PDA

View Full Version : 40GB 4G Ipod problems

Wul
3rd September 2004, 02:01 AM
Ok all you mac users!

Guy at work got a new 4G 40GB ipod and is having no end of problems trying to get it to talk to his laptop.

Dell Laptop with USB2 card running XP.

Any ideas out there?

Gismo
3rd September 2004, 02:13 AM
Assuming the 4G iPod has USB capability and not firewire then i would suggest he tries another USB device to confirm the USB is actually working.
If he plugs any USB device into the laptop XP should pick it up and then try and install it.

Also, has he downlaoded the latest iTunes etc he'll have to install some drivers for the iPod as XP does not store them in it's data base, that i'm aware of

Good luck and let us know how he gets on or gets it sorted, this kinda thing is right up ma street, no Gaj, not literally :evil:

GAJ
3rd September 2004, 03:01 AM
Buy a Mac, plug in the iPod, it will work!;)

macblob
3rd September 2004, 04:25 AM
Agrees wiff Gaj :D

Gismo
3rd September 2004, 04:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I'm sorry, i just couldn't bee seen dead in a dirty mac ;) besides, the iPod would only fit in one of the pockets 8) so how does that make it work on a laptop :eek:

The Dogfather
3rd September 2004, 05:41 AM
My advice would be to get a firewire card. I had no problems with a 3G and firewire Toshiba Laptop. Could be the fact he has a dell as they are pretty shat!

Wul
3rd September 2004, 06:48 PM
Bonnie & bad dog mini - thanks for the advice - i'll pass it on.

GAJ & Macblob - you lads really need to get a new routine - that mac vs pc act is really getting to be old hat now! ;)

any more ideas out there - keep em coming!!

minidriver#1
3rd September 2004, 10:06 PM

the funniest thing about that statement is that the ipod is more compatible with PCs than Macs.

GAJ
3rd September 2004, 10:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit
the funniest thing about that statement is that the ipod is more compatible with PCs than Macs.

Eh???The funniest thing about that statement is that it isn't!! Trust me! I'm on my third iPod!;)

3GGG
3rd September 2004, 11:19 PM
So what is the nature of the problem Wul? - iTunes not seeing the iPod at all when it is connected or what?
May just be a driver problem.

Wul
4th September 2004, 12:41 AM

quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

Eh???The funniest thing about that statement is that it isn't!! Trust me! I'm on my third iPod!;)

is that because the previous two got busted speaking to a mac? :blackeye::p

Wul
4th September 2004, 12:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

So what is the nature of the problem Wul? - iTunes not seeing the iPod at all when it is connected or what?
May just be a driver problem.

Well - firstly despite having loaded up the driver for the pcmia usb2 card and installing all the new ipod drivers etc - as soon as the ipod is docked a bubble pops up saying the ipos is a high speed unit connected to a low speed port - even though it's not!!

then when he tries to update the ipod it doesnae copy the songs onto the ipod even though it pretends to!

after fully unstalling ands re-installing all software it's still doing the same.

bizarre!

minidriver#1
4th September 2004, 12:59 AM
lol. its the truth man. The IPod is actually more compatible with PCs because both Windows 2000 and XP are supported. Doesnt the IPod require OS X? This effectively isolates anyone on anything less from the ipod.. Even Mac User stated this fact in their review of the IPod.

I'm a PC user but i like to keep an eye on Apple.

3GGG
4th September 2004, 04:32 AM
You are correct about the iPod requiring Mac OS X on the Mac. However, all Macs for at least 2 years have OS X and Mac OS 9 is no longer in development. Most Macs that are still running OS9 probably don't have Firewire ports anyway, so it is a moot point. ITunes for the PC doesn't support Windows 95 or 98 does it?

So, lets all calm down, its only a commercial!

Anyways, getting back to the original problem, Have you completely uninstalled iTunes using the advice here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93698) ?

Then install a fresh copy of the latest itunes downloaded from the website, not from the CDROM.

A good place to look for specific help is the Apple discussions
click here (http://discussions.info.apple.com)

Let us know how progress goes.

macblob
4th September 2004, 04:34 AM
most mac users update there os to the new ones anyway cause they actually have an interest in the machines unlike the vast percentage of windows users.

I was running osx before I bought an ipod so not to sure if they work in os9 but my imac is now over 4.5 yrs old and still running most up to date software no probs....incl the ipod.

Hehehe u gotta luv the enternal mac v pc battle lol :D

3GGG
4th September 2004, 04:41 AM
Wul, found this on the Apple Discussions site - it looks like a close match to the problem:

USB 2.0 QUESTIONS

iPods can work with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 in addition to 4- and 6-pin FireWire. To find out if your PC has USB 2.0 or not:

Right click on My Computer, whether on your desktop or in the Start Menu, then click the "Hardware" tab. Click the "Device Manager" button. Scroll down to the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" group and click the + to the left of it. In the new list, look for something like "Standard Enhanced USB Host Controller" or "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller."

If you do not see either of those two, or you see "Standard USB Host Controller," then you only have USB 1.1, most likely.

Another way is to just plug a USB 2.0 device, like a USB key, into your computer, and if you don't have USB 2.0, Windows XP will display a bubble saying "A HI-SPEED DEVICE IS CONNECTED INTO A NON HI-SPEED PORT."

Sometimes Windows will display this because Windows doesn't know how to understand USB 2.0. If you're pretty sure you have USB 2.0, but Windows still says you don't, make sure you have most of the critical and driver updates from Windows Update (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com). If that doesn't work, reinstall your motherboard drivers. If that doesn't work, and the device manager doesn't have the word "Enhanced" in your "Universal Serial Bus controllers," you don't have USB 2.0.

I also noted that someone said SP2 for XP caused a problem...

3GGG
4th September 2004, 04:48 AM
Another thread indicates that there can be a clash with Norton Anti Virus software - try temporarily rebooting with NAV off and see if any better. You may want to disconnect from the Internet when playing around with NAV on a PC.

Wul
6th September 2004, 03:28 PM
cheers for all the tips David - will forward them on to the colleague and let you know how he gets on.