PDA

View Full Version : Cooper park lane, worth remapping??

Kmac
2nd September 2014, 10:18 PM
Hi folks, new to the mini scene and looking for a bit advice? got the girlfriend a tidy wee cooper park lane edition! nice wee motor to drive and just wondering if they're worth remapping or better just leaving it standard? Does a remap make much difference to these motors? Any advice or tips? Cheers!

Mon the fish
3rd September 2014, 06:15 AM
For what it'll cost you'll get naff-all power from it. CAI, exhaust and remap might see you 10-15 bhp more if you're lucky

Angib
3rd September 2014, 11:30 AM
Yep, this engine is pretty much fully wound-up already.

For a naturally-aspirated engine that revs to make power, it has bearable bottom end torque from the VANOS system, if not actual grunt. Anything you can add at top end is quite likely to take away from the bottom end, so that it will feel slower in everyday driving.

Kmac
3rd September 2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks folks, will just leave it as it is, she who must be obeyed will have to suffer normally aspirated madness!! lol

Kmac
3rd September 2014, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but would rather keep the exhaust standard, canny bide cars that are all blow and nae go! lol

Crombers
4th September 2014, 02:49 PM
I've never been tempted to re-map due to the simple fact that the R50 Cooper (Chrysler) engine is basically a tuned R50 One (more gains to be made re-mapping a MINI One).

I've fitted a full Playmini (manifold, cat & stainless back box) exhaust and a K&N induction kit (will probably revert back to K&N panel filter as some say the Induction Kit is detrimental to bhp due to sooking in hot air & not the required 'cold' from the engine bay) which does give it a bit more ooomph.

I'm however still happy after 10 plus years of ownership :thumbs up:

Gez
5th September 2014, 01:13 PM
Ive done what crombers has done but i have also decatted my playmini. Ill be putting a piper cam and my ported head in the car in the near future. I would agree theres not much you can do with an r50, but if you sort the suspension and get better pads your r50 will keep up with an s in the twistys

Eddie_JCW
5th September 2014, 02:32 PM
Ive done what crombers has done but i have also decatted my playmini. Ill be putting a piper cam and my ported head in the car in the near future. I would agree theres not much you can do with an r50, but if you sort the suspension and get better pads your r50 will keep up with an s in the twistys

Depending on the driver of said S :p :lol:

Gez
5th September 2014, 02:41 PM
Well I wasnt far behind you anyways ;D half the power twice the driver hahaha! Joking ;D

Eddie_JCW
5th September 2014, 02:44 PM
We won't go there :lol:

Crombers
5th September 2014, 03:34 PM
Depending on the driver of said S :p :lol:

Ere we go again ............ Gez, time to lay down the gauntlet :p :rolleyes:

It will obviously be driver dependent and over the years I have witnessed a few Coopers having a right good 'tussle' in the twisties with their more powerfull sibling.

I'm sure many others will note and may even comment that NOBODY would argue or even contemplate matching up to the likes of John Barrie driving a Cooper (maybe even a One) on a winding Highland road :motoring:

My own experience was on my first Cullen Run in 2005 as we made our way south from Cullen to Grantown on Spey over the A95 and being followed by a couple of young pups from Englandshire in their 'S's (which were rather tastily fitted with Lambrini exhaust systems). Prior to the road opening up after Ballindalloch you are treated to miles upon miles of twisting heaven. As we 'steadily' progressed I recall thinking to myself 'I'm gonna be holding these guys up' but as we 'pushed it' it became apparent that I was the one opening up the gaps, ......... this was huge FUN.
Naturally as we started straightening out I was reeled in & both cars were able to pass with their epic exhaust systems crackling & spitting ......... superb

Now later on that evening one the 'said' young pups approached me in the bar in Aviemore to introduce himself. We chatted about our day and he firstly commented on the superb driving roads that Scotland had to offer. His next comment I liked. "That was some drive this afternoon, those roads really suit your car, what have you done to it"?
When I advised him that it was a standard Cooper the jaw dropped & he retorted along the lines with ......... (& I loved this bit)

"***k off, you are kidding us on ...... we were really struggling to keep up with you"

Now when folks say that they "only have a Cooper" I always recall the above and have a wee/big wry smile to myself :hand:

MINI William
5th September 2014, 03:35 PM
Well I wasnt far behind you anyways ;D half the power twice the driver hahaha! Joking ;D

We won't go there :lol:

I would keep quiet about that day Jamie :Whistle:

Eddie_JCW
5th September 2014, 03:44 PM
Oh I can believe that Crombers! I was on Duncan's Deeside run and at no point on the twisties did I feel like I was being held up and when we were on Craig's Loch Tay run last year I was amazed at how well he kept up on that too.

I can't wait for the Highland tour :) just realised you were talking about the Cullen run :oops:

Crombers
5th September 2014, 03:51 PM
Oh I can believe that Crombers! I was on Duncan's Deeside run and at no point on the twisties did I feel like I was being held up and when we were on Craig's Loch Tay run last year I was amazed at how well he kept up on that too.

I can't wait for the Highland tour :) just realised you were talking about the Cullen run :oops:

You will love it ...... (imo) it's the best run of the year ....... in a word its 'EPIC' :yes nod:

Gez
5th September 2014, 05:07 PM
I would keep quiet about that day Jamie :Whistle:
Hahaha! Point taken

Kmac
7th September 2014, 10:58 AM
It's the girlfriends car so I'll just leave it the way it is, it handles well enough and just put new brakes front and rear on it, as for blowing away cooper s's on the twisty bits, I'll use my s3 for that and leave her cooper at home!! Lol