PDA

View Full Version : Camskill

donnaj1dlh
22nd August 2014, 08:22 AM
Anyone used Camskill for tyres? I've only used mytyres (which I've found really good) but seen some decent winter tyres from Camskill that seem a lot cheaper than anywhere else.
Pirelli Sottozero II - anyone had any experience of these??? They don't have the traditional winter tread (V pattern 'tractor' style tread) so I'm not sure how they'll be. They appear to be £348 for four though. Compared to my £650 for RCZ tyres, they're a steal :)

Got my TMPS valves yesterday, so just need to decide on tyres - seen black OZ alloys I like so looking at around £950 all in - about £400 cheaper than MINI OEM ones :moonie:

Alex from NM
22nd August 2014, 09:57 AM
Yes I have and their service is top notch

Craig
22nd August 2014, 12:09 PM
Yeah that's where I buy all my tyres from - great service. D best price on internet :)

Never used the pirellis as they are too expensive. My favourite winters are either Goodyear Ultragrip, Nokian WR range or Hankook Winter iCept RS :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donnaj1dlh
22nd August 2014, 12:53 PM
The Ultragrip 8 and Nokian WR were on my list too.
The same Pirelli was on TyreShopper for £187!!! Mytyres had it for £96ish.

Angib
22nd August 2014, 07:28 PM
My first winters were Pirellis and they were damn fine tyres, both in snow and on dry/wet roads. I heard Nokians were good so tried them on my second set. Their performance in slush was mind-bogglingly good - you couldn't feel when you were in the wheeltracks of the car in front as they were so immune to whether there was snow/slush or not. Also very good on dry/black ice.

However, they weren't a great tyre on dry/wet roads above freezing - and after all, that's what winter roads are like 90-95% of the time.

I've settled on Contis after my third set as the best compromise for winter tyres - best on wet/dry roads, great on dry ice and perfectly good enough on snow. If I lived in Scanwegia I might pick winter tyres for their snow performance but in the British Isles it doesn't make much sense. No point being able to conquer blizzards if it means you can't go round a wet roundabout quickly.

badwolf340
22nd August 2014, 07:56 PM
Always used black circles and have had some excellent service

MINI William
22nd August 2014, 08:28 PM
As above always used Black Circles without any problems

teslar
22nd August 2014, 08:36 PM
Anyone know if 1 series wheels would fit for the r56 cooper S. I ask coz I've got a near new set of winter tyres on alloys from my 1 series and it would be good if I could use them

Sorry to hijack your thread

donnaj1dlh
22nd August 2014, 09:23 PM
My first winters were Pirellis and they were damn fine tyres, both in snow and on dry/wet roads. I heard Nokians were good so tried them on my second set. Their performance in slush was mind-bogglingly good - you couldn't feel when you were in the wheeltracks of the car in front as they were so immune to whether there was snow/slush or not. Also very good on dry/black ice.

However, they weren't a great tyre on dry/wet roads above freezing - and after all, that's what winter roads are like 90-95% of the time.

I've settled on Contis after my third set as the best compromise for winter tyres - best on wet/dry roads, great on dry ice and perfectly good enough on snow. If I lived in Scanwegia I might pick winter tyres for their snow performance but in the British Isles it doesn't make much sense. No point being able to conquer blizzards if it means you can't go round a wet roundabout quickly.

so you'd recommend the Pirelli then? IF we get snow up here, we usually get a decent dump and the road I live on (very rural) is never gritted/ploughed. I always liked my Vreds but fancied a change. Having said that they were useless last year due to it not being cold enough. Grip was shockingly bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone know if 1 series wheels would fit for the r56 cooper S. I ask coz I've got a near new set of winter tyres on alloys from my 1 series and it would be good if I could use them

Och, don't worry...hope someone can answer your question!

teslar
22nd August 2014, 09:27 PM
I've used vederstien winters they are very good

Mon the fish
22nd August 2014, 09:55 PM

Is the 1er not 5 stud? If so then no is the answer

MINI William
22nd August 2014, 10:51 PM

R56 are 4 Stud and 1 Series is 5 Stud so your 1 Series wheels won't fit

teslar
22nd August 2014, 11:37 PM
Saves me getting them out of the outhouse so thanks :)

Angib
23rd August 2014, 11:06 AM
so you'd recommend the Pirelli then?
I would pick Pirelli over Nokian for normal winter use, but can't compare to Vredestein as I've never had them. It seems odd to choose an Eyetalian winter tyre, but they do get a lot of snow in some places so they care about winters.

bry_mini
30th August 2014, 04:59 PM
Have used camskill twice before, great price and service both times.