PDA

View Full Version : Loud engine rattle

Eddie
27th July 2014, 09:23 PM
Hi all. Developed a loud engine rattle the day sounds like lots of ball bearings underneath the intercooler on left hand side. Thinking chain tensioner?? Am sure she has always had a little rattle when cold but soon went away. Not as loud as this tho. Have no loss in power, all levels fine etc. I got a vid but duno how to post it on here. I put it on the Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moktabe
27th July 2014, 09:33 PM
Sounds like chain tensioner.

Eddie
27th July 2014, 09:35 PM
What am thinking but good for some others thoughts. Cany even load vid onto the Facebook lol.

EcosseGP
27th July 2014, 09:38 PM
Hell yeah that def sound like a chain tensioner .. Not much to replace it just a pain in the behind to do

jdl_1967
27th July 2014, 09:45 PM
Long screwdriver, place tip on engine close to the tensioner (rear of engine just above oil filter), place ear on handle, listen, move screwdriver away from this area repeating the listening process every 4-6"

Screwdriver should act as a stethoscope and if it is the tensioner, it should be the loudest when listening to the area where the tensioner is located.

If you're wearing a tie of any other loose clothing, remove or tuck away prior to starting the process in case this gets caught in the belt / pulleys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Eddie
27th July 2014, 10:01 PM
Long screwdriver, place tip on engine close to the tensioner (rear of engine just above oil filter), place ear on handle, listen, move screwdriver away from this area repeating the listening process every 4-6"

Screwdriver should act as a stethoscope and if it is the tensioner, it should be the loudest when listening to the area where the tensioner is located.

If you're wearing a tie of any other loose clothing, remove or tuck away prior to starting the process in case this gets caught in the belt / pulleys.

Well sorta try'd this but it just seems like all the rattling is cumming out the left ic horn. It's the loudest

jdl_1967
27th July 2014, 10:05 PM
Belt pulley? - rattle travelling up through the supercharger

My idler pulley went and caused a right racket

Eddie
27th July 2014, 10:13 PM
Pass. Go Sitech or mini morn n leave it till it's fixed. :)

Eddie
28th July 2014, 02:27 PM
Not long to get it fixed before mitp. Both garages I go can't look at it till next week. I have located rattle from water pump supercharger and pulley area. Really need to take belt off and start car and see if rattle goes away, then would pretty much have an idea what I need to buy. Just stressing with time scale to get it done. Would rip bumper off and prize off belt if I had tools n equipment grrr.

Mon the fish
28th July 2014, 03:56 PM
Could be charger dying

Eddie
28th July 2014, 04:05 PM
Think so. Looks like am best to just change water pump and charger. Be on the safe side. Still not 100 percent confirmed tho but think your right.

jdl_1967
28th July 2014, 04:35 PM
I've got a detensioning tool you can borrow if you want to take your belt off.

Mon the fish
28th July 2014, 07:05 PM
Don't pay more than £500 for a new charger

Eddie
28th July 2014, 07:54 PM
I got that boy on the forums. He from Belgium. Think few on here have bought 1 from him. It's like 700 euro. So 525 ish

Eddie
28th July 2014, 07:57 PM
Just going to put a new water pump in at same time. Any 1 know anything else I should do while there?? Was thinking bout renewing chain tensioner, guides and chain aswell. Does this come in a package or need to get all the bits separate. Cheers.

Mon the fish
28th July 2014, 09:03 PM
I bought one off him to keep as a spare.

Might as well do all that when you've got the front off, but you'll need to get it all separately AFAIK

Eddie
28th July 2014, 10:04 PM
He just replyd and won't have any till beginning of next week. Gutted. Now thinking bout just driving down to Roland at Gtt and just getting him to fix the situation and everything else he thinks need done over 2days. Just cost of him recon my charger will probs be the same as that guys brand new 1s. (Bit crap) but on the plus side at least I will know the mini will be 100 percent and I think that's the main thing. :/

Eddie
29th July 2014, 04:13 PM
Update on situation. Am leaving house at 11pm the night to drive to gtt in blandford for 2days work by the best (my option) then home for thur night :)

badwolf340
29th July 2014, 07:15 PM
Keep us up to date. :thumbs up:

Caldean
31st July 2014, 11:15 PM
Howd yu get on m8t

Eddie
1st August 2014, 09:45 AM
Had lost 2gears out the supercharger. Full Gtt supercharger rebuild plus sum and now car sounds best it's ever done.

Gismo
1st August 2014, 11:09 AM
Good result, bit sore on the wallet, but, peace of mind :thumbs up:

CiderFex
1st August 2014, 11:51 AM
I saw the pics on FB.
Glad you're all sorted now.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Eddie
1st August 2014, 01:59 PM
Cheers guys. The car has never sounded so good.

Caldean
1st August 2014, 08:30 PM
How much did it cost for the supercharger rebuld

Eddie
1st August 2014, 10:34 PM
No sure lol. I got other stuff done aswell. But I am sure they have a post on it on there Facebook and on last page of link it gives u price.