PDA

View Full Version : New Car - Breaking In Engine Advice

Alan
21st July 2014, 05:30 PM
Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum, did a quick search but possibly not using the correct term. I am due to take delivery of my new Mini Cooper in September (maybe a bit ahead of myself here), and really looking for advice on how the car should be driven to correctly break the engine in. It's the first time I have owned a car from new and want the engine to be as flexible and run as well as it can. I have read loads of different tips and techniques online, some which seem to be opposite to others, and yet some that say modern cars don't require any break in/wear in type driving and can be driven as normal from new.

Keen to hear what you guys think? Is a 3 pot likely to need a different procedure to other engines?

New to the forum, so if I have missed a section somewhere someone please point it out - did try a search up the top but to no avail.

Cheers

Mon the fish
21st July 2014, 06:09 PM
It'll be no different to other engines. Various revs, don't redline it etc. See what the handbook says

MINI William
21st July 2014, 06:49 PM
Don't labour the engine, no full throttle, use various revs without having the engine screaming all the way to the redline etc you get the jist. Others will say drive it like you stole it, I was brought up to always run a car in and I always have and I fell that my cars have been all the better for it.

Alex from NM
21st July 2014, 06:52 PM
Now I was told off an engine developer to thrash them to expose any weaknesses quickly and beds in the valve seats better

Just goes to show it's one of those things which no one really knows. Do what feels right to you

tangledfeet
21st July 2014, 07:16 PM
One thing that the manual for the new F56 Cooper doesn't seem to mention is turbo cool down period... I know my wife's car (Kia Sorento 4x4 with big turbo-diesel) states that you should let the engine run for a moment or two.

But then with the auto-stop/start at traffic lights on the new Mini I suppose they must have thought of this...

Mon the fish
21st July 2014, 07:30 PM
Turbo cool-down only really matters if you've been ragging it

badwolf340
21st July 2014, 07:38 PM
Reading the posts it's covered by William and Mon no more needs said :yes nod:

donnaj1dlh
21st July 2014, 08:04 PM
My manual for the F56 MCS says to stick to under 4500rpm and sub-100mph for the first 1200 miles. Hope that helps?

Alan
22nd July 2014, 09:05 AM
Hi Everyone, thanks for all the replies - this is why I love forums :) Yeah everything above has been what I have read, a couple of folk have now said seperatly that the car should be driven hard to expose weakness, however my gut says to go with the approach Mon the fish and MINI William mention, various revs but don't redline the car, it makes more sense to me that this would be sensible.

donnaj1dlh Perfect thanks, that answers my next question...how long should the run in period be :)

Thanks everyone, now the hard part...waiting for the car to arrive ;) Keep seeing more and more on the road which is only making it worse ;)

Cheers

AndyP & Lenore
22nd July 2014, 11:14 PM
Every mechanic I've spoken with has always said the same. Drive it like you stole it. I'm not suggesting you should do that, I'm just saying of those I've spoken with who actually work on the engines, have all pretty well discounted what is in most vehicle handbooks which is to keep below 4,500rpm, not to redline and keep the speed under 100 - as others have said.

I tend to sit between a stolen drive and a sensible drive - which may even be the worst thing to do.:lol:

But regardless of how you decide to "run in" your engine, bear in mind there's more to the car than the engine; brakes, suspension, gearbox, etc, etc will all require a bit more care and consideration than driving it like it's been stolen. Brakes especially.:smilewinkgrin:

EcosseGP
23rd July 2014, 03:02 AM
I'd personally thrash it from day one but I understand why they tell you to take it easy as it gives time for everything to bed in. Like Andy says if anything take time to bed the brakes in properly ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
23rd July 2014, 06:18 AM
Just make sure all fluids are up to temp (same goes for all cars). Takes about 15 mins for the oil to be up to temp, which is far more critical than coolant temp

Alan
29th July 2014, 01:11 PM
cheers Mon the fish & MiniiGP.

Think I will take the mixed approach, not redlining it, but giving it good variations in revs once upto temp. :)

donnaj1dlh
29th July 2014, 01:47 PM
My F56 reached 1200 this morning .... roll on 5 o'clock and the back roads home!!!