PDA

View Full Version : camshaft retarded help needed

djlow1969
10th July 2014, 10:58 PM
hi all just done a diagnostic and I got a code p0012 and it says camshaft retarded what does this mean help needed

Sideways Steve
10th July 2014, 11:05 PM
Could be a few things, reset it and leave it a few days then see if the code comes back.

If it does come back it could be a camshaft angle sensor issue but it could also be a stretched timing chain causing the camshafts to be slightly out of alignment with each other, that results in one being more retarded than it should be which is then picked up by the sensors and logged in the ECU as a retarded code.

The reason I say try clearing it is that sometimes you can get a code thrown up randomly when starting the engine.

Has your engine management light come on at all ? when the car is cold and you first start it can you hear any ticking/tapping coming from one side of the engine when your standing outside the car ?

djlow1969
11th July 2014, 09:56 AM
there is a service light on and it is saying the rear pads but I have just replaced the rear discs and pads do I have to take it to BMW to get rid of the light

Sideways Steve
11th July 2014, 10:14 AM
That's ok it wouldn't be the service light it would be the check engine light.

Does the car still drive ok ? Does it feel hesitant or sluggish ?

P.s you know you can reset the service lights yourself in the hidden menu ?

- - - Updated - - -

Try this - http://www.mini2.com/forum/maintenance-mini-care/155670-r56-service-brake-lights-etc-reset-proceedure.html

- - - Updated - - -

Don't give up if it doesn't work first time, there's a bit of a knack to it but once you have done it once you will find it easy !

djlow1969
11th July 2014, 05:52 PM
jobs a good one all done thank you very much can now book MOT yours david