PDA

View Full Version : MIGHTY MINI COOPER MIGHTY MINI MIGHTYNESS

sleepyrascal
30th August 2004, 09:03 AM
This is pretty mad. Has anyone seen the Ford F150. Basically , its a big massive pick up thing which is the most popular selling family car in the states. Some strange scientist people decided to crash one at 40 mph to see what would happen. Then, in their eternal wisdom, decided to do the same.... with a mini cooper.

The results are surprising. Take particular notice of the leg area of each car! The scientists reckon that the supreme engineering involved in the construction of the BMW mini, is why it performs so well in crashes!

BOTH CARS WERE CRASHED INTO THE SAME WALL AT 40 MPH USING EXACTLY THE SAME CONDITIONS FOR EACH CAR.

http://www.minispace.co.uk/blog/images/minicrash3.jpg

Duncan Stewart
30th August 2004, 04:58 PM
I'd read that big 4X4s were less safe in a crash than passenger cars but that is frightening!

The Dogfather
31st August 2004, 04:45 AM
What a waste of a MINI but I guess its one less yank tank.

lightbody
31st August 2004, 06:27 AM
This goes for all large vehicles of that type - did you see Top Gear when they had the Freelander on after its crash test? It was much worse than the Fiesta next to it which had had the same crash test.

Its all to do with mass & weight I guess... if a vehicle weighs twice as much, its also going to have to be much, much stronger to absorb all that energy... someone who understands Physics can elaborate i'm sure!

Smurf
31st August 2004, 03:54 PM
The scariest thing is that the test was only done at 40mph..........

Look at the mess of them, and I'll bet it's only half the speed most drivers regularly do!!

:(