PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading suspension on r53

bry_mini
5th July 2014, 02:24 PM
After i take care of the mechanical bits and bobs ill be upgrading my suspension.
The standard shocks are prety soft (probably from age).
Thinking of going the shock and spring route as im not fusses about adjustable height stuff. Although i wouldnt mind a small drop to get rid of some gap but nothing stupid low as it still want to take this car everywhere(camping ect).
Budget wont be huge, maybe upto £600.
Any recomendations to what i should be looking at? As always theres loads of choice so i dont know where to start.
Thanks

Mon the fish
5th July 2014, 02:34 PM
Speak to Orranje, either APs or BCs. If you put springs on shocks that weren't designed for them, you're taking them out of their designed operating range.

Do it once, do it right - fit coils. When you're at it, replace the ball joints and front lower rear wishbone bushes

MINI William
5th July 2014, 03:15 PM
Speak to Rich @ Orranje and he will sort you out. Top guy

bry_mini
5th July 2014, 05:23 PM
Mon- the reasoning behind me thinking a shock and spring combo (eg:koni sport kit) was that i didnt think i could get a good enough set of coils for thay budget.
Would a £600 set of coils be up to the job?
As i said im no fussed about going really low. 30-40mm would be enough.

Ill drop rich @ orranje an email when im ready to go ahead and see what he can do with my budget.

Mon the fish
5th July 2014, 05:28 PM
They'll be far better than springs, that's for sure. Orranje don't sell rubbish

bry_mini
5th July 2014, 05:29 PM
Oh and yes ill be looking at doin the bushes ect before i do the suspension.
Rear anti roll bar bushes already done.
Front lower rear wishbone bushes have been done not so long ago by previous owner but i might swap these out for polybushes for a little more stiffness/feel.
Front arb bushes are needing done.
Any others i should do while im at it??

Mon the fish
5th July 2014, 05:58 PM
Engine mounts, gearbox mount, steering rack, ball joints.

Minis just make you spend money!

bry_mini
5th July 2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks! Yeah the engine and gearbox mounts seem to be past it, ill look into those also. What would you recommend, full replacements or inserts?

Mon the fish
5th July 2014, 07:03 PM
Orranje can sort you out with powerflex bushes

stoney
5th July 2014, 09:05 PM
You get aP's or BC for around the £600 mark

bry_mini
6th July 2014, 09:51 AM
You get aP's or BC for around the £600 mark

I see on the orranje site thers a few around that price. AP, ST x and cobra evo i.
Ever used any these stoney?
Id love to hear from someone running a set to get a good idea of how they are on the road. Its a bit of an expense to be dissapointed.

stoney
6th July 2014, 10:57 AM
Well I am running the BC BR on my clubman and can not flat them tbh even went well on track
I have been told AP's are very good for there money as well

badwolf340
6th July 2014, 10:58 AM
AP's get good reviews on R56 don't see any reason why they would not be good on R53

Mon the fish
6th July 2014, 12:15 PM
Plenty stuff on MT about APs - by all accounts at the softer end of the coilover scale, and therefore comfier than stock

Gez
6th July 2014, 01:34 PM
Ive got Meister R coilovers and they're fantastic. More expensive but worth it.

stoney
6th July 2014, 02:27 PM
Ive got Meister R coilovers and they're fantastic. More expensive but worth it.

I have been told there good but not as competent as the BC I have been told that the BC with a spring change can be as good if not better than some of your top end coils

Mon the fish
6th July 2014, 03:00 PM
Meister's are stiffer, and come with adjustable top mounts on the front and remote damper adjustment. Not sure what you get with BCs.

I have Meister's, you're welcome to try my car if you want. It's been sat under cover for 5 weeks, would be good if someone used it...

jonnie
6th July 2014, 03:19 PM
Meister's are stiffer, and come with adjustable top mounts on the front and remote damper adjustment. Not sure what you get with BCs.

I have Meister's, you're welcome to try my car if you want. It's been sat under cover for 5 weeks, would be good if someone used it...
Not thinking of changing my suspension but after reading your 'its taken awhile' thread if you want someone to take the car out :motoring::lol:

Mon the fish
6th July 2014, 03:45 PM
As long as you're at least 6'2, the buckets are bolted to the floor (I'm 6'4)

stoney
6th July 2014, 05:19 PM

You get adjustable camber on the front and dampeners all round with the BC you also get new drop links with the BC

I have found them very good as an all rounder think I need to stiffon the back a bit tho as got it set soft as it can go !!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/07/3ahytyva.jpg

Mon the fish
6th July 2014, 05:50 PM
BCs it is then! Quite a lot for your money

stoney
6th July 2014, 06:15 PM
BCs it is then! Quite a lot for your money

Yep that's the main reason I went for them saves getting extra top mounts for camber and drop links if you want to go low

Mon the fish
6th July 2014, 06:23 PM
^^ Not necessarily for going low - allows you to fine tune your setup. I run -1.5 at the front for good initial turn-in bite, and drop links to keep pre-load off the bars

stoney
6th July 2014, 06:41 PM
^^ Not necessarily for going low - allows you to fine tune your setup. I run -1.5 at the front for good initial turn-in bite, and drop links to keep pre-load off the bars

I run about 1.2 at the front as it's a daily use car but seems to work well

bry_mini
6th July 2014, 07:15 PM
Not sure i would like the ride as soft or softer than standard so that would rule out the APs.
BC br look a good bet with topmounts included. I would like to be able to fine tune camber. Slightly more than the budget i had set though.

stoney
6th July 2014, 07:20 PM
Not sure i would like the ride as soft or softer than standard so that would rule out the APs.
BC br look a good bet with topmounts included. I would like to be able to fine tune camber. Slightly more than the budget i had set though.

If you want a shot of mine then your welcome and speak with Rich from Orranje he may well be able to do you a good deal I would defo go coils over springs tho !!

Mon the fish
6th July 2014, 09:41 PM
Meister's here if you want to try mine

bry_mini
6th July 2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the offers guys, id love to feel how they actualy feel on the road.

bry_mini
20th August 2014, 09:51 PM
Finally got the finger out and booked in for wishbone and anti roll bar bushes to be replaced.
Next up will be rear control arms.
Still undecided on what suspension to get lol.

bry_mini
30th August 2014, 05:07 PM
Bushes done. Allignment done. Back to handling as a mini should, happy days.
Tackled the passenger side outer balljoint myself :) that solved the slight knock.
Just geting all the basics sorted first before the coilovers go on, think i may even do wheels and upgrade the tyres next.
Decisions, decisions!

davidmacdonald306
21st September 2014, 01:38 PM
Hi guys I'm new to the forum and the info is really helping, I'm looking to get coilover in the near future so keep us up to date with what you go for bry_mini and what you think.

badwolf340
21st September 2014, 08:45 PM
Hi guys I'm new to the forum and the info is really helping, I'm looking to get coilover in the near future so keep us up to date with what you go for bry_mini and what you think.

David where are you from, there are a few peeps with coilovers that you could have a run in their cars and help you chose :yes nod:

davidmacdonald306
21st September 2014, 09:29 PM
I stay in Perth, that would be great, nothing like seeing a product first hand before forking out 700+