PDA

View Full Version : Reduced pulley advice

bry_mini
5th July 2014, 01:01 PM
So i have decided to hold onto my r53 and do some mods/upgrades and maintenance to keep me happy. Hopefully it will become my second/weekend car by the end of the year.
Booking it in for full service, charger belt change, pollybushing and any other bits that would benefit from renewing.
One of the first mods i was thinking about is the obvious reduced pulley.(may aswell as the belt is geting changed)
As far as i can work out the jcw pack already has a reduced pulley over the standard S. So i would probably opt for the 15-17% pulley.
Which brand of pulley is recomended? Too many to choose from.
Also i realise this will mean an intercooler upgrade to cope with the extra heat produced.
Same question here, which brand is recomended?
Thanks

Mon the fish
5th July 2014, 01:24 PM
Jcw is 11% reduced. 17% will give you quite a bit in the midrange, less so at the top end.

Gp/GRS/Airtec are the favourites, GP if you prefer the stock look, Airtec for vfm. Kavs pulleys come recommended, as the centre is the same, meaning you can change the outer easily.
I decided to stay with the 11% pulley as I wanted power right to the redline. I went the cam and tune route instead, but a pulley is your best bet for bang for buck

Stavy
5th July 2014, 01:27 PM
I just got a kavs 18% pulley fitted I just emailed them and paid through pay pal also message rich at orrange he does a kit with pulley belt and plugs I also bought a cravenspeed pulley puller if you want to borrow it they can be a nightmare to get off if you don't have the right tool

bry_mini
5th July 2014, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys!
17% sound best bet for me then giving extra midrange as this is probably the most useful are to have the power.
Cam and tune would probably be futher down the line after i sort the suspension out.
Not so fussed about having the stock look under the bonnet. So possibly the airtek cooler.

You have me thinking now.....
The car has 74k mls on it now so would this be wise to reduce the pulley now??

Thanks for the offer on the pulley puller but i wouldnt be confident enough to fit this on my own haha.
Im going to pop into performancetek in the next couple of weeks and see if this is something they can do for me along with the other bits and bobs.

Mon the fish
5th July 2014, 02:31 PM
Your charger will go at some point, any point from say 80k to 100k (ish). There's a guy on MT selling brand new ones, I've bought one to keep as a spare. Stick a 17% on your old one, get a spare as insurance and enjoy the whine!

bry_mini
5th July 2014, 05:32 PM
I would be happy if it lasted up to 100k as i dont do much milage anyway.
Ill budget for a new charger also......jeez this is getting expensive haha

Mon the fish
5th July 2014, 06:01 PM
Yep! The problem with the charger dying is that the water pump is gear driven off it, so at your mileage a spare is handy. A 17% pulley spins it outwith it's design tolerances, so it will wear out quicker

EcosseGP
5th July 2014, 06:44 PM
What you had done already ? You got exhaust, manifold and sports cat / decat ?
Had it on a rolling road see how it's running ?

bry_mini
5th July 2014, 06:51 PM
Ah i see, thanks for the quick advice! Sure helps me get my head around it

Mon the fish
5th July 2014, 07:04 PM
Sort out an intake as well, if you don't have the JCW one

bry_mini
5th July 2014, 07:22 PM
What you had done already ? You got exhaust, manifold and sports cat / decat ?
Had it on a rolling road see how it's running ?

Nothing, car is a standard jcw 200bhp.
I plan on having a health check before i do any mods.

bry_mini
5th July 2014, 07:22 PM
Sort out an intake as well, if you don't have the JCW one

Yeah ill prob order up the orranje intake

Mon the fish
5th July 2014, 07:26 PM
Intake and pulley will see you some nice gains

bry_mini
5th July 2014, 07:36 PM
Cant wait to start ordering up the bits, off on holiday this monday so ill make a final list up and start when im back.

stoney
6th July 2014, 06:16 PM
Orranje do a air box and pulley kit for a good price ;)

bry_mini
6th July 2014, 06:43 PM
My mate has a pulley he bought and never fitted, just waiting for him to dig it out and let me know the size.
Orranje air box is on the list though 😎

stoney
6th July 2014, 07:20 PM
My mate has a pulley he bought and never fitted, just waiting for him to dig it out and let me know the size.
Orranje air box is on the list though 😎

Even better 👍

EcosseGP
6th July 2014, 08:43 PM
I think you'd be better starting with a manifold first and sort the brakes rather than the pulley ... Think you'd get a better car that way !
Better to get the car stopping before increasing the speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
6th July 2014, 09:43 PM
^^ Aye, handling before power. The stock brakes just aren't up to the job. R56S discs and calipers will see you fine

bry_mini
6th July 2014, 09:57 PM
I think you'd be better starting with a manifold first and sort the brakes rather than the pulley ... Think you'd get a better car that way !
Better to get the car stopping before increasing the speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed, brakes will be sorted. Probably r56 calipers, brembo disks n pads of some sort.
Undecided on what to do with the exhaust, dont want anything loud, probably just manifold with standard cat onto my jcw cat back.

nobbyclark
6th August 2014, 12:36 PM
I am still contemplating the reduced pulley route for my 67k R53 that I bought way back in 2002. I have pretty much decided on the 17% reduction and intercooler from Orranje. My question is, who can fit this? I live in Perth.

EcosseGP
6th August 2014, 12:45 PM
Sorry I'm not from the Perth area but if you want to travel south a few miles I'll be able to help you with a garage that would be happy to assist ...

Craig
6th August 2014, 12:47 PM
Any reputable garage should be able to do it as some home mechanics have done it themselves. A Pulley "Puller" makes the job easier if they have one in their tool box

nobbyclark
6th August 2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks; yes, happy to travel. I did ask my local garage and he said he would try and track down a pulley puller, but no joy.

EcosseGP
6th August 2014, 01:26 PM
Phone Pauline on 01324 831408 (E Burgoyne and Sons, Halls of Airth) and she'll help you. Tell her Davy told you to call. You're only about 25 minutes down the motorway. Any problems let me know ...

jdl_1967
6th August 2014, 05:11 PM
+1 for Burgoynes.

They sorted my cracked head and their service is second to none. I'm booked in next week for my MOT and new wishbone bushes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nobbyclark
7th August 2014, 06:48 PM
Phone Pauline on 01324 831408 (E Burgoyne and Sons, Halls of Airth) and she'll help you. Tell her Davy told you to call. You're only about 25 minutes down the motorway. Any problems let me know ...

That is great; really appreciate it; will let you know how it goes.

EcosseGP
7th August 2014, 07:13 PM
Nipped in to see them today and they said no problem just phone "Chris" knows about it !! :)