PDA

View Full Version : New Member - First Time Mini Owner

Alan
27th June 2014, 11:24 AM
Hi Guys,

Thought I would introduce myself and say hello. I have not long signed up to the forum. I am going down tomorrow to arrange to buy my first Mini although I believe I may be waiting until September for delivery. Keen to hear your thoughts on any optional extras that are worth adding to the car. Below is what I am looking at:

2014 Mini Cooper 1.5 Petrol
Pepper Pack
Driving Modes
Media Pack XL
Heated Seats
Mini TLC
Chrome Packs Inside and Out

Test driven a couple of these new coopers and they seem really well built lively cars.

Alan

Craig
27th June 2014, 11:35 AM
:welcome: Alan. Not a clue on the new models as it doesn't look like I'll be buying one for some considerable time but there are quite a few who have already got theirs or waiting on delivery who will most certainly help out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colin
27th June 2014, 12:12 PM
:welcome:

MINI William
27th June 2014, 12:53 PM
Welcome to NMS. Sounds a greta spec

Eddie_JCW
27th June 2014, 01:17 PM
:welcome: only additions I'd make is the heads up display but it's seems to be like marmite at the moment but I found it great as when paired with the media pack XL it tells you the speed limit (part of driving assistant pack), current speed and the approaching turn you have to make, ideal if you're like me and prefer the nav on silent but I'm sure it also shows in the trip display.

What type of driving will you be using the car for? If it's mainly long distance then the driving assistant pack is a handy thing to have, adaptive cruise was great on motorways. But to be honest it really depends on your budget and if you can justify those extras. Two things I would recommend as a must are the LED headlights, especially if you're used to Xenons oh and the sport seats :thumbs up: but that's a great spec you have.

Eddie_JCW
27th June 2014, 01:20 PM
Jeez I'm starting to sound like a MINI sales person :argh: :lol:

badwolf340
27th June 2014, 01:25 PM
:welcome: enjoy the site Alan ,as Eddie says I would add heads up ,but thats only as I love gadgets :yes nod:

Gismo
27th June 2014, 01:29 PM

DigitalLemming
27th June 2014, 01:30 PM

Eddie_JCW
27th June 2014, 01:31 PM
:welcome: enjoy the site Alan ,as Eddie says I would add heads up ,but thats only as I love gadgets :yes nod:

Hehe I love gadgets too hence why I knew I needed the media pack in my car so I had more buttons (still missing 2 though :frown: heated windscreen&panoramic sunroof) and more stuff to play with :lol: especially MINI connected I will never get tired of all the cool apps just wish they'd hurry up and give us more.

mini mad andy
27th June 2014, 07:03 PM
Welcome to NMS, the heated windscreen is also worth thinking about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
27th June 2014, 07:29 PM
Welcome along Alan and any MINI is a great MINI :)
I'd go for the head up display too. I drove a car with it in and didn't think I'd like it when I first jumped in but I love it.
I'd go for the LEDs and sport seats too but like everything else it's all cost permitting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jdl_1967
27th June 2014, 07:35 PM
I love the sound of triples. I've had three cars with a 3 pot engine and all have given me great pleasure from their characterful engines. They actually sound a wee bit like a 911.

Not heard the Mini engine yet, but would be interested to hear your findings.

Also now the Coopers are turbocharged, it should mean cheaper tuning potential compared to old 4 pot Coopers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

weefossy
27th June 2014, 07:47 PM
Car sounds nice. Add as many extras as your budget allows. There's nothing worse, two months down the line, wishing you had added something. I also loved the "head up" display, especially when it shows the current speed limit.
Enjoy.

jonnie
27th June 2014, 09:42 PM
Wecome along. Cant give you any advice on the f56 but sure you will enjoy your mini.

Crombers
28th June 2014, 10:28 AM
Welcome to NMSland :saltireflag:

Duncan Stewart
28th June 2014, 08:57 PM
Welcome to NMS.

tangledfeet
28th June 2014, 10:40 PM
Welcome from another newbie!

I'm an F56 Cooper owner - no bells and whistles on mine so may not be able to offer much advice on the toys and trinkets you could go mad on! I'd be happy to let you have you have a poke around mine if you want to consider what you may want to add to your shopping list - whereabouts are you?

RobSco
28th June 2014, 10:48 PM
Hi

Welcome to New Mini Scotland... :thumbs up:

cuddles
29th June 2014, 07:15 AM
Welcome to NMS xx

Alan
8th July 2014, 12:08 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replys, not sure why but I never got a notification to say people had posted, thought I was unloved ;) All the advice is great, car is ordered and due sometime towards the end of September which is great thought since test driving I can't help but think I want my car now ;) Anyway I am sure it will be well worth the wait!

Heads Up Display - I just couldn't get on with it, it annoyed me a wee bit so chose not to have it. I do have the driver assistance pack though so active cruise control and some extra buttons to play with on long journeys. Heated seats also :)

Only one I fancied that I didn't go for was the parking assistance pack. Not that I see any issues parking the mini (came from a Jag Saloon and never had any bother, the mini is half the size ;) ) but simply the auto park button is always fun, had this on a few hire cars and tbh its a bit of a gimmick but its entertaining watching the wheel spin round and the car move into the space. The reason I didn't go with it was it required upgrading the wheels as well so a £500 odd nice to have quickly turns into £1100, and I couldn't really justify it.

tangledfeet Thanks for the offer, I am new Falkirk. I have seen in a few before ordering and test driven two. They are great little cars. How are you finding owning it? Have you had any mini's before, wonder how it compares? This will be my first mini, although friends & family have had a few and not met an owner yet that hasn't got rid of their mini to get another one or sold it and then regretted it, so that says something about them.

I look forward to becoming part of this club, seems a good bunch on here :) Any tips on how to pass the time quicker before September? ;)

Cheers

tangledfeet
8th July 2014, 12:29 PM
tangledfeet Thanks for the offer, I am new Falkirk. I have seen in a few before ordering and test driven two. They are great little cars. How are you finding owning it? Have you had any mini's before, wonder how it compares? This will be my first mini, although friends & family have had a few and not met an owner yet that hasn't got rid of their mini to get another one or sold it and then regretted it, so that says something about them.
Cheers

I love it! It's my first and may well turn out to be the first of a few over the years to come...

Got back yesterday after driving down to the West Country to see family and friends; did circa 1200 miles or so over the week. Cruises in 6th at only a couple of thousand rpm so is very relaxed driving, yet still has torque enough to accelerate without having to change down - so much torque at low revs that its almost like driving a diesel.

I #may# have got up to speeds well in excess of the motorway speed limit... fuel consumption close to 50mpg I think for this longer trip; I normally keep an accurate log but seem to have mislaid a couple of receipts.

Alan
8th July 2014, 12:38 PM
Awesome :) Always worried when having ordered such a new car incase its not as good as it looks/feels on the test drive :) So glad to hear its not the case!

KenL
11th July 2014, 11:14 AM
Welcome, car sounds great. What colour did you go for?

Alan
11th July 2014, 02:02 PM
Colour is a funny one, we loved Volcanic Orange in the brochure and online...didn't really like it as much in the metal. Then Chilli red which we loved online and liked in the metal with a black roof which was what we would have went for, had the dealer not had a shiney White Silver metalic demo car out front! Loved the White Silver so we have went for that with white roof and mirrors (matt white not body colour) and chrome line exterior with the chrome boot handle thing. Hopefully will look awesome :)

Counted yesterday...77 Days to go! I guess 76 now! Come on car, I want a shot ;) I'm sure it will be well worth the wait!

Alan
4th August 2014, 03:08 PM
****UPDATE****

Bit of a last minute addition to the spec, added on the Mini Parking pack, front and back sensors and self park! In doing so found out the car goes into production this week and should be hear ahead of schedule, first few weeks in September! Can't wait! :)

donnaj1dlh
4th August 2014, 06:23 PM
:welcome: only additions I'd make is the heads up display but it's seems to be like marmite at the moment but I found it great as when paired with the media pack XL it tells you the speed limit (part of driving assistant pack), current speed and the approaching turn you have to make, ideal if you're like me and prefer the nav on silent but I'm sure it also shows in the trip display.

What type of driving will you be using the car for? If it's mainly long distance then the driving assistant pack is a handy thing to have, adaptive cruise was great on motorways. But to be honest it really depends on your budget and if you can justify those extras. Two things I would recommend as a must are the LED headlights, especially if you're used to Xenons oh and the sport seats :thumbs up: but that's a great spec you have.

I have HUD, in hindsight it's pretty pointless WITHOUT Driver Assist. As it is it only displays speed and radio stations/tracks should you wish to scroll. Sat Nav Turn offs etc are displayed though. I was pretty gutted as the demonstrator had HUD, obviously WITH Drivers Assist...it wasn't sold very well. As it turns out I only really have HUD up if I'm using Sat Nav which isn't that often.

I would recommend heated windscreen and tints though :)

- - - Updated - - -

Colour is a funny one, we loved Volcanic Orange in the brochure and online...didn't really like it as much in the metal. Then Chilli red which we loved online and liked in the metal with a black roof which was what we would have went for, had the dealer not had a shiney White Silver metalic demo car out front! Loved the White Silver so we have went for that with white roof and mirrors (matt white not body colour) and chrome line exterior with the chrome boot handle thing. Hopefully will look awesome :)

Counted yesterday...77 Days to go! I guess 76 now! Come on car, I want a shot ;) I'm sure it will be well worth the wait!

mmmmm I'm pretty sure CHILLI red isn't available yet, did you mean Blaze red? Its much deeper, darker than Chilli. Just check, don't want you to be disappointed.....

Alan
5th August 2014, 01:04 PM
I would recommend heated windscreen and tints though :)

mmmmm I'm pretty sure CHILLI red isn't available yet, did you mean Blaze red? Its much deeper, darker than Chilli. Just check, don't want you to be disappointed.....

In the end opted for White Silver, saw it on the demonstrator and was sold as it looked great in the sunlight. I thought it was Chilli red we had seen but I may have been mistaken.

donnaj1dlh
5th August 2014, 01:37 PM
White Silver was my 2nd choice, its so sparkly in the sunshine! Rare occurance in Aberdeen, ha! So at least my VO is a wee ray of sunshine on a dreich day :)

Eddie_JCW
5th August 2014, 05:26 PM
Nice choice of colour ;)

Alan
6th August 2014, 04:42 PM
donnaj1dlh haha at least the twice a year we see the sun it shall look fantastic :)

Eddie_JCW cheers, it looks twice as good with the red JCW roof and mirrors :) I'll have to make do with matt white roof and mirrors for now :)