PDA

View Full Version : Detailing new Blazing Red F56

KenL
24th June 2014, 08:20 PM
Hi all,

Pick up my new f56 Cooper in the next few weeks. I am planning on asking the dealer to not wash and wax it so that I can do it myself.

Do any of you have any tips on how to get the best look when new. I am looking for a regime that does not require too much effort to maintain and protect the paint.

I currently use Collinite wax and am happy with the results.

I was planning on giving the car a good wash and then a light clay using my soft bilthamber clay. Then simply waxing the car.

Does anyone have any better suggestions, perhaps a cleanse, polish or sealant (by hand) before waxing?

Thanks, KenL

Craig
24th June 2014, 10:23 PM
Hi Ken,

What your doing for a new car should be enough. I'd just make sure the paint is free of any contaminants before your wax - the car really shouldn't need a polish as it's brand new. I would give it a wipe down with IPA before applying the wax to ensure a perfect surface for the Collinite :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenL
24th June 2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks Craig.

Mon the fish
25th June 2014, 02:23 PM
What Craig said, plus I'd maybe wash it with a Tardis solution as well to fully clean the paint

KenL
25th June 2014, 02:54 PM
Would that stain the plastic trim at all?

donnaj1dlh
25th June 2014, 02:56 PM
I used sealant on my metallic red RCZ and the fleck came up just amazing! I think Blaze would come up brilliantly too.
You can always wax over sealant but not the other way about.

Using sealent (I can't find any up close photos!)....
the week before I traded it in (not my camera)

On that car, I swore by Werkstat Acrylic Kit from Polished Bliss. The MINI will come up better with wax I think.

Mon the fish
25th June 2014, 03:26 PM
Would that stain the plastic trim at all?
It won't stain it as such, but it will strip off any product on the trim.

But tbh you'll be applying your own trim product I'd imagine, so I wouldn't worry too much

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ELFMAN
25th June 2014, 03:31 PM
Looking forward to seeing the wee beastie! :thumbs up: :cool:
Drove past Parks MINI in Hamilton the other day and there was a BRG/White F56 COOPER (silver alloys) outside, and it looked quite FAB :cool: The more I see them, the more I think the F56 COOPER is a bit 'cleaner' looking than the S. Both look fine, but the COOP is just that we bit 'tidier', especially at the front.

KenL
25th June 2014, 05:17 PM
It won't stain it as such, but it will strip off any product on the trim.

But tbh you'll be applying your own trim product I'd imagine, so I wouldn't worry too much

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks. TBH I was hoping to not bother putting anything on the black trim. My r56 have not needed anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Drove past Parks MINI in Hamilton the other day and there was a BRG/White F56 COOPER (silver alloys) outside, and it looked quite FAB :cool: The more I see them, the more I think the F56 COOPER is a bit 'cleaner' looking than the S. Both look fine, but the COOP is just that we bit 'tidier', especially at the front.

Nice to see the f56 beginning to look more attractive to you. Why not have a wee test drive to see what you think from behind the wheel???

- - - Updated - - -

Nice to see the f56 beginning to look more attractive to you. Why not have a wee test drive to see what you think from behind the wheel???

ELFMAN
26th June 2014, 01:40 PM

:hand: Well I have to be pedantic (me? surely not!) and remind you that I've actually liked the F56 for quite some time now Ken (see previous posts in various places) :Whistle:
It's all the other never-ending pseudo-MINI Niche-Filling Designer-Chic model proposals I can't get my head round.

I even specced up 'my' F56 S a while back... harking back to the colour scheme etc of my first COOPER in 2001.

5263 :thumbs up:

Had a seat in the S and COOP at the HF launch and thought both were very nice. I've also mentioned that despite loving the extra 'oomph' of the S that the F56 COOPER seems a really great bet for a day-to-day drive as it covers all the bases. Looks good, Quick enough, more Practical than the R56, Cheaper to run etc etc.

I would like to have a Test Drive, but deliberately haven't as no point at the moment. I'm still too attached to my R56 for driving/personal reasons and with Dad still in hospital, I'm afraid a new MINI's just not on the cards for now and I don't want to find out I love it when I can't have it! I already have Kylie for that :frown:

So I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through other folks' F56's for now :smilewinkgrin: