PDA

View Full Version : Black trim.

jonnie
21st June 2014, 06:42 AM
Just wanted to know what people are using/ would recommend to treat the black trim, Back to Black doesnt cut it and ive got a bit of 'tiger stripe' above the rear wheels. Thanks.

EcosseGP
21st June 2014, 07:09 AM
Personally it's a bit of a lottery but at the moment we're using AF Revive. I've had no issues with it but it has taken a bit of time to get the trim clean to start with. We've had a bit of an issue on one of the big fellas plastic arch where it appears to leave a streak despite us cleaning it numerous times.
Craig's used Autosmart Trim Ultra too with good results .. and a little goes a long way.
If you think there's a flaw in the plastic you'll never disguise it with product but you can get the colour back without changing the arch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

donnaj1dlh
21st June 2014, 07:11 AM
I used to gtechniq tyre and trim which is more dureable. But I'm considering Nanolex revive or gtechniq c4 which lasts 2+years

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Alex from NM
21st June 2014, 07:40 AM
C4 stuff is good but I can say after using it it lasts no more than a couple of months maximum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duncan Stewart
21st June 2014, 08:38 AM
I use the Autoglym stuff - nice to use because its not actually black so less mess , but does a great job. It's a thickish, green liquid that brings up the black plastics great. Then I just use quick wax on them each wash.

Mon the fish
21st June 2014, 03:54 PM
Dodo juice trim sealant for me - I'm really fussy about black trim, but 2 coats of this lasts me a year.

Trim needs to be immaculately clean first

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

jonnie
24th June 2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks all

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Paul_GP1892
6th September 2014, 11:52 AM
This is one of my pet hates. And one of the hardest parts to clean on the car. I use the autoglym trim and bumper gel like Duncan has said. It has good results but doesn't last long enough (1 week usually as it doesn't like the rain).

I'll give the dodo juice sealant a try though.

Any tips on getting the trim clean first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moktabe
6th September 2014, 12:05 PM
Clean with IPA.

I put the GTechnic stuff on and it looks well. Been on about 6 weeks now but hopefully it will last.

Put their wheel stuff on about 12 months ago and it works a treat.

SeanC
6th September 2014, 12:22 PM
I use an industrial product that we use on our vehicles at work called "Chela restore" its a green liquid and brings up the arch trim and the tyres like new. It even does the dashboard lol :D

CiderFex
6th September 2014, 07:36 PM
I use this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001055ZMC?pc_redir=1405540655&robot_redir=1
It puts the black back into faded plastic, leaves a lovely mate finish and will keep beading up for months.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Bryce
28th September 2014, 11:52 PM
With the plastic trims prep is everything! I would recommend CarPro DLUX or Gtechniq C4. These steps will help you get the suggested durability

1. Scrub them a stiff brush and a strong APC solution, something around 3:1 and rise with water after every section. You don't want to let strong chemicals dwell on plastics.

2. lightly soak a microfibre towel with tardis and massage into plastic a few feet and a time and rinse regularly.

3. Re-wash with car shampoo. Not one with any built in wax or such!

4. A wipedown with IPA or a panel wipe (eraser etc) can assure a clean surface but not entirely necessary.

5. Dry the trims completely. water will effect the coatings and can cause streaks

6. Apply product as per instructions. Optionally you can heat the plastic with a heat gun (be careful common sense will guide you on how much heat is too much) this will open the pours on the plastic and accept the coating better (this also works great on tyres)

7. Leaving the car indoors overnight will also help maximise durability. Water will halt the curing process on these products

These steps will also help maximise durability on dressing style products. I would highly recommend Gtechniq T1.

AndyP & Lenore
29th September 2014, 01:27 AM
The low-tech approach is ground nut oil. Found in most decent supermarkets, costs buttons, and the bottle will last years.

It does a great job but will need repeat treatments. But as others have said, prep is key. The trim must be completely clean before applying. Apply the nut oil like you would any manufactured treatment, sparingly and with an applicator pad or small sponge. Also, wear gloves, cos that stuff gets everywhere. :thumbs up: