PDA

View Full Version : Countryman SD Auto stalling...

Big Col
9th June 2014, 06:35 AM
Had an odd experience on Saturday that I'm hoping one of the gurus on here would be able to comment on.

Was just leaving from Cathcart in Glasgow to head up to Aberdeen. Was approaching a set of lights at red so was slowing down to a stop when the engine in my Countryman stalled. This perhaps isn't literally what happened but was what it felt / sounded like. I tried to restart the car and the engine would start fine, run for 2-3 seconds then cut out again. This was while it was in P. When moving to try to give it some revs, nothing would happen when pressing on the accelerator pedal. There was also no warning lights or faults indicated on the dash to give any idea what was going on. After a few attempts it was obvious hee haw was happening so I pushed the car to the side of the road (good fun with no power steering) and called MINI emegerncy services. (As a side note what a fantastic service.)

Whilst waiting for the service tech I tried starting the car again and it actually did start and then keep running. As I was driving to Aberdeen I was keen to see what the fault was as I didn't want it happening again as I was going 70. A service tech turned up quite quickly and plugged the diagnostic pad in. After running some tests all seemed fine and the only thing he tought could have caused it was that the Diesel Particulate Filter had just started up it's regen cycle when the car went phut. As far as I was aware the regen cycle just involved heating up the DPF to burn off any crud and whilst this would take some juice I'd never have thought it would send the car loopy? That being said, as soon as I described the problem to Ian the tech he said he suspected that might be what caused it and sure enough it appeared on the diagnostic as the regen initiating.

Can any gurus on here advise if they think this sounds plausible?:confused: Sounds like a rather dramatic design flaw to me if it is as I was stuck in the right hand lane at lights able to go nowhere and with cars having to pull into the left lane to go round me which isn't really ideal?

stoney
9th June 2014, 07:51 AM
Easy just get it removed and maped and save your self come cash I the long run as they use fuel to clean them selfs !

Never heard of them doing this tho !

mini mad andy
9th June 2014, 08:03 AM
In the owners handbook it does say the the engine runs slightly rougher than usual (does not say it will it might stop working though). It does seem strange as all the previous diesels I have had have only started DPF regen after you have traveled for a while at a constant speed of approx. 50 mph or above and if you did stop after the regen had started when you were beside the car you could smell the hot DPF, I have never had any problem starting the engine when this happens. Obviously the Mini regen must work slightly differently as it sounds like it started while you were driving in a built up area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Col
9th June 2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks for replies guys.

I didn't think the regen would kick off randomly but the tech said that it does. We could actually smell the hot DPF as we were driving off again (or at least we hope that's what the burning smell was). Tech did say he saw smoke from the exhaust as we were sitting in front of him leaving (he followed us to Stirling to make sure all was well) so it sounds like the regen was going on but I really struggle to get my head round the fact the regen would cause the engine to stop completely? Not sure if this is something I should be making a fuss about?

re using fuel to regen is that just the additional fuel used to power the heating element?

mini mad andy
9th June 2014, 09:48 AM
Yeah it does sound like it was a regen. Yes you are correct it does use fuel to heat the DPF and clean it.

I agree with you it should not cause the engine to stop but the fact the Tech. new straight away what it was maybe tells a story and it is not unusual.

How many miles has the car done, ie could it have done regens before and you never noticed.

Big Col
9th June 2014, 09:52 AM
It's done 25,000 or so hence will have done regens before. I'm just really amazed that a regen could cause the car to conk out.

mini mad andy
9th June 2014, 10:21 AM
Totally agree it should not cause it to conk out. Might be worth asking your dealer about it, see what they say, there might be a known reason why it happens or maybe even a software update.

If it happens again be careful where you stop as the exhaust will be very hot and could set fire to grass or anything flammable that is under the car.

Big Col
9th June 2014, 11:54 AM
If it happens again be careful where you stop as the exhaust will be very hot and could set fire to grass or anything flammable that is under the car.

:eek:
Thanks for the heads up mate.

Crombers
9th June 2014, 01:18 PM
'MAN' ...... it's so simple it's obvious :idea:

The motor clearly sampled Glasgow life to the max, decided it was a waaaay
cooler happnin chillin place to be ....

and then threw a hissy fit ending up in a strop ........... cmon if I can work it out :bow::whoohoo:

Big Col
10th June 2014, 07:55 AM
Actually as I was in glasgow my first thought was "Has someone syphoned off my diesel?" as I was pulling up to the lights. ;)

Crombers
10th June 2014, 11:26 AM
Actually as I was in glasgow my first thought was "Has someone syphoned off my diesel?" as I was pulling up to the lights. ;)

The Glasweigen version of a splash & dash .......... a sook & V'sign, along with the welcoming call of "bawbag"

Bet you miss the old place :thumbs up:

Big Col
10th June 2014, 12:17 PM
You're bringing a nostalgic tear to me eye mate. :sad::lol: