PDA

View Full Version : Not good!

Eddie_JCW
19th May 2014, 06:32 PM
http://www.raccars.co.uk/news/article/2681/eu-planning-to-use-big-brother-technology-in-new-cars

That's not good news! Why is this country stuck in the stone ages when it comes to motoring matters? Ok fair enough this is coming from EU but think of the run yesterday we were getting plenty of G's, however, we knew we were well within our limits (car and driving) yes there are drivers who can't drive safe never mind fast and safe but it's unfair to tar everyone with the same brush.

What's your views on this?

stoney
19th May 2014, 07:06 PM
Think my clubman has this but it's not turned on !!

Alex from NM
19th May 2014, 07:12 PM
can't see this happening. maybe on an opt-in basis, but not for everyone compulsary

Eddie_JCW
19th May 2014, 07:22 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/motorinsurance/10837263/Drivers-without-insurance-black-box-could-be-forced-off-the-road-within-10-years.html

more on it, this explains the problem I have with this in more depth.

badwolf340
19th May 2014, 07:25 PM

that's what you think :laugh:

badwolf340
19th May 2014, 07:26 PM
can't see this happening. maybe on an opt-in basis, but not for everyone compulsary

your right but they say if you don't your premiums will rocket :ragin:

badwolf340
19th May 2014, 07:28 PM
not the way forward for people that enjoy their cars ,can you imagine yesterdays run ........everyone up to 60 down to 30 ....no way to overtake if everyone else that we met on the roads ....total gridlock :argh:

Eddie_JCW
19th May 2014, 07:30 PM

The way I see it is if the car has the SOS button it's got the black box and I bet it works. Damn modern technology :lol:

badwolf340
19th May 2014, 07:31 PM
the other thing to consider in todays modern world we all have phones :Whistle:

Eddie_JCW
19th May 2014, 07:36 PM
not the way forward for people that enjoy their cars ,can you imagine yesterdays run ........everyone up to 60 down to 30 ....no way to overtake if everyone else that we met on the roads ....total gridlock :argh:

Precisely! We'd be as well getting Coopers because we wouldn't be able to use the power as that would cause our insurance to rocket :( another issue is if some idiot pulls out in front of you up goes your insurance through no fault of your own.

I can see this being the death of the motor industry because I'd consider keeping my car without it instead of getting a new car.

badwolf340
19th May 2014, 07:51 PM
Precisely! We'd be as well getting Coopers because we wouldn't be able to use the power as that would cause our insurance to rocket :( another issue is if some idiot pulls out in front of you up goes your insurance through no fault of your own.

I can see this being the death of the motor industry because I'd consider keeping my car without it instead of getting a new car.
good point although a 3 cyl would still be able to break the speed limit :frown:

illegalhunter
19th May 2014, 08:30 PM
Love them or hate them UKIP have been telling us the the EU. Make most of the laws in the UK

G17RDY
20th May 2014, 07:19 AM
I'm unsure if i like the idea - If the system is to be used as a big brother device, to monitor speed etc, then NO........get lost EU!

However i can see some advantages in the system, if it was used for good - Such as lone driver, country road, crash, unconscious requiring medical attention, boom, car sends out SOS.
An Auto / Manual SOS, could potentially save lives, giving the emergency services a precise and immediate location of any incident, sometimes seconds count!
As i have a wife and 3 kids, i would pay the extra £100 to have such a device on the family car, unfortunately that's never been an option for me on any car we have bought, it would provide a little comfort that in the event of an accident, technology is in place and being used for good.
(My perspective has been recently changed, as i saw last nights M74 crash up close last night, which was horrific and all i could think about since was that could of been our family car, involved in something like that)

However this is the rose tinted view of the world, and although perhaps touted as the main purpose of such a thing - There will inevitably be 'other' monitoring functions, which well could take the fun out of driving.

The problem here is choice (Yeah, i know i sound like i am in the Matrix) - There wouldn't be an issue if we were given the choice to have a monitoring device or not, however the fact that the EU is coming along, like your dad did when you were 5 and saying, i don't care what you think, here's what is going to happen - Well choice removed!

EcosseGP
20th May 2014, 11:00 AM
I'm not so sure even an emergency button would be any use as 9/10 folk will forget it's there, panic or are too badly injured to think or remember to use it anyway. I've never been not able to find an accident even in the middle of nowhere. I can't mind the last time that I saw/heard someone actually using a motorway emergency phone as folk forget they're there or now own a mobile phone and contact friends or family first rather than the emergency services ..
Like everything they'd be ways around the telematics box issue that's for sure and I'm sure signals would be able to be switched on/off. I've personally dealt with telematics companies who will not disclose information about the vehicle even when involved in a serious incident/accident. Which I appreciate that this could easily change and like anything else I'm not so sure that data protection would still play a big part in this.

I wonder how many "faulty" boxes there would be :):)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
20th May 2014, 11:02 AM

Press the button and see what happens or ask the question to MINI what does it do and where does the information get stored Rob ?

EcosseGP
20th May 2014, 11:04 AM
The cars information can still be downloaded via the vehicles ECU if required right now so not really any different other than the insurance companies don't "see" our driving habits !!

stoney
20th May 2014, 12:28 PM
Press the button and see what happens or ask the question to MINI what does it do and where does the information get stored Rob ?

I will have another look but I'm sure there is an emergency setting some where may just be phone numbers tho !!

EcosseGP
20th May 2014, 12:29 PM
Yeah that's standard on all BMWs accessed via the menu Rob .. It's just BMW assistance numbers

Mon the fish
20th May 2014, 04:08 PM
Drive older cars... problem solved...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

stoney
20th May 2014, 04:36 PM
Yeah that's standard on all BMWs accessed via the menu Rob .. It's just BMW assistance numbers

Arr good so I won't have it then lol