PDA

View Full Version : Air leak through alloy wheel

MarkR53S
7th May 2014, 08:40 PM
I have the standard r53 mcs 17 inch alloys. I've got this leak coming through the hole in the alloy where the valve goes. The valve has been replaced a number of times but has not helped. I lose around 10psi every two weeks and is a pain in the backside.

Any ideas for a fix?

Craig
7th May 2014, 08:46 PM
The wheels have been known to go poreous over the years. If it was mine I'd be looking for a replacement as you would have confidence in it then :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
7th May 2014, 08:51 PM
Like the big fella says alloy wheels can go porous (Audi are bad for it) but it's easily checked .. Just put the wheel in a bath of water it'll soon show up. It's usually round the outer edge of the wheel have you had the tyre removed the alloy edge cleaned and it refitted ?

MarkR53S
7th May 2014, 08:53 PM
To be fair I,m keen just to take a "plaster" to it now as when I have the funds they are getting replaced with lightweight 16's. I'll need to think this through! Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed the bubbling around the valve area when I was refurbishing them. I may have professionally checked now that you say though.

Angib
7th May 2014, 10:20 PM
The most common cause of air loss from older alloys is corrosion where the tyre bead sits. Any decent tyre shop can remove the tyre, seal the seat area and remount the tyre. It might last a year before the same problem reoccurs. The only long term cure is refurbishing the wheel.

No guarantee this is what you've got, but it is the most likely.

MarkR53S
12th May 2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks, i think i'm just going to hold out until i can afford new alloys but the corrosion element makes sense.