PDA

View Full Version : Front wishbone bush replacement

jdl_1967
7th May 2014, 07:29 PM
Has anyone recently replaced their front wishbone bushes on their Gen 1 please? and if so, is it a DIY job or a garage job? Any idea on costs would be great too :-)

My R53 is exhibiting slight fore and aft movement in the front wheels and I'm guessing my bushes are shot.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sideways Steve
7th May 2014, 08:10 PM
http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?24710-My-R53-Cooper-S-Ongoing-Daily-Driver-Project&p=317277&viewfull=1#post317277

Check out post #103 dude :)

It's doable DIY but you need some heavy duty tooling and a good jack and axle stands to get the front high enough to work on the car.

The proper way to do them requires you to drop the subframe or tilt it but I opted for the big hammer and chisel method to remove the old ones in situ. This then meant I had to make up a rough tool to press the new ones in and without that you wouldn't stand a chance ! Even with the tool it was still a bit of a nightmare job to be honest.

jdl_1967
7th May 2014, 08:12 PM
Cheers Steve, that's amazing thanks

MarkR53S
7th May 2014, 08:33 PM
Mine need done also. I'm noticing vibration at speed and under braking. If you do the bushes without dropping subframe I would be interested to hear your experience as this was a job I was considering when I service my car.

Sideways Steve
7th May 2014, 08:56 PM
I won't lie mark, it's a nightmare job and if I'm honest I'd have actually been quicker dropping the subframe to do it I was just being lazy at the time though lol !

- - - Updated - - -

Heres a link to buy them on eBay, you get free delivery and they even sent me a free powerflex key ring too lol :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Mini-Cooper-S-R53-2000-2008-POWERFLEX-FRONT-WISHBONE-REAR-BUSHES-PFF5-101-/111224269311?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19e57ba9ff

MarkR53S
7th May 2014, 09:11 PM
Wow that's a great price Steve. I better start reading because if you are going to drop the subframe you may as we'll replace every other moving part like the ball joints at the same time!

jdl_1967
7th May 2014, 09:12 PM
Perfect thanks Steve, I may leave it to the garage, but PowerFlex I think it will be

boozeman
8th May 2014, 12:10 AM
I've heard good and bad things about powerflex. My brother has his mx5 power flexed all over and. It's great but another mate has his civic type r done and the front arb seized because of them. Saying all that I haven't heard many minis having problems with powerflex bushes. Personally thinking maybe my mate had them fitted incorrectly?

jdl_1967
8th May 2014, 06:06 AM
Thanks Boozeman, I know there have been some issues with the PowerFlex tensioner bushes that people have posted online too.

Sideways Steve
8th May 2014, 11:09 AM
different cars react to poly bushes in different ways. Some cars rely upon some bushing flex as its been accounted for when designing the suspension so if you then remove that flex it can have negative effects.

On the Mini however I have only heard good things and the difference is noticeable. I'll be doing my rear trailing arm bushes next as there pretty worn too and its highlighted more now since the front is so tight !

stoney
8th May 2014, 12:31 PM
When i changed mini on the GP it was like night and day then sold it 3monrh later lol

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_212 using Tapatalk