PDA

View Full Version : R53 new to forum in Edinburgh

MarkR53S
6th May 2014, 07:50 PM
Hi,

I've owned my R53 cooper s for a year and caught the bug. Upgrades all fitted by myself as a keen DIY'er include, ngk plugs, gtt cold air intake, gtt re-route pipe, airtech top mount intercooler, 17 percent reduced pulley. I've had fun carrying out many cosmetic jobs on the car including refurbishing alloys, painting hood scoop, filling in lower front grill and raising number plate all to different ranges of success.

I'm interested to know what people think of the 17 percent pulley upgrade? The car is clearly faster from 4000 rpm onwards but low down torque hasn't changed much. I wonder if the increased volume in the intercooler has caused this or do I need to look at other components like the throttle body?

So many questions but they can all wait!

Mark

badwolf340
6th May 2014, 07:55 PM
Get pics up in gallery section :yes nod: And :welcome:

Eddie
6th May 2014, 08:03 PM
Hi mark. Where in edinburgh r u. Get some pics up. I will meet you 1day if you want and show you full Gtt setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdl_1967
6th May 2014, 08:04 PM
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.

I thought the 17% pulley would actually give you more low down torque.

You may well be right about the intercooler, an increase in size may well reduce the boost slightly, but it will also reduce inlet charge temperature which with a 17% reduced pulley could be considerably higher than standard. Also if you've increased the diameter of the pipework this will allow more flow eventually, but will actually slow airflow lower down the rev range.

Did you go for a cooler plug, I would imagine you may need a stage cooler than that used by the JCWs 7. Possibly 8? if NGK

Sent from my Lumia 1020

jdl_1967
6th May 2014, 08:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing photos

Sent from my Lumia 1020

Eddie_JCW
6th May 2014, 08:21 PM
:welcome: can't wait to see pics.

MINI William
6th May 2014, 08:27 PM
Welcome to NMS. Get some pics up of your car

EcosseGP
6th May 2014, 08:47 PM
Welcome along Mark .. It all sounds very interesting :)

Craig
6th May 2014, 08:47 PM
:welcome:

stoney
6th May 2014, 09:05 PM
Welcome some interesting mods there

mini mad andy
6th May 2014, 09:23 PM
Welcome to NMS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sideways Steve
6th May 2014, 09:25 PM
Welcome :)

I also run the 17% Pulley along with various other bits and bobs and find it better lower down than stock but it does pull ALOT harder from 4,000 rpm onwards.

Are you running a remap at all ?

MarkR53S
6th May 2014, 09:31 PM
Hi guys and thanks for the welcome. Pics to come when I figure it out. When I get settled in would be good to meet some locals to chat. To answer earlier thread, I am running the ngk iridium bkr7eix: 2667 plugs. I believe they are the colder ones. Currently running standard map. Carried out ECU reset after pulley fitted but that's it. To be fair I could do with an expert local to Edinburgh giving the car a health check as I may have fuelling issues as the car car be quite hesitant accelerating at half throttle. Only when you floor it that it sorts itself out!

Sideways Steve
6th May 2014, 09:35 PM
a remap will make a world of difference lower down the rev range. If I re flash the stock map onto mine its sluggish lower down but with the remap flashed on it pulls like a train. The remap swings the timing a bit across the rev range which makes a noticeable difference.

You may also want to look at fitting bigger injectors soon as I'm now running mine at their limits and its a little bit leaner than id like it to be when your higher up the revs under certain load conditions.

MarkR53S
6th May 2014, 09:40 PM
Was going to wait until I fit a cam for a remap but I know exactly where you are coming from. I think my next mod has to be a manifold and decat as she is far too civilised for my liking:thumbs up:

Sideways Steve
6th May 2014, 09:42 PM
you just running the std cat at the moment ? I'm running a sport cat with a full custom exhaust and its quite nice. Sounds sweet but isn't unbearable on long motorway journeys.

MarkR53S
6th May 2014, 09:51 PM
Yeah standard cat. I was thinking of removing battery tray and getting straight through. Who did your re map and custom exhaust?

EcosseGP
6th May 2014, 10:21 PM
Why not just get a single exit a la Cooper and change the lower trim you can get a straight through without touching the battery tray

Caldean
6th May 2014, 11:08 PM
Welcome m8t this is a great site with a lot of usefull information and all the members are very helpfull if yuv got any problems yuv done a lot of good mods on the car av got a stainless steel exhaust on mine it pops and bangs in every gear they are great cars

Sideways Steve
7th May 2014, 11:03 AM
Yeah standard cat. I was thinking of removing battery tray and getting straight through. Who did your re map and custom exhaust?

My exhaust is of unknown origin but I do know it was done in glasgow just not sure where as it was fitted when I got the car and the car has always lived in glasgow lol.

My remap was originally an off the shelf stage 2 bluefin but after logging a few runs myself and looking at the map file using some software I had from when I used to map my own cars I contacted superchips and asked them to alter the map in a few places so it's effectively a home grown remap based on a superchips map. It's by no means as good as getting a totally custom one done on the rollers but it does the job and runs smoothly and safely :)

MarkR53S
7th May 2014, 11:46 AM

Not sure if this has worked but pics above

- - - Updated - - -

A few more!

Mon the fish
7th May 2014, 12:13 PM
Are you not supposed to remove the diverter with the airtec?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

MarkR53S
7th May 2014, 12:16 PM
Correct just looking to confuse you. The next job i did was remove the diverter :D

Eddie
7th May 2014, 12:30 PM
Where in edinburgh r u bud ;)

MarkR53S
7th May 2014, 12:39 PM
I'm in Trinity - just close enough to get me out on the coast road from Prestonpans to Dunbar for a blast ;)

Eddie
7th May 2014, 12:48 PM
Sweet. Am just at kinnard park area. Majic back roads dwn that way ;)

MINI William
7th May 2014, 12:55 PM
Looks looking good

Colin
8th May 2014, 12:32 PM
:welcome: