PDA

View Full Version : Classic Mini

Neil - TXJ
5th May 2014, 07:50 PM
Hi - is this a mad idea?

Next year my eldest turns 17, I know it hard to believe I am old enough 😄, and he will be learning to drive. Problem I will have is my car is a company car and I don't think learners are allowed and our other car is a large 4x4 automatic.

One option is to buy another car for him to learn in - the practicalities of affording this is another issue but let's put that to one side for now.

I was wondering if getting a classic may be an option. I have no mechanical experience so would want one in good order so was thinking of one of the later run out models but not the special editions at the end of production due to price and would also like to be able to mod without keeping it standard.

Is this a mad idea? I like the idea of getting into another community and having a car I can mod but is relatively cheap to insure. It won't do a lot of miles but needs to be a relatively easy car to learn to drive in, could obviously get an Aygo or Pug equivalent but a bit boring.

Thoughts appreciated.

badwolf340
5th May 2014, 08:09 PM
As you have said getting one in good nick is the key and if you can't maintain it yourself ,finding a local garage that you can trust or learn to maintain it yourself, routine servicing is not hard ,but mind and buy a grease gun :thumbs up:

weefossy
5th May 2014, 08:09 PM
Will have a really good Toyota Ago for sale. Only 7000 miles on the clock. Great on insurance, road tax and fuel economy. Ideal car to learn in?

bpirie1000
5th May 2014, 08:26 PM
If it has to be a classic then mini works or McDonald minis or mini mart will see you right..

just say remember classics ain't forgiving when it comes to bumps....Aygo maybe would be a little easier on the budget...

ppersonally i I would be looking at the young deals Citroen do/did free insurance for 17 year olds...

EcosseGP
6th May 2014, 08:00 AM
Whilst it seems like a great idea I would go with a newer car to start with more for the safety aspect and the ability to see more than whilst sat in a classic.
A newer car will probably cost you less and once he's learnt to drive a classic might be an idea for the two of you as a project ..

zimbo
6th May 2014, 08:11 AM
Best option for him would be just to learn all the lessons he needs to pass by driving the driving instructors car, just like most of us did in the old days and then once he got his licence then you can think about getting a car for him :thumbs up:

ianking
6th May 2014, 12:58 PM
I would not recommend a classic mini to someone who has limited mechanical knowledge. Further, I wouldnt recommend a classic mini to a young lad of age 17 years as he is likely to drive it a bit brisk and they have 0 safety rating.

What about buying him an early R56 one 1.4 as they are cheap to insure and can now be bought for about £4k odd

Gismo
6th May 2014, 01:03 PM
I'm in the no section for a classic, they always need attention, agree with all other comments regarding buying a car or simply do what we all did in the old days, instructors car until you pass

ianking
6th May 2014, 04:03 PM
Ive got a nice 09 plate fiesta tdci zetec for sale, only £20 roadtax.

Neil - TXJ
6th May 2014, 07:44 PM
Thanks for responses guys, appreciated. Over 12 months to think about it and guess the classic isn't a sensible option but was wondering if I could scratch an itch I have and solve another issue.

Cheers.

EcosseGP
6th May 2014, 08:45 PM
No harm in getting people's opinions .. :)

stoney
6th May 2014, 09:16 PM
What about a R50 one ? They go for little money and can be easy made cooper spec and can mod to your blue in the face ;) :)

Mon the fish
6th May 2014, 09:25 PM
^^ Plenty practice at changing midland boxes lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

stoney
6th May 2014, 09:26 PM
But I will say this the girl that works next door from me has just passed her test and the only real way she could get insured was to have one of the tracker box fitted to a 1.2 corsa !!

EcosseGP
6th May 2014, 10:20 PM
The telematics box doesn't really help it monitors the car and the way it's driven .. Drive out with the hours more than the agreed times and the premium goes up.