PDA

View Full Version : R53 ~ top suspension mounts spilt

Jonhend
30th April 2014, 12:37 AM
Upon inspection it would appear front suspension top mount are beginning to split. Is this a big deal ? Any approx cost for supply and fit both front? Any advice appreciated,no problems experienced from car whilst driving...what symptons should I be experiencing. Thanks

brad___smith
22nd August 2015, 08:57 PM
Hey, I've just discovered the same thing on my R50. It seems common on 17" run flat fitted cars.

The rubber part of the mounts seems split and even shows some of the tower on the passenger side. What's more, the mounting area on the body has now mushroomed and is no longer flat. Also, the passenger side front wheel seems slightly out of alignment as the shock comes through the mounting at a slight angle. I've heard the best thing to do is get new mounts (relatively cheap) and basically bash the mounts back down with a bit of wood and a hammer! Although this seems a bit risky somehow...

Does anyone have advice on this problem and the best way to go about sorting it?

The car has been giving me a re-occurring wheel vibration at motorway speeds for quite some time, could this be the cause of that?

EcosseGP
24th August 2015, 06:02 PM
Brad yes it is a common fault on the earlier MINIs and can be fixed a couple of ways, probably the easiest would be to put a set of these
http://www.lohen.co.uk/shop/gen-1-mini/cravenspeed/cravenspeed-under-tower-indurators-gen1-detail on the car ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk