PDA

View Full Version : Clutch noise

Fraser
22nd April 2014, 09:45 PM
I have a 2011 cooper s which I have done 14000 miles and has never been thrashed and only ever driven by me. However I do have an issue. When I take off in first gear there is a strange noise that comes from the clutch. It only happens from take off and does not do it all the time. It's serviced when it should be and is now due another one, and still has warranty until September, would like to see if anyone knows of any issues, so when I hand it in I can mention the noise.

Sideways Steve
25th April 2014, 01:18 PM
When you say a noise, can you describe it ? Do you feel any juddering at all when this noise occurs ? Do you appear to have anything leaking under the car ? Oil or water etc that you can see ?

jdl_1967
25th April 2014, 04:25 PM
I know my old R50 has a completely different box and clutch, but it has made a metallic rubbing noise now for about 2 years and 24000+ miles since we bought it.

We can only hear it under acceleration between about 2000-2500 rpm. The garage recon it's just the thrust bearing and the operation of the clutch has not been affected at all. I just plan to rectify it when we need a new clutch. It's never worsened in the 2 years.

Sent from my Lumia 1020

Gismo
25th April 2014, 04:53 PM
One wee test you can do for the thrust bearing, but, be warned, it involves "slipping" the clutch.
When cold is best cause it doesn't give the bearing any chance to heat up, with the hand brake on for extra safety, when pressing the clutch try and feel for the bearing hitting the pressure plate, that's when the bearing will start to turn and should be when it makes the worst noise, then, put in 2nd gear and let the clutch out slowly to the biting point, again, the bearing will still be acting on the plate and should give noise.
Quick presses and releases of the clutch will almost eliminate the potential to hear the bearing noise.

As i said, this will slip the clutch, but, will test the bearing, don't over do it and also, DISCLAIMER, i take no responsibility in the event you have or cause an accident :lol: