PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial NMS review of the F56 Cooper

Eddie_JCW
22nd April 2014, 12:37 AM
F56 owners don't look!

Rachael decided to hire a F56 for the weekend I didn't know until the day before. We hired it from Gogeta rental car (Eastern) whom we had hired from before and that's the reason why I'm now a proud JCW owner.

Rachael had been told that it was a Volcanic Orange Cooper S it was one of the salesman's (who was willing to let us have it for the weekend) because they never had any on their rental fleet, I thought that was really nice of them. So we went to collect the car I asked if it was a Cooper S, it wasn't, they'd decided to give us a BMW service courtesy car – a VO F56 Cooper with Chili, black wheels and sport seats as the only options. I am disappointed with Eastern! I had originally wanted to compare it to the JCW but since I couldn't I decided to compare the car minus the engine to the R56 JCW and the whole car to Rachael's 2012 Fiesta Zetec S.

First impressions-
VO is a bold colour, I like it, although it's a shame it's not metallic. It does go very well with a black roof and black wheels, don't think it'd go with white as well. The looks of the car had grown on me quite a bit and I do think it's very worthy of the MINI badge. I, like most, disliked the way it looked before launch but most BMW/MINI cars do take a bit of time to get used to. The key I'm not a lover of – it's way too chunky and I don't think I'd order the car without Comfort access which ours didn't have, so you have to get the key out to unlock the car then put it away again or leave it below the centre console.

Inside the car as I already knew is a nice place to be – it seems well laid out and very BMW in term of style, quality and feel, which is a good thing and there is a fair bit more room in the back and the boot.

It is lovely to drive, comfortable and everything is where it should be. The 3 cylinder is quiet and smooth, pulls well.

After 1000 miles on a mix of roads-

It is a really good car, it didn't give me that thrill the R56 S did, so I won't be changing just yet thankfully, it feels too grown up and sensible now and it does seem they've rushed some things.

Things I like-

Driving modes, I found I had it in green mode when the roads weren't twisty which brings up a little gauge that reminds me of the BMW mpg dial which does help to save fuel. Sport mode had more of an effect on the throttle response than it does on the R56.
Ambient Lighting in the footwell, it's a nice touch.
Auto Start/stop, it starts a lot quicker to restart, it may be due to it being a 3 cylinder or it could be improved.
Cruise control, now allows gear changes without switching off and doesn't speed you up if you're going around a corner. It also has a limiter function which is basically the reverse of cruise.
As we know you can't wash the windscreen in the R56 with the window open (I hope that's not just my car :lol: ) now you can! No more trails of water/screen wash on the side windows. I never had it in the rain but I'm guessing they'll have fixed the wet seat issue. The little engine seems lively until you try to overtake which it doesn't like. It does sound quite nice, reminds me of the BMW 6 cyl Diesel engine, and when it rev matches it make a nice sound from the BOV, no where near as nice as pops and bangs though. Turbo is quite audible which I like.
The colour trip computer in the speedometer is excellent has everything an R56 has as well as a Temp gauge and you can choose a digital speedo with large clear numbers.

Rachael enjoyed the Dual-zone climate which she had at 28°C all weekend whilst mine was at 16° :lol:

Things that would drive me up the wall–

At night the ambient lighting from the door handles also lit up a bit of the A pillar I am very surprised at this l expected better from MINI.
The steering wheel controls are the wrong way round! Cruise on the left and audio on the right just as I got used to the R56. The buttons are easier to press 1st time, now it's individual buttons. Not only is the audio on the wrong side but the volume is left/right instead of up down. I can see their reasoning but it's annoying and not easy to get used to!
Although everything seems laid out well at first I'm not too sure now, the light switches aren't in view at all. Forget you're in a F56 rather than an R56 and instead of putting the window down you turn the DSC off!
You can't push hard and rely on the rev counter it's not easy to read when you're focused on the road ahead.
Every interior light on the car is LED apart from the glove box and boot. There's no lighting in the back,at night it's pitch black.
The vanity mirrors feel as they'd break much easier than a R56'.

Strange features-

When you double click unlock and open a door the window rolls more than half way down instead of a couple of mm, I don't know why. One theory I have is to get in the car in narrow spaces.
At night when you unlock the car the interior light comes on whatever colour you have the ambient lighting set at until you open the door, then the ambient lighting all goes white apart from the interior door handles and pockets.
There's no CD player which wasn't missed by us thanks to Spotify.

So, would I have one?
No, not just yet, but soon! I think there's a lot of teething troubles at the moment as expected from a new generation. The car we were in had it's CEL come on at less than 500 miles of it's life, no rev counter and limp home mode, turned the car off and it was fine after that, odd. I will however try get in a cooper S at some point hopefully if they'll allow me :lol: but in the future I will more than likely have an F56, I think I'll wait for the JCW.

I was really excited walking over to get my JCW which I've been without all weekend, probably the first car I've owned that I've missed after only a weekend away from it.

Sorry for the grammar, it never was a strong point for me.

Pics to follow!

Eddie

KenL
22nd April 2014, 05:43 AM
Nice review.

MINI William
22nd April 2014, 07:02 AM
Good review Eddie. The window drop down is a BMW thing to allow you to get in the car in a tight space.

Eddie_JCW
22nd April 2014, 07:13 AM
Cheers.

William, I wasn't sure but it was the only logical explanation for it, there wasn't anything on it in the manual, although I didn't read it all :lol:, only for that and to find out if I could keep the interior roof light ambient colour instead of only when unlocked.

Stewart
22nd April 2014, 11:22 AM
I’ve done just over 500 Miles on my F56 Cooper. Apart from the state the car was given to me at the dealers with Swirl marks that can be corrected I’m enjoying it. Took the Car on a 200 plus mile run from Glasgow to Fort William the second day just to get used to it and on Saturday took it down the Ayrshire Coast for another wee run.

Tried the Cruse control and in the right situations when the your on a long Motorway journey I can see the point. Adjusting the speed through the wheel felt funny but I soon got used to it. I suppose letting the Car keep you at your desired speed although feeling it accelerate to maintain the speed on its own.

Still not got used to having to double tap the big start switch to fully shut down the car. A few times I’ve restarted the Car. Window switches after six years of owning my R56 make me go naturally to where the old switches were. The door mirrors are bigger that’s for sure.

Having not had the Wheel controls I’m finding them great to switch tracks and make a Phone call. Its great to instead of having six CD’s like I used to having all my music. I’m finding I’m listening to full Albums over mixed tracks. I’m enjoying the Media screen having a fancy screen with BHP on one side and Torque up the other I thing some will find fun. Oil check, Engine Temperature and individual Tyre pressure shown is great.

The Eco fish in a bowl game I’m not to sure about to encourage more fuel efficient driving but I’ve not had it on so don’t fully know what that’s about. I’m still using the Digital Speedo even though the dial is right there, think I’ve just got used driving that way. In that respect I think I prefer it was the old Rev counter but as the Rev counter is there to the left.

I did prefer the Fuel Gauge of my R56 as I’m not too sure about this new one yet and why they can not have a detailed reading from the media screen I don’t know if you wanted to check better.

But all in all happy with the car and looking forward to more drives in it. Heading down to North Yorkshire on some of my favourite roads soon and looking forward to a proper road trip. Still not got used to not having to bloody put the phob in a slot, think one of the Cup holders is its knew place but was just used to knowing were it was. I was in a jacket the other day and had one of them “ Where is my key moments when I had pulled up”

Sorry that was a very quick round up. :smilewinkgrin: Still annoyed about my pillars and general swirl marks all over but that will get corrected over time. The deep blue is a lovely colour but I think its just one you will notice everything.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd April 2014, 11:40 AM
Great review Eddie. And good to hear Stewart's experiences too. :thumbs up::thumbs up:

donnaj1dlh
22nd April 2014, 02:07 PM
I read the review with interest :)
I'm eagerly waiting my MCS, but as I'm a MINI virgin, I'm sure half your 'niggles' is irrelevant to me. I laughed at your portrayal of the CC and audio controls being the wrong way round ...... aren't they the RIGHT way round? CC has always been on the left and audio on the right on my Pugs :Whistle:

..... and at least I've got my volcanic colour combo right with the black roof/wheels :cool:

Eddie_JCW
22nd April 2014, 05:51 PM
Stewart I knew there was a few bits I missed! You're right the mirrors are a lot bigger and being a bus driver I like big mirrors. A wee tip for you, you only need to flick the switch once it shuts down as soon as you lock the car. I like the wee MINI on the trip computer that winks at you when you open the door with the engine off.

I'd have liked to have had a fully loaded car to compare all the toys to mine especially the media pack because I really like BMW's i-drive.

I like the fuel gauge it's easy to read at a glance but looks out of place since there's an analogue gauge on the left. I was the same I relied on the digital speedo, since the dial is in multiples of 20 with lines at every 5 which aren't varied at the 10's, not good.

Yes Donna most of my niggles are compared to my R56 so don't worry :lol:

If you stall like Rachael did :p the car restarts automatically when in neutral which is a good feature.

It's a shame that there may be some reliability issues at the moment but we knew that was going to be the case. Let's hope they get it fixed sooner rather than later.

I found the DSC being a bit intrusive on country roads so had DTC on instead and it was great fun on the twisties. When both DTC&DSC are off it doesn't rev match.

Rev match is great makes downshifts perfect, but it took a wee while to stop doing heel and toe braking.

It likes using it's low end torque. In 6th revs sit just over 2k at 70mph which has to be good for fuel consumption.

I found another handy bit of info in the handbook – the sports auto has Launch Control :smilewinkgrin:

Eddie_JCW
22nd April 2014, 08:52 PM
Getting the car at eastern with 327 miles on the clock
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14728.jpg

Looks great anywhere just as a MINI should
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14736.jpg

look under the door handle and you can see the LEDs built into them which light up the handle when you unlock it, I didn't get any better pics of them. You can also see the annoying illumination of the A pillar by the ambient lighting
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14759.jpg

Love the way the rear Lights seem to glow
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14758.jpg

Rachael loved the Dual zone climate she had hers on 28 all weekend :eek:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14763.jpg

parked up for a BBQ
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14764.jpg

Green Mode (don't worry I was passenger at the time just reached over)
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14765.jpg

Ambient lighting on A pillar
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14773.jpg

Graffiti! I wonder who the culprit was
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14774.jpg

Buachaille Etive Mor
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14778.jpg

Isle's of Eigg and Rum
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14789.jpg

:smilewinkgrin: (video) click on the photo below
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/th_iphone5-14769.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14769.mp4)

Modes and Ambient lighting (video) click on the photo below
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/th_iphone5-14768.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14768.mp4)

Trust Rachael to find a happy face :lol: the LED ring is her hair
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/5cooby/MINI/iphone5-14729.jpg

sorry for the poor quality pics I left my D-SLR at home so they're all iPhone photos. I'll edit my gopro vids and get a video up ;) :thumbs up:

donnaj1dlh
22nd April 2014, 09:40 PM
That LED ring really is quite bright in the dark.......I guess there's a way to turn it off, turn it darker at nights???

Eddie_JCW
22nd April 2014, 09:44 PM
You can turn it off, dim it and it dims with the instrument lighting ;)

Stewart
25th April 2014, 10:20 AM
Eddie looks like a nice run to Mallaig– Yeah I’m getting used to the big red switch, I'm just used to shutting all the Music etc off before I get out the car but your right once you close that lock it all shuts down anyway. You’d have loved the Media pack it has Torque and HP gauge split in two on the one screen. I’ve been turning off the Stop Start on every trip I thought I read you could disengage it through a driver profile so I’ll have to catch up on that. I like I can now put my Windows down as I could with my R56 but now when I walk away and lock the car they close back up. Getting used to the Auto lights coming on at night, strange jumping into the car at night and the lights go on. Granted only seen it a few times but people driving down the motorway at night without lights is not a great thing to see, getting level with them and making signals that they don’t understand for a split second till it hits home and the lights go on and a thumbs up fun all the same. Maybe Auto lights have there place. On the media screen there is a shed load of setting for lights, Units, Display etc goes on and on and I’ve not played with most. Like the live Tyre pressure Monitor that gives individual pressure on all four that I checked using my good foot pump that seems to be spot on. But most of all I just love scrolling through all my Music, I was a bad one for making up a RWCD for my R56 and being lazy and listening to the same tracks over and over.

I’m delighted with the Car but for the state the paint is in at present. The pillars are swirls as is most of the Car in strong Sun light and what to me looks like a few buffer trails. Spotted an annoying spot on my Roof yesterday. It kind of put a dampener on the new Car because of either poor prep at the factory or a Dealer that just lets the car be washed to such a poor standard before hand over. :ragin: Main thing is I would not return to buy a Car again from them or recommend so who loses out in the long run. Once Craig gets his mitts on it and uses his DA polisher to bring it back to the way it should have came out the dealers I’ll be a lot happier. I might try and get him to fit me in before the Highland Tour as its just not proper turning out without your car looking as near on spot on. Although as discussed if my Pillars get done before the Blackpool MINI trip I’ll be delighted. Its been so annoying from day one to feel something needs corrected on my new Toy and then you realsie how lucky you that it can fixed after reading about that young 19 yr Lad raising money for his cancer charity before he dies all over the news. Puts paint defects into perspective.

Back tot he F56 that’s the same wheels I've got and they look the same with the dust, they are probably going to drive me nuts as well to keep clean :smilewinkgrin: