PDA

View Full Version : Creeking from steering/ steering rack problems

Sarahh1994
21st April 2014, 02:21 PM
Hi, ive got an 09 r56 cooper s and there is a creeking noise coming from the steering when i turn going slow like parking. Any one know what it could be?

Also ive had a mechanic friend look at it and he seems to think the steering rack needs replaced. Theres a little play in the left hand side and the gaitor covering that side has been moved. I called mini for a price and say the part is just under £1000. Going to get mini to have a look at it (costing me £50 for that!) but i really hope its not the steering rack, anyone had this problem themself and shine a little light on it? Hopefully a cheaper one :p haha

boozeman
21st April 2014, 11:32 PM
How many miles has the car done?

Sideways Steve
22nd April 2014, 11:49 AM
It could be a number of things, typically creaking when steering would point to strut top mounts and I'd check those first, could also just be worn track rod ends or worn rack ends, all of these items are replaceable for far less than a steering rack.

Without seeing it myself it's hard to give you a good idea of what it's likely to be though I'm afraid. Hopefully when mini look at it they will be able to advise.

Sarahh1994
22nd April 2014, 04:37 PM
The cars done almost 55,000 miles.

Okay, thanks for the info Steve :)