PDA

View Full Version : Black spots on turbo heat shield

Eddie_JCW
15th April 2014, 10:49 PM
So I went to do an ECU reset and noticed black spots on the heat shield and engine cover. Once everything cooled down I had a look, no apparent oil leaks and most of the spots were hard? Almost like tar. Would oil dry like that in heat? Surely it'd burn off especially on the turbo heat shield.

badwolf340
16th April 2014, 06:50 AM
Could be something that you have driven through and its landed on a hot engine ?

badwolf340
16th April 2014, 06:52 AM
And have you tried to remove any of the marks once the engone had cooled down

Eddie_JCW
16th April 2014, 08:03 AM
And have you tried to remove any of the marks once the engone had cooled down

Yes, some won't move like tar, some was still like a liquid. It's odd, it's like it's came from nowhere.

I am worried considering I've just fitted the intercooler :( but I'm hoping it's nothing.

MINI William
16th April 2014, 08:17 AM
Try a little tar remover to shift some of the more stubborn stains. Can you see anything similar coming up from the intercooler from a loose pipe etc.

Eddie_JCW
16th April 2014, 08:26 AM
It doesn't seem to be coming up from that area either. My suspicion is I've got a dodgy filler cap or as your dad said it's something I've driven through. I'm going to have a proper look today before work.

It could be nothing it's not like it's everywhere or that it's a huge amount. It's like 1 or 2ml max if it's oil, but I can't see why it'd go hard like tar and not burn off, the wet spots didn't feel greasy and left no residue.

MINI William
16th April 2014, 08:34 AM
There has been a lot of road works as per usual at this time of year for the end of the financial year. As I say try some tar remover on it. If you don't have any feel free to pop round to the house and you can use some of mine.

Eddie_JCW
16th April 2014, 08:39 AM
There has been a lot of road works as per usual at this time of year for the end of the financial year. As I say try some tar remover on it. If you don't have any feel free to pop round to the house and you can use some of mine.

Thanks William :thumbs up: I'll clean it off, if it comes back I'll be getting it straight to MINI. Just thought I'd check on here first in case anyone had it before.

Eddie_JCW
16th April 2014, 10:30 AM
Well I've had a look, and tried to clean it but tardis isn't shifting it. If you don't mind William I might pop over at some point in case you see something I don't. It may just be tar and I may just be paranoid. I just don't remember seeing it there when I fitted the intercooler but I wasn't looking for anything abnormal.

MINI William
16th April 2014, 11:54 AM
Well I've had a look, and tried to clean it but tardis isn't shifting it. If you don't mind William I might pop over at some point in case you see something I don't. It may just be tar and I may just be paranoid. I just don't remember seeing it there when I fitted the intercooler but I wasn't looking for anything abnormal.

Not a bother to pop over ill PM you my mobile number