PDA

View Full Version : Road Grip

Sheilz
27th August 2004, 06:55 AM
Have runflats on my car but dont think I'm too happy with them. Every now and then I feel the car slipping. I've noticed it most when crossing lanes and not necessarily involving any great speed. For instance tonight the rear end did a mini(no pun intended)jig coming into Aberdeen about 60. What's the (cheapest) cure! Car's slipping about on the road make me nervous. Hamish would never have misbehaved like this!
:D

sleepyrascal
27th August 2004, 08:48 AM
Hey, trust me, that arse skipping is very controlable and becomes a nice fun feature once you get used to it. The run-flats on my 17"s are brilliant in the dry and crap in the wet.

Smurf
27th August 2004, 04:05 PM
My runflats aren't too hot in the wet either - but it's FUN!!

My previous car was worse than the MINI for skipping about on white lines, especially when they were wet.

Sorry Sheilz - don't know of a cure.....

Julz
27th August 2004, 04:27 PM
The runflats I had were very poor in all conditions, the best cure is a new set of alloys with Toyo Proxes attached!!;):D

GAJ
27th August 2004, 04:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

The runflats I had were very poor in all conditions, the best cure is a new set of alloys with Toyo Proxes attached!!;):D

or Goodyear Eagle F1s. Fantastic grip in the dry, absolutely amazing in the wet!:D

Gismo
27th August 2004, 06:02 PM
Toyo Proxies are great all rounders, however, non are brilliant in the extreme wet we've just had :evil:

Julz
27th August 2004, 07:15 PM
Plus, Proxes are a fair whack cheaper than F1's!!;) (especially if ordered from A1 Tyres in Glaswog!:clown:)

MartinSullivan
27th August 2004, 07:18 PM

Plus, Proxes are a fair whack cheaper than F1's!!;) (especially if ordered from A1 Tyres in Glaswog!:clown:)

Wheres Glaswog then? :D

Going to look stupid when Julz changes her spelling - oh well :D

GAJ
27th August 2004, 07:21 PM
Not if you get them from Uncle Willie!

Julz
27th August 2004, 07:27 PM
Do you know if he sells Proxes too??;):approve:

X30YES
28th August 2004, 12:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

Have runflats on my car but dont think I'm too happy with them. Every now and then I feel the car slipping. I've noticed it most when crossing lanes and not necessarily involving any great speed. For instance tonight the rear end did a mini(no pun intended)jig coming into Aberdeen about 60. What's the (cheapest) cure! Car's slipping about on the road make me nervous. Hamish would never have misbehaved like this!
The jump to R/F17's takes a bit of getting used to, and I noticed that wee jig now and again when hitting uneven surfaces, also they dont like the wet roads either...murder on wet cobbles, but great when warm and on good roads ,lots of talk about 16 or 17's going on just now and also tyer choice ....

john
28th August 2004, 01:24 AM
I have run with Federals for the last three years,before that I always used Yokohamas but the yokes were out ov stock so I tried the faderals and have never looked back (except to look at slower cars)

The federals are cheep too, £130 a pair for 215/40X17:)

DNV122
28th August 2004, 05:19 AM
Sheilz - what make of runflats have you got and have you checked the pressures ? My tyres tramline a bit on white lines, but when they are warm they morph into glue !
I'm washing one of the cars in the morning, so drop by and I'll have a wee look and check tyre pressures if you want .....

Sheilz
28th August 2004, 08:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by DNV122

Sheilz - what make of runflats have you got and have you checked the pressures ? My tyres tramline a bit on white lines, but when they are warm they morph into glue !
I'm washing one of the cars in the morning, so drop by and I'll have a wee look and check tyre pressures if you want .....

Thank you. Will you be at the shell garage? And what time?

Sheilz
28th August 2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks everyone. Am away to price these different tyres. I can remember a time (just!) when I thought jigging cars was fun but nowadays I like them to stay firmly attached to the tarmac! Now I need to price those mentioned and try and get some discount with my MCR card.
:D:D:D:D

The Dogfather
28th August 2004, 08:52 AM
sheilz, I'd go with the federals as John advises (if he's happy with them then they've been tested to the limit) they're cheap and good in both wet n dry conditions. You need to give turriff tyres (pf tyres) a call.

Sheilz
28th August 2004, 04:44 PM
Guy at Hi Q has refused to put F1 tyres on my car! Said the car is designed for the runflats. Mentioned something about the computer, car being set for them blah, blah.... Told me to go to John Clark for advice. Told him a lot of mini drivers change their tyres because they're too heavy, etc. Dont think he believed me!

X30YES
28th August 2004, 04:52 PM
pure P**h ....I'm sure someone will give you a more technical answer if you ask , meantime get down the gym and get on the weights:D!!

Sheilz
28th August 2004, 05:13 PM
Phoned the Willowbank Road branch. Guy couldn't have been more helpful. has told me to lower the pressure on back wheel by no more than 2psi and give that a trial before changing the wheels/tyres. He didnt recommend Federal runflats. I guess its not runflats John is driving with. On scale of 1-40, goodyear 1 dunlop 2(mine) . Federals way down at 19. also said the Federals would only give about 4/5000 miles. He described these as inferior budget tyres because of their rubber compound.

Sheilz
28th August 2004, 05:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

pure P**h ....I'm sure someone will give you a more technical answer if you ask , meantime get down the gym and get on the weights:D!!

er ehm! why?

Sheilz
28th August 2004, 05:38 PM

Hey Angus, just noticed your sig has changed. Does this mean the new car is on the road? Are you pleased with it? (daft question)Have you given him a name and are you looking forward to his debut tomorrow? (should have been a copper not a sw!:I)
:D:D:D

X30YES
28th August 2004, 05:42 PM
Lots of people have changed the tyres Sheilz ,so I dont see a problem with that , as you know the mini does run on non runflats, only thing I can think of is the warning indicator has to be disabled I think if you change to non run flats .Take some advice from the guys who have changed them before getting new ones .I'm not keen on the RF either but will get some miles out of them I think and change them when worn .

X30YES
28th August 2004, 05:46 PM
Have the car but not taxed till 1st Sept

GAJ
28th August 2004, 07:37 PM

Lots of people have changed the tyres Sheilz ,so I dont see a problem with that , as you know the mini does run on non runflats, only thing I can think of is the warning indicator has to be disabled I think if you change to non run flats .Take some advice from the guys who have changed them before getting new ones .I'm not keen on the RF either but will get some miles out of them I think and change them when worn .

No need to disable the indicator!

Sheilz
28th August 2004, 07:52 PM
I'll try the runflats at slightly lower pressure to see how it goes. If I still find it skipping I will change them. Possibly the wheels as well. I guess wheels would have to be BMW approved since it would affect the warranty. It would wouldn't it?

redpoint rallying
29th August 2004, 04:03 AM
Whos the best supplier for Federals and anyone got their contact details?

Thanks

The Dogfather
29th August 2004, 04:54 AM
Redpoint - I got mine from Turriff Tyres.

Sheilz - Mine and John aren't runflats and the indicator still works even with different alloys.

sleepyrascal
29th August 2004, 05:47 AM
Nice one. On my way back from Banff today, it started raining fairly heavily. I was taking a left hand long bend having passed a scabby fiesta, and I ended up on the wrong side of the road! As I said before though, it was easy to catch it and avoid the cows in the field! Phew!

Sheilz
29th August 2004, 06:23 AM
My tyres were over-inflated. Got them set to the lowest (by a calibrated machine!) and have beeen up and down twice to Arbroath since without any probs; but then the roads were dry!
Went into checkpoint to look at wheels etc. have identified some prety cool wheels with the tyres Julz recommended for £1050 (18") or £800 for 17". Said I'd phone them on Tues to say yae or nae, depending on the state of my credit card!!

The Dogfather
29th August 2004, 05:48 PM
Sheilz - What type of alloys and tyres?

I paid £575 for my 17s.

Sheilz
30th August 2004, 06:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Sheilz - What type of alloys and tyres?

I paid £575 for my 17s.

Flight and toyo proxes. These are pretty smart wheels. the colour is some kind of black which isnt really black! Would be a lot easier to keep than the current whites. Anyway, still amnt sure if I can afford them just now. I was quite pleased by the way Wee Eck performed today, kind of restored my confidence in the car - after my detour to Arbroath tonight found myself driving like I would normally. At one point I thought I'd sell my road angel coz it seemed pointless having it. Think I'll hang on to it for a bit yet!!:D:D:D

Duncan Stewart
30th August 2004, 04:51 PM
Runflat indicator - badly named! - has nothing to do with what wheels / tyres you have fitted. It works on the ABS sensors and detects if one wheel has less pressure than the other - thus it does not detect over inflated / under inflated pairs of tyres only if one has much lower pressure than the other (as in when you get a puncture).
So don't get two punctures at the same time ;) :D

GAJ
30th August 2004, 04:59 PM
It actually doesn't measure pressure at all; Iit measures relative rotational speed on the premise that an under inflate tyre will have a smaller cicumference and hence will rotate faster than a normally inflated tyre. It's nonsense though cos I've had 2 punctures that it did not pick up!

Duncan Stewart
30th August 2004, 05:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

detects if one wheel has less pressure than the other (by using the method of measuring circular rotation quontum phasing in the time line continum)
Happy now :evil: O great moderator all powerful one :clown: ;) :eek: :p

GAJ
30th August 2004, 05:17 PM
Deliriously so!

bloocoop
8th September 2004, 10:00 PM

Hi Julz

My runflats are just about knackered and have always liked the T1-S Proxes on previous cars so think I'll go for them. Is there a good local fitter near us?

bloocoop

Julz
8th September 2004, 10:53 PM
This (http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html) is where I got mine from and if you go and ask the guys at Motorway / McConechys /whatever down by Somerfields, they should fit them for you cause they did mine, or even ask them if they can get them, they couldn't get them for my size, but worth a try!!;)

bloocoop
9th September 2004, 01:21 AM
Thanks Julz - I'll need to go up a diameter and down a profile to 205/50 16s as seems MINI were crafty with the 195/55 16 size - not many decent non-runflat tyres in that size. Maybe that extra 10mm width will make all the difference! I find the dunlop sp3000 runflats give up to easily in dry when "pressing on" and plain crap in wet or damp conditions. Toyos always good in dry and OK in wet.

Julz
9th September 2004, 04:28 PM
I've found the Toyos quite good in the wet! If you can't get them in Blair, Autosave on Clepington Road do them!!;)