PDA

View Full Version : Dull Thread of the Month Winner! Tyre Pressures...

ELFMAN
26th March 2014, 05:07 PM
Hi Folks.

The 'standard' pressure for 205/45/17 is 2.5 bar (not sure what that is in psi) according to my wee chart on the car. This seems a bit high to me and even on non-runflats can make things a bit jiggly (and not in a good way) on the bumpy stuff. Mentioned this to a couple of other NMS buddies recently, and I think the consensus was that it was indeed a bit on the high side. I'm certain I used to run them a bit lower until I spotted the 'correct' figure! :smilewinkgrin:

It'd be interesting to see what others running 17's have found. Obviously having the correct tyre pressures is fairly crucial, but I reckon going just a tad softer wouldn't hurt the tyres and might add a bit more composure over lumpy tarmac. Open to suggestions!

Sorry this is a pretty dull topic, so here's a nice picture of Kate Bush to cheer you up :thumbs up:

stoney
26th March 2014, 05:30 PM
I run my NON run flats at 32psi /2bar

36psi is 2.5 bar

Angib
26th March 2014, 05:34 PM
Pah! The door jamb sticker for the 205/45-17 tyres on my Roadster says 2.8 bar, which is 41psi. And it definitely needs every one of those psi to give the best handling. I actually run my winters at 45psi.

I think there are some people who believe there is one 'good' pressure for all tyres irrespective of load or size - most tyre fitters seem to have a profound faith in 30psi as the 'right' pressure for every tyre.

I suspect the tendency for Mini owners to run lower-than-official pressures is that;
a) they don't really ever corner harder than their gran, so don't care about grip;
b) they wish they hadn't ordered sports suspension and are desperate for any softening of ride.

But I must say that lowering the tyre pressures on my (non-sports) car does nothing to soften the ride - if anything it seems slightly less crashy at full pressure.

stoney
26th March 2014, 06:13 PM
Pah! The door jamb sticker for the 205/45-17 tyres on my Roadster says 2.8 bar, which is 41psi. And it definitely needs every one of those psi to give the best handling. I actually run my winters at 45psi.

I think there are some people who believe there is one 'good' pressure for all tyres irrespective of load or size - most tyre fitters seem to have a profound faith in 30psi as the 'right' pressure for every tyre.

I suspect the tendency for Mini owners to run lower-than-official pressures is that;
a) they don't really ever corner harder than their gran, so don't care about grip;
b) they wish they hadn't ordered sports suspension and are desperate for any softening of ride.

But I must say that lowering the tyre pressures on my (non-sports) car does nothing to soften the ride - if anything it seems slightly less crashy at full pressure.

Not at all if you look at my build thread you will see I run fully adjustable suspension with all my camber set for fast road use has even been set up with me in the drivers seat for best road use I find my clubman is very skippy with the pressure at full whack and a lot more planted at 32psi

Now you ask any of the members here who know me know how I drive and they will tell you I don't tend to hang around and I have done the odd track day here and there

Mon the fish
26th March 2014, 07:32 PM
^^ I'm in a similar boat to this (except R53) and I run 32f/33r after much trial and error

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Craig
26th March 2014, 07:34 PM
I'm with Mon and Stoney :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

weefossy
26th March 2014, 08:09 PM
32 all round for me ....on run flats and non run flats

Big Gordy
26th March 2014, 08:30 PM
^^^ same for me on non runflats :yes nod:
The 19's on the Audi run at 36psi :thumbs up:

badwolf340
26th March 2014, 09:40 PM
Sorry this is a pretty dull topic, so here's a nice picture of Bush to cheer you up :thumbs up:

5011[/QUOTE]
cant beat a nice bush :thud:

Mon the fish
26th March 2014, 10:07 PM
To be fair, this is one thing we can all change that can have a big impact on handling.

Forgot to mention I'm on Parada Spec 2's

Sideways Steve
26th March 2014, 11:33 PM
I'm also running 32 all round on Parada spec 2's :) and I certainly don't hang about lol :)

ELFMAN
27th March 2014, 09:39 AM
Pah! The door jamb sticker for the 205/45-17 tyres on my Roadster says 2.8 bar, which is 41psi. And it definitely needs every one of those psi to give the best handling. I actually run my winters at 45psi. I think there are some people who believe there is one 'good' pressure for all tyres irrespective of load or size - most tyre fitters seem to have a profound faith in 30psi as the 'right' pressure for every tyre.

a) they don't really ever corner harder than their gran, so don't care about grip; [/B

[B]Oh Dear :frown: I don't think that's right.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the feedback folks. I used to run 32/33psi on my R53, but that was on 16's and Runflats.

Like Stoney, I feel the car can get a bit 'skippy' at 36psi. I'm going to knock them back a wee bit 1psi a bit at a time just to see how it goes. I can't imagine running at 41psi - that must be like driving on solid rubber - and no, I don't corner like a 'Granny' either! :smilewinkgrin: No offence to any Petrolhead Grannies out there, don't want to be ageist and sexist as well as over-inflated :hand:

badwolf340
27th March 2014, 06:59 PM
this thread is turning into something that is far from being dull :yes nod: ,for the peeps that have been running lower pressures ,has anyone noticed any excess wear patterns on their tyres or none at all .
Elfman your are welcome my son :laugh:

stoney
27th March 2014, 08:35 PM
this thread is turning into something that is far from being dull :yes nod: ,for the peeps that have been running lower pressures ,has anyone noticed any excess wear patterns on their tyres or none at all .

nope just normal but i have always run the same on all my 17"wheels

Just oemrded some new rubber so going to try a few different psi and report back soon 😁 rubber should be here 2morow just need to make up my mind what wheels are going on the car now lol

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_212 using Tapatalk

mini mad andy
27th March 2014, 08:44 PM

Also has anybody noticed any uneven tyre wear that has been using the recommended pressure ie. more wear in the centre of the tread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
27th March 2014, 10:05 PM
I run 2 degrees of negative camber, and change tyres when they wear out, don't notice the mileage tbh

weefossy
27th March 2014, 10:20 PM
I've lost more tyres to potholes than I have to wearing. I've also had a buckled wheel from potholes; does anybody think that would that have been prevented if I had been running on higher pressures?

Mon the fish
27th March 2014, 10:26 PM
Doubt it tbh, a slightly lower pressure would act as a better shock absorber maybe? If the pothole was big enough it would trash the alloy regardless of pressure I would think

mini mad andy
27th March 2014, 10:34 PM
Mon it was more the way the tyre was wearing than the mileage, was the wear more on the tread edges than the centre or is the wear even across the tread.

Regarding damaging the wheels i would think that if the pressure is low when you hit a pot hole you will be more likely to damage a wheel, but if you hit a pot hole hard with any low profile tyre you are likely to damage a wheel.

Mon the fish
28th March 2014, 06:46 AM
I wear the inside slightly more but that'll be due to the camber

Alex from NM
28th March 2014, 09:25 AM
Normally 34 all round as I like a firmer feel to the car that the bit extra 2 psi gives

mini mad andy
28th March 2014, 10:01 AM
I wear the inside slightly more but that'll be due to the camber

Yeah, as you say that's due to the camber, nothing to do with tyre pressure.

ELFMAN
7th April 2014, 01:06 PM
Reduced pressure at weekend from 36psi/2.5 bar to 34psi all round (a useful shape in a tyre...), which feels better - not at all 'wobbly', but it has taken away the slight 'jitteryness' I had been experiencing. You wouldn't think 2 psi would be very noticeable, but it is! The car and me both feel a bit happier now anyway :smilewinkgrin:
Thanks for all the useful feedback everybody :thumbs up:

donnaj1dlh
7th April 2014, 02:31 PM
Holy moly that's hard (as the nun said to the bishop) ..... I could understand those kinda psis for deisel engines (my diesel RCZ is 34psi but that's a heavy lump of a car)...... I'll bear it in mind when I get mine :)

ELFMAN
7th April 2014, 05:05 PM
Holy moly that's hard (as the nun said to the bishop) ..... I could understand those kinda psis for deisel engines (my diesel RCZ is 34psi but that's a heavy lump of a car)...... I'll bear it in mind when I get mine :)

Pressure suggestions have varied from 32psi to 41psi :explode:
I used to run mine at 33 until I noticed the 'official' figure was 36... now settling for 34 for the time being.
As for the Nun - I heard that hard rubber was one of her "Favourite Things" (one for all you "Sound of Music"/SM fans out there) :smilewinkgrin: