PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide....

donnaj1dlh
25th March 2014, 08:25 PM
Saturday is MINI order day. I just need to decide between the Cooper D and the Cooper S so need to test drive them both.

Head is swaying towards the CD....having owned diesels for longer than I care to remember and it's gonna be much cheaper to run. BUT the hooligan in me is loving the CS after watching all the youtube vids (also my better half wants me to get the CS...he is the devil in my shoulder).

My quandary is this.....if I go for the CS then I will be ordering orange, black roof/wheels but if I go for a CD I'm thinking a more subtle red. BUT I'm tempted to go retro with a Union Jack roof/mirrors, black wheels.

Anyone else seen this combo on an F56 yet? Naff or no??

MINI William
25th March 2014, 08:37 PM
It all comes down to what you need and want. Are you covering huge distances with the car for commuting? A diesel will always be more economical for this sort of thing however the S with its new driving modes can be economical as well. Had a few R56 Cooper D's and they were always great fun to drive on a run and were never left behind sometimes were actually annoying an S

KenL
25th March 2014, 08:44 PM
The "orange" is a bold choice that may not be popular or worth as much when you come to sell. You might want to also test drive the petrol Cooper to see if it meets all your needs. Most people opt for a diesel if you do a lot of miles. Given that it is ~£1500 more than a Cooper it doesn't make sense if you are not doing >15k miles per year.

In performance terms the diesel will have some in gear performance advantage over the Cooper but overall the Cooper is a quicker car. The Cooper will be more economical than the S, but MINI never get near the official figures (does any maker?).

You could order red/black and get the roof fitted aftermarket if you want it.

Whatever you decide, it will be great. Keep us posted. I am planning on a test drive in the next few weeks, a Cooper petrol is definitely what I am after.

Eddie_JCW
25th March 2014, 11:51 PM
If performance and noise matters I'd say it has to be the S, because if that's what you really want, you'll regret getting a D.

With the colour that's a difficult one, I've only seen some of the colours and the ones I like most are White Silver obviously, Thunder Grey although it still suits the GP more, BRG, Deep Blue, and Volcanic Orange which I think will become a really popular colour. I'm not keen on the red. I'd love to see the Moonwalk Grey and pepper white (I don't think PW will suit the F56).

As William says the cooper D isn't really a slouch

Gismo
25th March 2014, 11:53 PM
As others have said, but, i'd question the orange colour choice, if you ever decide to sell or trade you'll see the downside of picking it.
Of all the people i see who have said they want to see more vibrant colours i've yet to see them actually buying one

EcosseGP
26th March 2014, 12:33 AM
As above it's always difficult deciding especially when you've got so many choices ..
Personally I'd get what you want, you'll always find that's it's a love and hate thing, some will love it others will hate it from colours to wheels .. If you get a car that suits your needs and you're happy with it that's all that matters.
I'd go for in your face and make it stand out .. Orange and "S" all the way ;)

jdl_1967
26th March 2014, 08:23 AM
I love the economy of a diesel but at this time in my life can (just about) afford to run a petrol that to me sounds great and has the power delivery charactetistics that I much prefer to drive.

Again , all very personal things but I'm willing to sacrifice economy for the enjoyment of a revvy and unecominical car.

Mind you, I've got an R53 and the newer R56 S and even newer F56 S will be far closer to the economy of a diesel than mine.

I've only ever owned 2 diesels out of the 30 odd cars I've owned in total. So you can see my leaning, but others will be the opposite.

As for noise, I heard an old Skoda VRS yesterday with an after market exhaust that sounded amazing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mini mad andy
26th March 2014, 09:14 AM
Apparently there is a problem with the Cooper D, the delivery of cars has been put on hold and they have stopped Cooper D production. Allegedly there is an acoustic problem with the engine, the dealers have been told not to do more than 1500 miles on the demonstrators. If this is true it sounds like it might cause quite a delivery delay.

In saying that I have had loads of diesels and currently have a Countryman Cooper D, I think they give a more relaxed drive as you don't have to change gear so much.

You maybe have to ask the dealer to be honest about delivery and have some test drives to see which one suits your needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ianking
26th March 2014, 09:23 AM
Yeah the dealer told me the same yesterday regards the acoustic problem with cooper D and that production has been delayed.

That may help you make up your mind and put you in an S.

donnaj1dlh
26th March 2014, 09:28 AM
Yes I heard that too. I'm not shocked considering it's a brand new diesel engine and there are bound to be teething problems (hopefully minor ones). I guess that means folk waiting on the petrols will possibly be getting them ahead of schedule then?
Looks like it might be in the 'in your face/happy chappy' Cooper S for me then, sod it........ :):sunny:

mini mad andy
26th March 2014, 09:44 AM
Worth having a test drive in both, if you like the Cooper D you might think it is worth waiting for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk