PDA

View Full Version : Aus Gp

badwolf340
16th March 2014, 08:17 AM
Watching the Aus GP just now and how bad do the cars sound, sound just like the video games now ...very poor may sound better if you are there but maybe not :(

Crombers
16th March 2014, 08:21 AM
Don't suppose we'll get to avoid hearing the result before BBC coverage this afternoon :rolleyes: :Whistle:

Nah ........... who am i kidding ......... suppose not :cool: :smilewinkgrin:

DarnShiv
16th March 2014, 08:45 AM
Watching the Aus GP just now and how bad do the cars sound, sound just like the video games now ...very poor may sound better if you are there but maybe not :(

Have to agree Brian, they don't sound good at all

Duncan Stewart
16th March 2014, 03:39 PM
Strange sound!

jdl_1967
16th March 2014, 05:28 PM
It sounds like the firing order isn't even. Yamaha did this with the R1 and I believe Moto GP bikes are similar. It has a name that escapes me right now.

Apparently if you have unequal timings between your power strokes (i.e power strokes are clumped together) the longer gaps, when it's not firing allow the tyres to regain traction if they do start to slide. This might help to negate the adverse effects that the increased torque brings on these new engines, as was seen yesterday in the wet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gismo
16th March 2014, 05:45 PM
It sounds like the firing order isn't even. Yamaha did this with the R1 and I believe Moto GP bikes are similar. It has a name that escapes me right now.Crossplane?

mini mad andy
16th March 2014, 05:49 PM
Don't know if the cars have them but the R1 uses a cross plane crank. I think the cars GP cars have V6 engines so I would doubt they have unconventional cranks I think it is just a muffled noise due to the two turbos, 1 for the engine and 1 for the ERS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mini mad andy
16th March 2014, 05:49 PM
Sorry Gismo I must be a slower typer !!!

Gismo
16th March 2014, 05:50 PM
Sorry Gismo I must be a slower typer !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk:lol:

jdl_1967
16th March 2014, 07:05 PM
That's it flat-plane, or Big Bang too I think.

mini mad andy
16th March 2014, 07:20 PM
In a inline 4 cylinder engine a flat plane crank is conventional ie. the same as your mini and just about if not all production inline 4 production engines. Cross plane is the same as big bang ie what Yamaha use.

jdl_1967
16th March 2014, 10:06 PM
In a inline 4 cylinder engine a flat plane crank is conventional ie. the same as your mini and just about if not all production inline 4 production engines. Cross plane is the same as big bang ie what Yamaha use.

Doh, sorry Andy, I did mean cross plane

Cheers

John

mini mad andy
16th March 2014, 10:40 PM
Yeah think after watching the end of the GP I think it is going to have to be Moto GP for my noise fix :yes nod:.

Hope you have BT Sport as that seems to be the only channel that Moto GP is going to be on this year, if you have BT Broadband you can get an app to watch it on your phone / pad for free or if you have unlimited BT Broadband (or whatever it's called) I think you can get it free on your TV.

Big Gordy
17th March 2014, 09:00 AM
i thought they sounded pretty good IMO. I was never a great fan of the high pitched scream TBH. More of a meaty growl now.....nice. Love the fact they're harder to to drive now with that big dollup of torque coming on tap when you hit the throttle.....lovely :yes nod:

Gismo
17th March 2014, 02:54 PM
Kinda enjoyed the new engine set up, i don't understand the reasoning for the limited amount of engines available, by that i mean, so few, whatever happened to racing and being able to provide the best you were able to do

Big Gordy
17th March 2014, 03:35 PM
They're following MotoGP Alan........its all down to trying to cut down the costs of competing. Up until now it was all about how deep your pockets were. Just glad they're harder to drive as now the best drivers have a chance of influencing the results.

badwolf340
17th March 2014, 09:08 PM
They're following MotoGP Alan........its all down to trying to cut down the costs of competing. Up until now it was all about how deep your pockets were. Just glad they're harder to drive as now the best drivers have a chance of influencing the results.

yip good points :yes nod: