PDA

View Full Version : Mods and warranty

Eddie_JCW
24th February 2014, 03:51 PM
I was considering getting an Alta CAI and Evolve Decat but then I had a thought has anyone spoke with MINI regarding their warranty?

I spoke with my cousin who works at Douglas Park Glasgow and he spoke with the service dept who recommend not doing anything to the engine :( I know the CAI is easy enough to return to standard but the Decat would be a pain.

Any thoughts/experience with this?

Thanks.

stoney
24th February 2014, 04:56 PM
Never had a problem yet with mine and it's been in to the dealer 2/3 times for little things to be done

KenL
24th February 2014, 05:35 PM
Dealers can in theory not do TLC service work if the car has been modified. It's in the terms and conditions.

Eddie_JCW
24th February 2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys, Ken I hadn't even thought of that. I reckon I'll just go for the Alta intake just can't decide whether to go for red or black, it'll be removed for services and any time I need to put it into MINI it'll be worth it to get my services done.

MINI William
24th February 2014, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys, Ken I hadn't even thought of that. I reckon I'll just go for the Alta intake just can't decide whether to go for red or black, it'll be removed for services and any time I need to put it into MINI it'll be worth it to get my services done.

Wise choice as depending on how you get on with your dealer these things can go wrong. With the N18 engine the CEL light can't be removed with a scangauge or the likes as it's done on the N14.

Eddie why not look at the AEM there are a few deals on these just now. There is a specific N18 kit but the N14 will fit after cutting the supplied pipe. Looks cool as well

Mon the fish
24th February 2014, 07:42 PM
Decat is illegal anyway

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Eddie_JCW
24th February 2014, 08:37 PM
Wise choice as depending on how you get on with your dealer these things can go wrong. With the N18 engine the CEL light can't be removed with a scangauge or the likes as it's done on the N14.

Eddie why not look at the AEM there are a few deals on these just now. There is a specific N18 kit but the N14 will fit after cutting the supplied pipe. Looks cool as well

AEM is nice and I like the idea of the cold air feed from the scoop, but I did love the turbo noise from the Alta.

If the CEL is reset how long will it stay off for? I've got a OBD cable I used to code my BMW or can't it be done via OBD?

MINI William
24th February 2014, 08:53 PM
AEM is nice and I like the idea of the cold air feed from the scoop, but I did love the turbo noise from the Alta.

If the CEL is reset how long will it stay off for? I've got a OBD cable I used to code my BMW or can't it be done via OBD?

Can still hear it with the Aem. I would have had the AEM if it wasn't for the GP strutbrace.

The CEL light can't be removed via the OBD on N18

Eddie_JCW
24th February 2014, 09:09 PM
I'll have to have a think, I do think the AEM would suit my style of driving.

I didn't know that it couldn't be reset via OBD, I guess it's all to do with the new ECU.

Thanks for the advice William.

stoney
24th February 2014, 10:14 PM
AEM is class and if your going for one speak to Rich at orranje tell him your new mini Scotland and I told you to speak to him he is a real nice guy and happy to help

MINI William
24th February 2014, 10:33 PM
I'll have to have a think, I do think the AEM would suit my style of driving.

I didn't know that it couldn't be reset via OBD, I guess it's all to do with the new ECU.

Thanks for the advice William.

No bother Eddie. Always happy to help. As Stoney has said speak to Orranje I've only ever heard good things about them

weefossy
24th February 2014, 11:03 PM
Think the d-cat is an MOT failure is it not? Never had any comments / problems with PV BMW re the Alta filter.

stoney
24th February 2014, 11:04 PM
Think the d-cat is an MOT failure is it not? Never had any comments / problems with PV BMW re the Alta filter.

Yep it is but that can be got round :lol:

Eddie_JCW
24th February 2014, 11:09 PM
AEM is class and if your going for one speak to Rich at orranje tell him your new mini Scotland and I told you to speak to him he is a real nice guy and happy to help

What's the difference between the N18 and N14 AEM intakes apart from £132 :lol:

stoney
24th February 2014, 11:10 PM
Not 100% tbh will have a look and let you know think it the inlet tube and heat shield that are different

stoney
24th February 2014, 11:16 PM
There are a few difference in the kit best to speak to Rich he will point you in the right direction

MINI William
24th February 2014, 11:17 PM
What's the difference between the N18 and N14 AEM intakes apart from £132 :lol:

Heatsheild and the hard pipe kit. Will still fit but the hard pipe needs to be cut.

Eddie_JCW
24th February 2014, 11:19 PM
There are a few difference in the kit best to speak to Rich he will point you in the right direction

Cheers mate, will do that and let you know how I get on, hopefully you'll be seeing pics of my engine bay with its first mod ;)

stoney
24th February 2014, 11:23 PM
Heatsheild and the hard pipe kit. Will still fit but the hard pipe needs to but cut.

Heat shield wont fit as needs different holes in it dose it not ?

MINI William
24th February 2014, 11:26 PM
Heat shield wont fit as needs different holes in it dose it not ?

I was meaning the actual induction will fit. The heatsheild still won't fit I learned the hard way

stoney
25th February 2014, 08:31 AM
I was meaning the actual induction will fit. The heatsheild still won't fit I learned the hard way

Got ya :)