PDA

View Full Version : Carpets Wet - Passenger Footwell - 2010 Mini First

h8oag
24th February 2014, 11:35 AM
Hi

Torrential rain over the weekend and my Daughter announces that the carpets are wet on the passenger side.
A quick check confirms carpets are indeed soaked front and rear on passenger side.
Pulled back carpet under dash and no obvious signs of water coming down from bulkhead or screen.

It has sat out in the drive in all weathers and this is the first leak

Any ideas what would cause a significant amount of water to enter the cabin............are there any grommets on the floorpan etc.? M

mini mad andy
24th February 2014, 11:56 AM
Could be the high winds were driving the rain past either the door or window seals, maybe the wind was hitting the car at a differant angle. I have also in the past had a car that the water came in through the heater, there will be drains under the bonnet to drain the water that comes in the heater air intake, the drains can get gummed up with grime that stopes them working properly.

Craig
24th February 2014, 12:39 PM
I have heard of the heater matrix failing and dumping water I to the car... As Andy says, check seals too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daver6
3rd March 2014, 09:22 PM
How level is your drive/road, if this falls to 1 side this can cause water ingress. I found out to my peril....
If you think it may be the heater matrix, the coolant level will have dropped.

Sideways Steve
4th March 2014, 02:52 PM
Is your bonnet release on the passenger side or drivers side ?

I have had this before and actually had to pretty much strip out teh entire interior and dash to find out where teh water was coming from, turned out to be coming in via the bonnet release cable. When you looked in the engine bay the cable was sitting against the inner wing and water was running down the cable right through the grommet in the bulkhead and completely soaking the carpets from the bottom up.

This happened to me on 2 completely different makes of car so its certainly a possibility worth looking at if there is nothing else visible.

Another thing that can happen is the door drains can become blocked and the water running off the roof when it rains can actually fill the door up internally and spill out beneath the door trim panel. You wont see this happening due to the way the trim meets the door shut so this is only able to be checked by stripping off the door panel and checking that teh drains are not blocked with debris/wax/dirt etc.

boozeman
4th March 2014, 03:33 PM
Check door seals that was my problem. I couldn't even see the problem, it was a small knick in it