PDA

View Full Version : DASH LIGHTS

djlow1969
15th February 2014, 11:59 PM
hi just got home from 2 weeks away and went out in my mcs for a run and got down to the bottom of the hill about 700yds away and the dash id going mad ie temp was popping up yellow then the engine management light comes on also yellow then the tyre light is on and athe temp is now flashing red what is going on please help so confused as I am new to mini but not bmw yours d:oops:

Craig
16th February 2014, 12:05 AM
This can sometimes happen due to low battery.... Check it first. Because there are various things coming its what Id check first...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Gismo
16th February 2014, 04:54 AM
Yep, agree, new battery required, what is the age of the current car or at least the battery, normal life approx 5 years

djlow1969
16th February 2014, 07:53 AM
my car is a 08 and will check the battery today thanks

badwolf340
16th February 2014, 10:55 AM
More likely what the others say ,one of the reasons my 1M is kept on a CTEK conditioner/charger system

Mon the fish
16th February 2014, 10:56 PM
Wouldn't assume it's the battery if it started Ok - BC module?

My car is 9, sits idle for 4 weeks at a time, and is still on the original battery

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

djlow1969
17th February 2014, 12:57 AM
the car starts great was out today in it and again the temp keeps flashing RED them the engine management light comes on will be phoning bmw to book it in as I can not even go for a good run in it,,,, was driving today and switched the heater on and it was blowing hot air then it went cold and I did not move the dials what is going on try and put my foot down and the car starts to shudder can anyone help please

Mon the fish
17th February 2014, 06:47 AM
Hook up a fault code reader first

EcosseGP
17th February 2014, 08:04 AM
That doesn't sound good at all. Have you checked the oil and water in it ? Could be head issue ... Would be worth checking with a scanner if the engine management lights on ..

mini mad andy
17th February 2014, 12:17 PM
The fact that the temp. changes from hot to cold makes it sound more mechanical than electrical, If you know someone with a compression tester it would be worth having that done. Was it ok before you went away? As has already been said, have you checked the oil and coolant for both level and to make sure they are not contaminated?

Mon the fish
17th February 2014, 04:30 PM
Oh, and don't trust the mini temperature gauge, it's not accurate in the slightest. An OBD reader is your friend

djlow1969
18th February 2014, 10:19 AM
the OBR say it has no faults have just looked under the oil cap and it is grey in colour what does this mean please say that it is good or the car will be going back to the garage and I want a refund

Gismo
18th February 2014, 10:42 AM
You're being a big vague, is there any water in the coolant system?
The grey can occur if you do a lot of short or stop start journeys.

You also said that no hot air was coming from the heater, which indicates coolant loss, loss of power can also be either limp mode or a cooked engine, but then you say it starts fine :idunno:

Mon the fish
18th February 2014, 12:45 PM
There'll be a fault code somewhere for all this, or a wet BC module

mini mad andy
18th February 2014, 01:49 PM
Did you check the coolant and was it's level ok and was the fluid clean with anti freeze in it but no sludge?

When you start the car does it run smoothly?

Not sure how the Body Control module could change the air temp. coming out of the heater from hot to cold, as Gismo says it sounds like a coolant loss.

It is a bit strange that there are no error codes appearing as you would think some sensor would sense something is wrong.

Has the car been tuned?

djlow1969
18th February 2014, 02:08 PM
the car has been tuned and I think it could be the head gasket but I could be wrong going back to the garage and they can fix it only had it 3 weeks there is fluid in the coolant tank but it does not look good

Mon the fish
18th February 2014, 02:16 PM
When you say tuned - how and by whom?

mini mad andy
18th February 2014, 02:25 PM
the car has been tuned and I think it could be the head gasket but I could be wrong going back to the garage and they can fix it only had it 3 weeks there is fluid in the coolant tank but it does not look good

Sounds like a trip back to the garage is a good idea. At the least get them to fix it.

djlow1969
18th February 2014, 05:57 PM
was remapped by ves sport

Mon the fish
18th February 2014, 06:08 PM
Custom remap via AFR, or ECU flash only?

mini mad andy
18th February 2014, 10:12 PM
was remapped by ves sport

Unlikley to be caused by a remap, unless it caused the car to overheat.

Best get the garage you got the car from to sort it, no point in you paying for more than you have to.

Mon the fish
18th February 2014, 11:10 PM
Bluefin etc cause pinking and ultimately overheating on cylinder 4

djlow1969
22nd February 2014, 04:52 PM
car all sorted and back on the road needed a pipe fitted to the water pump thanks again for all your help guys
scanned and no faults battery fine holding good charge

Gismo
23rd February 2014, 07:43 AM
Nice one though I'd be curious why a water pipe was missing

mini mad andy
23rd February 2014, 01:40 PM
Good to hear it's fixed :thumbs up:, presume the pipe was leaking and not missing.

djlow1969
24th February 2014, 06:40 PM
yes just leaking thanks guys