PDA

View Full Version : HEADLIGHTS

sleepyrascal
25th August 2004, 08:52 AM
I know people have talked about this before, but how many minis are actually affected by crap full beam headlights. My ones were ok at first but now they just light up the ground right infront of me. The level swith still moves the light up and down, and they are set at the highest position. Has anyone had this problem so I can go to John Clark with some ammo. Dealers will always say, "oh iv'e never seen this happen before"!!

Gismo
25th August 2004, 04:35 PM
My lights have been and always will be utter crap :(

john
25th August 2004, 04:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

My lights have been and always will be utter crap :(

Funny that! I have the same lights and my lights are

CRAP TOO!:D

Julz
25th August 2004, 04:48 PM
Well, I must admit that my lights are the mostest bestest lights in the world for being crap!!:evil:

Duncan Stewart
25th August 2004, 04:57 PM
I am disappointed with the lights on my Mini. Thinking about spotlights for the upcoming dark drives to / from work.

GAJ
25th August 2004, 04:58 PM
I'm going to be controversial here - mine seem OK. Well averageish, seen worse, not bad but not great!

Scottie
25th August 2004, 05:00 PM
I thought mine were ok. But it's never out in the dark.

Sheilz
25th August 2004, 05:13 PM
My moan is with dips. They are not good. When I went to JC following my problem with them, I was told NO ONE has ever moaned about them before!
Perhaps I should post them this, and other threads!
:D

X30YES
25th August 2004, 05:20 PM
Yip same probs here with the head lt's on my last two Mini's..the new S has no Level switch so lets hope the Xenon's are better ...I know they are on paper lets hope so but will add two spots just to make sure (4 not BMW approved now )

Big Gordy
25th August 2004, 08:56 PM
:eek:Are you lot MAD :p You let it out at night. Our mini has a 9pm curfew :p:D:approve:

GAJ
25th August 2004, 09:46 PM
Mine is out all night, every night - little minx!;)

X30YES
25th August 2004, 11:27 PM
Was it M&S Cheese and Chive dips ??? :D:D:D...ok :blackeye:
quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

My moan is with dips. They are not good. When I went to JC following my problem with them, I was told NO ONE has ever moaned about them before!

DNV122
26th August 2004, 06:13 AM
Och Aye - Winter's drawing in - how about a contest to see who can get done for driving without lights ? OK then, get some osrams in the main beam - from what I can remember from last year when I last use the lights, the Xenon/Osram combination is pretty good.

eddie 44
26th August 2004, 07:12 AM
you wanna eat more carrots :p

lightbody
26th August 2004, 07:58 AM
Mine have always been OK. The height-adjuster thing has failed a couple of times though (i.e. when i start up, they're stuck on lowest setting). If I drive my Mum's Rover 200, I quickly realise the MINI's ones could be a lot worse!!

sleepyrascal
26th August 2004, 09:21 AM
Im gona swing in past John Clark and get some spots fitted.

Sheilz
26th August 2004, 04:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Was it M&S Cheese and Chive dips ??? :D:D:D...ok :blackeye:

sainsburys - nae enuff garlic!

:D:D:D

X30YES
26th August 2004, 05:21 PM
BMW spots are very small and for the money I would look else where , mickeythemini over on mini2 has just fitted Hella's to a car and look bigger and better .I have been looking for ages at them and would say dealer fitted ones are not the best on the market !!!! at the end of the day its your choice and money .Just my 2p worth on the subject :p
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

Im gona swing in past John Clark and get some spots fitted.

Sheilz
27th August 2004, 07:02 AM
I went to see about upgrading my lights today - 1K! Passed on that one. Cheapest option I could get was the 50% brighter bulbs. If I remember correctly Paul has these and did find some improvement. When its dark and raining the driving lamps just spoil the whole mini experience. At this rate I'll be spending the winter driving Daisy:(

sleepyrascal
27th August 2004, 08:46 AM
I'm getting well hacked off. I have my lights at the highest setting as it has to be to get a decent beam when on full, but on dipped, everyone keeps flashing me cos they are to bright (set to high)! I can't win!

3GGG
27th August 2004, 04:24 PM
I have to say I am 'delighted' (pun intended) with my MINI Xenon lights. Full beam is brilliant and dipped very good. 90% of driving on our busy roads is on dipped beam anyway, so driving lamps don't help. My Renault Megane has much worse lights and I find I have to use the fogs to see the verges properly. Maybe its because I remember driving cars with non halogen lamps and dynamos that could barely charge the battery when the lights were on!

X30YES
28th August 2004, 12:24 AM

I went to see about upgrading my lights today - 1K! Passed on that one. Cheapest option I could get was the 50% brighter bulbs. If I remember correctly Paul has these and did find some improvement. When its dark and raining the driving lamps just spoil the whole mini experience. At this rate I'll be spending the winter driving Daisy:(
Better getting the Hella spots that mickeythemini is fitting just now Sheilz...£193
(and the Xenon Enhanced lamps are £18 a pair incl vat . £36 for four lamps main and dip is got to be worth a try )?

sleepyrascal
28th August 2004, 01:15 AM
I bought the xenon enhanced bulbs, then realised that I already had them fitted. It must come with the chilli pack does it?

MartinSullivan
28th August 2004, 02:33 AM
You can get your bulb upgrades at PowerBulbs (http://www.powerbulbs.com/), free delivery. You want H7 type for dip and main - unless you have Xenons then you can only change the dip. I used the Philips ones and they definitely make a difference.

Philips Type (http://www.powerbulbs.com/products/bulbs.php?manufacturer=philips&type=H7)

Osram Type (http://www.powerbulbs.com/products/bulbs.php?manufacturer=osram&type=H7)

Sheilz
28th August 2004, 08:39 AM
I bought one pack (2) of Phillips vision plus. How many bulbs should I buy? You can tell I''m not used to doing my own car stuff!!:I Normally I just tell Munro and lo and behold its fixed. Since he is in Sachilin Island just now this is not easy to achieve.:( But I'm enjoying the challenge (though my two eldest say THEY are enjoying the challenge:I)
:D:D:D:D

X30YES
28th August 2004, 04:59 PM
Two Main and Two dip beam

X30YES
28th August 2004, 05:02 PM

I bought one pack (2) of Phillips vision plus. How many bulbs should I buy? You can tell I''m not used to doing my own car stuff!!:I Normally I just tell Munro and lo and behold its fixed. Since he is in Sachilin Island just now this is not easy to achieve.:( But I'm enjoying the challenge (though my two eldest say THEY are enjoying the challenge:I)
We are all enjoying the Challenge Sheilz :D:D:D

Sheilz
28th August 2004, 05:33 PM
Have acknowledged my limitations and got the car booked into checkpoint this afternoon for the lights to be done.:I

X30YES
28th August 2004, 05:50 PM
Think if you bring them with you tomorrow they could be done for you FREE only takes ten mins

MartinSullivan
28th August 2004, 06:59 PM
Yeah, as Angus says just bring the bulbs to the run tomorrow - its dead easy to change them out

Sheilz
28th August 2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys. Checkpoint were going to charge £35! Still cheaper than JC

Sheilz
29th August 2004, 06:25 AM
Went to get another two bulbs at checkpoint. While I was pricing new wheels they put them in for free. They're marketing manager has a cooper for his company car. The owner is a mini fan!

sleepyrascal
14th October 2004, 04:05 AM
Had my car in to JC's. One head lamp was replaced for free. RESULT!

Sheilz
14th October 2004, 05:29 AM

Had my car in to JC's. One head lamp was replaced for free. RESULT!

Why just one? Was there something wrong with it other than not being bright enough?

sleepyrascal
14th October 2004, 09:20 AM
Apparently it was the tilt mech on one of the lamps that was bust! Thats why it appeared dull when driving. I have been asked to take the car back now as the airbags have developed a fault with will noe take 2 hours to fix according to JC.

red_cooper
10th November 2004, 07:54 PM
so far i cant complain bout the lights other than when the car gets dirty!!

then they become pish!!!

using polish on the lens tho helps to keep kak off them

toyin with the idea of four lamps for the front but not sure what jc's will say come service time when it goes in with these put on as 4 isnt bm approved!

The Dogfather
10th November 2004, 08:31 PM
The real limitations on dip beam is not caused by bad design but by the legislation. There's a limit to how far your lights can shine on dip, on main beam anything goes within the limits of bulb wattage. Or so I was told.

I've got Osrams and they're fine on main but have made limited difference to dipped.

Sheilz
10th November 2004, 08:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by red_cooper

so far i cant complain bout the lights other than when the car gets dirty!!

then they become pish!!!

using polish on the lens tho helps to keep kak off them

toyin with the idea of four lamps for the front but not sure what jc's will say come service time when it goes in with these put on as 4 isnt bm approved!
JC is putting another two driving lamps on my car tomorrow. They didnt appear to have a problem with that at all. Seems to be a lack of consistency.

Edit:- Moved reply to outside quote

X30YES
11th November 2004, 05:49 AM
Xenon's seem to be better ,lots better ....BUT !! I now notice that when the lts have been switched off they mist up ...condensation - my spots do the same ..is it the colder weather ??

Mini Me
11th November 2004, 06:30 AM
you can fit 4 lamps nae probs,BMW just don't recomend it(something to do with the weight when you close the bonnet).You can now also dealer fit xenons,aint that expensive and the difference is night and day(ols ones are the best)

sleepyrascal
11th November 2004, 06:35 AM
how much are dealer fitted xenons then minime?

Sheilz
11th November 2004, 06:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

you can fit 4 lamps nae probs,BMW just don't recomend it(something to do with the weight when you close the bonnet).You can now also dealer fit xenons,aint that expensive and the difference is night and day(ols ones are the best)

I thought it was expensive. I'm sure I was quoted about £900+ when I enquired about having them retro-fitted. I do a lot of night driving and find the ordinary headlights, even with extra bright bulbs quite poor. In some ways its worse with the spots coz when the lights have to be dipped its almost like being plunged into darkness!

Big Col
11th November 2004, 06:40 AM
What old one's are the best? You saying my new ones suck??? :(

Mini Me
11th November 2004, 08:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
What old one's are the best? You saying my new ones suck??? :(
when i said the difference was night and day....doh:p

Mini Me
11th November 2004, 08:09 AM

how much are dealer fitted xenons then minime?
get back to you in the morning:)

sleepyrascal
11th November 2004, 08:24 AM
cool cool minime

Gismo
11th November 2004, 08:25 AM
I have the xenons and i'm afraid to say the dipped headlights are absolute rubbish, even with brighter bulbs :disapprove:

Sheilz
11th November 2004, 07:02 PM
Eck's away to the 'optician's' today afterwhich he will be called specy4eyes!:D:D.

Big Col
11th November 2004, 07:46 PM
I think she means she's getting headlights X30. ;)

Sheilz
11th November 2004, 08:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I think she means she's getting headlights X30. ;)

Just another couple of spots. :D:D

The Dogfather
11th November 2004, 08:06 PM
Big Col's got plenty of them!

Mini Me
11th November 2004, 09:14 PM
The face lift xenons are £630 inc vat for the kit(less the nms 5% discount)and take 30mins to fit,so doesn't look like the hardest jobin the world.

Sheilz
11th November 2004, 09:21 PM

The face lift xenons are £630 inc vat for the kit(less the nms 5% discount)and take 30mins to fit,so doesn't look like the hardest jobin the world.

That doesn't sound too bad at all considering JC's price for fitting 2 spots is £350 though Raymond is going to try and cut the price for me. What would Menzies have charged? Has anyone seen spots fitted as 2x2 as opposed to 4x1? I've just had Raymond on the phone checking thsi out with me.

Scottie
11th November 2004, 10:26 PM

Iain,

I think you need to speak to the service department of my local BMW dealer.

My blue mini is in today getting a few wee things done and one of them is getting the new style head lights retro fitted.

I purchased these lights from a independent source and now BMW say there might be a problem fitting them as there is a few small changes.

I will not find out until tonight whether they managed or not.

Mini Me
11th November 2004, 10:49 PM
it depends what you are fitting, as the xenon kit,replaces old xenons,not halogen as they have seperate water bottlres etc, but i have seen the instructions ,and if its xenon to xenon,it's easy enough.
If you want to fit new xenons to old halogen ,it can be done ,but more work required.
Sorry ,i should have had all the facts before putting my foot in it.

Scottie
11th November 2004, 11:23 PM

it depends what you are fitting, as the xenon kit,replaces old xenons,not halogen as they have seperate water bottlres etc, but i have seen the instructions ,and if its xenon to xenon,it's easy enough.
If you want to fit new xenons to old halogen ,it can be done ,but more work required.

Iain,

Mines is xenon to xenon. I'll let you know if they mange to fit them if not I will bring the car down to Menzies.

X30YES
11th November 2004, 11:48 PM

That doesn't sound too bad at all considering JC's price for fitting 2 spots is £350 though Raymond is going to try and cut the price for me. What would Menzies have charged? Has anyone seen spots fitted as 2x2 as opposed to 4x1? I've just had Raymond on the phone checking thsi out with me.
2x2 would be a great idea and did think about that also ,with two down on the lower grill under the number plate (front bumper will need to be removed to fit the lamp brackets )but two under the top two would not work ,and not possible to fit upside down !!!! as the cable for the lamps go in through the fixing bolt and nut and would let water in I think!!!!

Scottie
12th November 2004, 12:24 AM

Lights are now fitted.:cool:

The Dogfather
12th November 2004, 01:01 AM
Iain - Can you find out how much for Halogens to Xenons please!

Mini Me
12th November 2004, 01:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Iain - Can you find out how much for Halogens to Xenons please!
on the case BD.:)

Sheilz
12th November 2004, 03:00 AM
Just got Eck back from JC. Their service dept just got the letter (published on their sales webpages rather than on the services pages where it should have been!) that they can no longer fit 4 spots to minis for the reasons already mentioned. Eck being their last customer for this.
Persuaded Raymond to give me discount - got £58 off - because I'd been charged £42 to fit two screws after my stereo was fitted - JC blamed the chap who'd done the job for losing them when the screws had not been there in the first place. Since the chap who did it didnt want to risk losing trade from JC he said he'd accept responsibility and refunded me JC's charges. Ooops! I forgot to tell Raymond that bit!!!!
:I;):D:D:p

redpoint rallying
13th November 2004, 11:47 AM
Got xenons...........they are great! I am also having a pair of decent quality aluminium spotlamp brackets made up and will be fitting a pair of larger, non BMW spots.
cheers!