PDA

View Full Version : reduced pulley sizes

jonnie
20th January 2014, 05:13 PM
Hi all how are we? Thinking of changing the supercharger pulley but i dont really understand the sizes(excuse my ignorance). Can anyone give me some advice. thanks in advance.

stoney
20th January 2014, 06:10 PM
The bigger the % the smaller the pulley and the faster the charger spins the more boost it gives out ;)
I take it your on a standard S ?
If so I would go 15% or 17%but I would also look at changing the intercooler at the same time as it will make your eng work harder and get hotter if you go 17% you will defo need to upgrade the I/C you should be ok with the 15%

What other mods have you done ?

Mon the fish
20th January 2014, 09:39 PM
What do you want out of the car? What are you going to use it for?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

jonnie
20th January 2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. Yep standard s with new air filter and exhaust. Just looking for a bit more oomph. Car is used everyday so dont want to go too extreme just a little something extra.

noise is worth bhp

jonnie
20th January 2014, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the advice. Yep standard s with new air filter and exhaust. Just looking for a bit more oomph. Car is used everyday so dont want to go too extreme just a little something extra.

noise is worth bhp

Intercooler is on the list but gonna have to wait

noise is worth bhp

stoney
20th January 2014, 10:03 PM
I would say a 15% then speak to Rich at orranje performance he will sort you out with pully spark plugs and belt
You should change all 3 at same time !!

Mon the fish
21st January 2014, 10:41 AM
If you don't redline it and just want midrange, go 17%, with intercooler or meth. What mileage is on the charger?

jonnie
21st January 2014, 02:26 PM
Car says 65 and as far as i know the sc is original

noise is worth bhp

Sideways Steve
21st January 2014, 05:05 PM
I'm running the 17% pulley on a stock cooler with no temperature issues and there are others running that same setup even on track. The stock cooler does actually work quite well believe it or not and I've not noticed much of an increase in my inlet temps since fitting the pulley either.

There will be people who do not agree with running a 17% pulley in a standard cooler and they are entitled to their own opinions which I am not disagreeing with but I can tell you from monitoring my own temps with my style of driving that it's not a problem. I do however have other modifications such as a custom made cai, full exhaust, remap, lightweight crank pulley, solid lightweight flywheel and a full remap. These other mods (mainly the lightweight pulley and flywheel) also help reduce engine load so that will no doubt be reflected in the temps I see.

Also worth mentioning I run cooler plugs which are actually from a Porsche 911 carrera S, again these help with combustion temps and prevent det.

EcosseGP
21st January 2014, 05:36 PM
I'll hopefully be fitting a reduced pulley on the S sooner rather than later all going well and pennies permitting but I'm not planning on changing the Intercooler to start with either unless there's a significant temp increase. I think for the occasional track use and day to day running the original one should be able to cope to start with.

stoney
21st January 2014, 06:55 PM
Yes they do cope just it's recommended to upgrade the i/c to a better one the airtec is taking a good name for the R53 and not to much ££

Mon the fish
21st January 2014, 08:40 PM
Airtec is very good. 17% will be fine on the road with the stock cooler as long as you monitor the temps. On the track, you'll be backing off all the time.

I was temp clipping on the Ring with GRS and 11%

Sideways Steve
22nd January 2014, 01:42 AM
Anyone had any experience with the ddm works diverter plate that replaces the stock plastic one on the cooler ? I hear it's meant to make a fair difference as it scoops the air in better.

jonnie
15th February 2014, 04:09 PM
Ive seen a pack on the lohen website that includes leads and coil pack as well as the pulley, belt and plugs. Only thing is, the coil pack and leads are red and ive just bought some silicone hoses in blue. Does anyone know if its possible to get them in blue?http://www.lohen.co.uk/shop/products.php?cat=6

Mon the fish
15th February 2014, 06:12 PM
Only seen magnecor leads in red, but you don't need them. People have ran over 400bhp on stock leads with no issues.

Same with coil pack, stock is fine

jonnie
15th February 2014, 06:24 PM
Ok cool. Soon as the compo cheque arrives pulley is being done.

minibob
15th February 2014, 06:28 PM
Hi jonnie not sure on your car's spec but bang for buck I would go for the Orranje intake and get the pulley for £210 delivered.
http://orranje.co.uk/shop-by-car/bmw-mini/mini-generation-1/orranje-stealth-cold-air-intake-kit-for-1st-gen-mini-cooper-s
I think you will get a better combination with that rather than the pulley and msd. Iv got the msd but not sure if it's any better than the standard coil and iv heard alot of bad reviews on it iv not had any hassle with it so far. My engine bay is all red so fits in with mine :thumbs up: as far as I know it's only available in red

jonnie
15th February 2014, 06:44 PM
Already have a ramair cone so just going with the pulley from orranje. Man city fan so not keen on red:moonie: Cheers for all the advice everyone:thumbs up:

jonnie
1st March 2014, 07:52 PM
Just ordered 15%pulley, belt and plugs from 1320.:whoohoo::excited:

badwolf340
1st March 2014, 08:50 PM
Just ordered 15%pulley, belt and plugs from 1320.:whoohoo::excited:

great news ,keep us up to date on how you get on :yes nod:

jonnie
5th March 2014, 05:43 PM
Yay4959

jonnie
8th March 2014, 08:04 PM
Fitting on Monday.

jdl_1967
8th March 2014, 11:23 PM
Make sure your cooling system is up to scratch too as your engine will run considerably hotter.

My car (standard R53 JCW) had the usual slight leaks from the thermostat and expansion bottle and a radiator fan that only worked on full speed (i.e fan only came on at 112 rather than 106 degrees C). Temp gauge never showed more than normal. Prior to getting to the bottom of all the leaks I managed to suffer from a cracked head. Just being replaced now.

In all probability caused by the engine overheating, albeit not to the point that I noticed the gauge showing this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mon the fish
9th March 2014, 10:04 AM
^^ This is true. What you need is something showing accurate coolant temp and IATs

jonnie
10th March 2014, 06:54 PM
Hi all.So the garage havent changed the pulley because they say they need the car for two days and will take the charger off to remove the pulley. Im no mechanic so is this right? Also does anyone know where i can beg borrow or steal a removal tool by next monday?

Sideways Steve
14th March 2014, 05:05 PM
The charger does not need to be removed. The pulley removal tool however is a must and even with that it can be tight !

I done mine without the tool and would never attempt it again. Buy the tool and you can always sell it on when your done with it to re coup some money :)

jonnie
21st March 2014, 06:16 PM
Finally done.:clap::yes:

stoney
21st March 2014, 06:53 PM
Finally done.:clap::yes:

so how dose it feel ?

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_212 using Tapatalk

jonnie
21st March 2014, 06:59 PM
so how dose it feel ?

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_212 using Tapatalk

Honestly the traffic was rubbish on the way home so going to get up early for a blast tomorrow.

noise is worth bhp

Craig
21st March 2014, 07:14 PM
Did you get a pulley removal tool ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig
21st March 2014, 07:15 PM
Be interested to hear your thoughts on the change :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnie
22nd March 2014, 10:57 AM
Quick run this morning reveals the car just feels.... better. Not a massive change, it just feels faster in every gear, especially noticeable overtaking on quick A roads. Sounds better too. Sorry this isnt very helpful but it just feels better, more like the car should be. Have to recommend. thanks to all who helped me with advice and suggestions. Quick mention to 1320mini for the emergency brake hose sent to the garage in Carlisle, thanks guys. Right, what next, intercooler or tuning?

stoney
22nd March 2014, 05:00 PM
Good stuff Jonnie

I would go intercooler next airtec one is very good and available from are newest NMS sponsor Orranje 😏

Sideways Steve
23rd March 2014, 09:42 PM
Jonnie, you should also reset your ECU to make the most of the new pulley as it will re learn now that you have extra boost. It will eventually re learn itself of course but resetting it first helps speed up the process :)

Just disconnect your battery and hit the brake pedal a few times to ensure it drains any residual voltage from the cars electrics then reconnect and off you go :)

Its also worth opening up your air box a bit if your still on the stock one ? If you are, take the top off and cut a larger hole in the back end of the lower part of it (towards the bulkhead) also remove the scuttle trim panel and cut a matching hole in that. Cold air will then be drawn in around the windscreen area as its a low pressure area when the car is moving.

You can follow the steps in this link which also shows photos of the modifications I am talking about - http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MINI/14-ENGINE-Installing_a_Performance_Intake_System/14-ENGINE-Installing_a_Performance_Intake_System.htm

Mon the fish
23rd March 2014, 10:21 PM
Intake, intercooler, then cam and tune last. The cam and tune make a huge difference to the drivability of the car, a nice flat torque curve to over 7k

Sideways Steve
24th March 2014, 12:09 AM
Here's a question? Does the cooper s jcw have a different cam from the normal cooper s ?

jdl_1967
24th March 2014, 12:30 AM
Same as standard R53 I'm afraid

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sideways Steve
24th March 2014, 09:15 AM
Thought that, spotted one on eBay and the way the advert was written kinda implied it was an upgrade part lol