PDA

View Full Version : Car starts but... cuts out almost instantly

TroyBruce
16th January 2014, 09:33 PM
Hi,

My car is a 2008 Mini one.

Tonight when starting the car it cut out, after several more attempts it done the same.

It starts as normal, the needles goes to just bellow 1000 revs and then after 2 seconds or so it completely cuts out. Ive tried starting it and then giving it some revs but the engine just makes a really loud noise.

Any idea what this it and how to fix?

Eddie_JCW
16th January 2014, 10:43 PM
I don't know much about MINI's, but it sounds like it's possibly the MAF sensor, going on previous experiences with other cars.

Soon guys with more experience of MINIs will be along to give more suggestions :) hope it's not serious.

Craig
16th January 2014, 10:52 PM
The times I've had this problem before are down to the engine drawing air and not fuel. Not had it in a MINI tho... What is the noise like ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TroyBruce
17th January 2014, 12:06 AM
Its just like a loud pur. Getting no warning lights or anything coming up.

Going to have to try get someone to come look at it tomorrow. Hopefully nothing major.

Eddie_JCW
17th January 2014, 12:16 AM
Definitely sounds like it could be the MAF could be a simple fix ;) I've seen these being cleaned using carb cleaner but not too sure if MINIs have issues with these.

TroyBruce
18th January 2014, 01:42 PM
Tried the spare key and it doesnt make a difference! Not looking good.

EcosseGP
18th January 2014, 06:11 PM
From the information that you've provided I'd suggest that it's not a MAF sensor issue as the car would run with a faulty MAF sensor. If you wanted to spray carb cleaner across the sensor it'll not do it any harm .. I would suggest that it could be a fuel issue does it restart straight away when you turn it over and run or cut out again ..

Craig
18th January 2014, 06:22 PM
Yeah I had the exact same issue when I had a hole in my fuel tank. It was drawing air rather than fuel. Would start ok but as soon as you attempted to rev the car, it would cut out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianking
20th January 2014, 02:06 PM
It could be the thermostat sensor. They are quite common on the R56 engines for failing.
The faulty sensor makes the car think its hot when its not so as a result it cant start very well from cold as its not mixing the air/fuel correctly.
Its not an expnesive fix if it is this. The coolant needs drained out though to replace it.

Car will need plugged in to the computer to see if it is that.

Sideways Steve
20th January 2014, 05:24 PM
Check the ecu earth connection, on the r53 it's in front of the ecu/fuse box bolted to a stud on the body just beside the wheel arch. Not sure if it's in the same spot on the r55/r56 cars but it will be a small thin single wire connected to the body of the car. If it's loose or corroded it will give you the symptoms you describe.

Typically a maf won't cause the car to cut out completely but if you unplug it the car should run and not cut out if it's that which is faulty.

Again a coolant temp sensor won't usually cause the car to cut out out it would just run rich.

Also can you describe the "loud noise" you say it makes ?

Also when it cuts out do all your gauges go crazy or is it just like when you switch off the ignition normally ?