PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous question to ask

euan
11th May 2003, 08:37 PM
Ok, this is a dangerous area for me...It could end up costing a lot of money...

I've had my Mini for a while now (Jan 02) and I still love it to bits. But like a lot of Cooper owners it does feel a bit underpowered. So the question is...To modify it or not?

If I was to modify it, I would not have a clue where to start. I've never modified any of my previous cars (was going to on my old Golf GTi but the thing was good as it was).

The alternatives? A Cooper S with the same spec as mine, or the Works kit on my car. I don't think the works kit is good value for money, however is does not mean any issues with warrenty etc.

So, a few questions. There seem to be a lot of modified Minis about on here, so whats the deal? I'm looking at more power, don't want to ruin the warrenty and I don't own a garage to tinker with it. What happens with warrenty, insurance etc.

GAJ
11th May 2003, 11:10 PM
The Superchip is one option. It will void your warranty though but only if you tell them. It is undectable! Cost is just under £300 for 131 BHP. Another option is Induction Kit and exhaust. Loads on the market now for the Cooper

lightbody
12th May 2003, 02:36 AM
My induction kit transformed the car. It sounds tons better and goes a bit better. Together with a new exhaust, I think you'd be much happier!

If you can afford an So though...

Monsta Mo Mini
12th May 2003, 03:59 AM
The induction kit is certainly a cheaper option to start with. It gives the car more ooomph and sounds great too. That combined with an exhaust should keep you happy for now. Also bear in mind that as the car gets run-in it gets speedier.:D:D

What's your milage?

KenL
12th May 2003, 05:45 AM
Go for the S Euan - you know it makes sense ;)

Not sure that the Superchip would be worth it as it only gives 8bhp extra on a Cooper.

Do induction kits really make cars faster or just sound more boy-racerish ?

GAJ
12th May 2003, 05:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

Do induction kits really make cars faster or just sound more boy-racerish ?

A little bit faster as well as sounding a lot more boy-racerish! :D Only when you want it to though, drive normally and you would be hard pressed to hear the difference but floor it and they roar like banshees! :p Thay do make the car a bit faster as the engine is able to breathe more freely than it can with the restrictive OEM filter.

euan
12th May 2003, 11:51 PM
What happens with the induction kit in terms of warrenty? Does it screw it as well? What sort of costs are we talking about?

GAJ
13th May 2003, 12:20 AM
It seems that the true position regarding the warranty is that any faults or failures caused by non-standard parts will not be covered. Other than that the warranty stands. It is unlikely that something as simple as fitting an induction kit will lead to any problems. Price wise - they are around the £100 mark