PDA

View Full Version : Whooshing Noise Under Acceleration

GERFIX
4th January 2014, 08:14 PM
Evening all.

My R56 MCS has just developed a whooshing sound under acceleration. It seems to be when the turbo spools up around 2000-2500rpm. It sounds like air is being sucked/blown from somewhere and appears to be coming from the back end of the engine bay. However, I can't say for sure as it only happens whilst under load, not just sitting revving the engine.

I'm going to try to have a look tomorrow when it's light but any thoughts what I should be looking for? Split intercooler hose maybe?

Craig
4th January 2014, 10:12 PM
When your in the car is it coming from the passenger side of the car? Does it sound a bit like rushing water ?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

GERFIX
4th January 2014, 11:28 PM
I suppose you could say it does sound like rushing water.........although the missus said it sounds like a poly bag blowing in the wind. Really not sure if there's a particular side it's coming from, it just sounds like the bulkhead side of the engine bay.

GERFIX
5th January 2014, 10:13 AM
Had a look this morning and found the problem - the hose coming off the sound generator (?) below the airbox had popped off. Looks like I might not have tightened the hose clip properly when I was changing my timing belt tensioner.......:cursing:

Craig
5th January 2014, 11:29 AM
Easy fix :). Good news !

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

GERFIX
5th January 2014, 12:03 PM
Seems to be the story of my life so far with the Mini. Long may it stay that way!!:smilewinkgrin: