PDA

View Full Version : Tablet Wars

Gismo
19th December 2013, 09:19 AM
So, i've had an eReader for ages, settled on the 1st ever Nook and am now in the Nook HD+.
I've always needed to carry a laptop with me to work so that i can work on Word, Excel and use Outlook for my e-mails, so, a tablet doesn't need to be able to edit documents etc besides, i'll always have the use of a company PC.

I'm now in a dilemma, i'm hankering for the new iPad Air, it can do everything my Nook can do and i can even install an App to read my Nook books.
I've started to play some games on the Nook and am actually enjoying it so i'm thinking that the iPad Air may be a wise choice.

So, over to you tablet geeks, is the iPad (Air) that much better i've simply gotta have it?

I've never had an iPad cause i couldn't justify the cost versus a laptop, but, i'm thinking the convenience of one will be hard to resist now

And for any current iPad owners, do you have the cellular package with it? is it a must have or a nice thing to have.
I have the iPhone 5 already and could just continue to use that and also could connect the iPad via the iPhone hotspot

Comments / advice greatly appreciated

Big Col
19th December 2013, 11:46 AM
Not tried a Nook but love my iPad and use it constantly, although I don't read on it as I prefer eink displays for reading on.

Re the cellular package I have it and have lierally never once used it as the only places I use the ipad (home, work, away in hotel, in a coffee shop etc) always have wifi these days and I have BT fon.

Hope that helps min.

zimbo
19th December 2013, 12:08 PM
Need to speak to the Apple geek on here Alan i.e Baz as he will know everything you need to know about the Air :thumbs up:

Gismo
19th December 2013, 12:17 PM
Not tried a Nook but love my iPad and use it constantly, although I don't read on it as I prefer eink displays for reading on.

Re the cellular package I have it and have lierally never once used it as the only places I use the ipad (home, work, away in hotel, in a coffee shop etc) always have wifi these days and I have BT fon.

Hope that helps min.A Nook is a glorified eReader with HD screen and access to Apps, plays video and music etc, but, the Apps are limited in comparison to full Droid and Apple machinery, it is expandable though :cool: whereas the iPad is not and you gotta pay a hefty price for the 128GB version and then hope you got enough space, i kinda guessed the cellular may be a nice to have, cheers Big Yin :thumbs up:

Need to speak to the Apple geek on here Alan i.e Baz as he will know everything you need to know about the Air :thumbs up:Am patiently waiting for our Baz to come along :Whistle: albeit he knows the Air inside and out, i'm looking for a comparison to decide between the 2, may just have to make a purchase in Amsterdam this time home if i can get it cheap enough :cool:

Consider that i'll have easily 50GB of tv shows / movies etc on it at any time, enough for a month away at a time, am i likely to run out of room?

The 128GB is $865 in my local shop in the USA

Craig
19th December 2013, 02:01 PM
My money would go on a Nexus 10. You can hold you films etc on an external drive. 32gb version if the nexus is only £264 at the moment ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

MINI William
19th December 2013, 02:15 PM
I was like you Alan having an Iphone and a laptop I never seen the need for an Ipad. But now that I have one I love it, being able to watch movies/tv shows when waiting around is great along with the vast amount of apps available. I never got a celluar Ipad as the only place I use it is at home or out and about and most places now have WiFi, so I have never felt that I should have got cellualr.

Gismo
19th December 2013, 03:28 PM
My money would go on a Nexus 10. You can hold you films etc on an external drive. 32gb version if the nexus is only £264 at the moment ;)
I was a firm hater of the iPad cause you couldn't simply add hard drive space, but, that Nexus you mention adding an external hard drive, so, that's another piece of kit to lug around, catch 22........

I was like you Alan having an Iphone and a laptop I never seen the need for an Ipad. But now that I have one I love it, being able to watch movies/tv shows when waiting around is great along with the vast amount of apps available. I never got a celluar Ipad as the only place I use it is at home or out and about and most places now have WiFi, so I have never felt that I should have got cellualr.Cool, so, i think i've ruled out cellular now, no way the 32GB would suit me, i'd always wished i got the 128GB, so, we'll see.......

Scottie
19th December 2013, 07:12 PM
I'm hoping Santa will leave me a Tab 3 when he visits

Sent from my HTC Desire 500 using Tapatalk

stoney
19th December 2013, 07:25 PM
Now you see I have the data on mine and would not be with out it tbh but I am out on the road a lot

we have just got Christine a iPad mini for her birthday/Christmas and just got a wifi only one as that's where she will use it really

EcosseGP
19th December 2013, 09:37 PM
Another iPad user here too .. Good for size, reliability and does what I need it to do. Be good to do some other stuff on it but hey can't have everything. ;)

At 8000rpm no-one hears you scream !

jdl_1967
21st December 2013, 10:40 AM
I love my iPad, everything just works well and is perfectly integrated. I do however think they lose out on Android based tablets if you are of the fiddling persuasion as everything is locked down so much. If you've already got an iPhone, the ability to integrate the two is brilliant, contacts, photos, calendars etc etc

Merry Christmas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gismo
21st December 2013, 11:02 AM
Cheers folks, decision made, iPad it is then :thumbs up:

EcosseGP
21st December 2013, 12:35 PM
I don't know what apple don't have a way of expanding the memory (ie memory card) rather than it being fixed I think this would win buyers alone ..

Gismo
21st December 2013, 12:45 PM
I don't know what apple don't have a way of expanding the memory (ie memory card) rather than it being fixed I think this would win buyers alone ..
I wouldn't have even asked the question if the iPad had expandable memory :thumbs up: knowing my luck the next model will have it :Whistle:

stoney
21st December 2013, 06:01 PM
You can get a mem card reader for the iPad

simonfr
21st December 2013, 11:46 PM
You can get a mem card reader for the iPad

Only good for photos unfortunately.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd December 2013, 01:16 AM
Alan I've got the original iPad. It was cutting edge at the time but it's sluggish as hell and a bit of a brick by modern tablet standards. However, I still love it so I've asked Santa for an iPad Air for Christmas.

I don't think Apple will ever give you the opportunity to expand the memory because no one would ever buy the (much more expensive) higher capacity models. So, I think you're stuck with whatever size you buy.

As for Cellular... Mine is cellular and I've asked Santa to get the cellular version of the Air too. In the UK it's a £100 more, but I like having the convenience of cellular access anywhere I want it. One of my uses for the iPad is for watching tennis while I'm on holiday - we often go to holiday cottages in the UK and they sometimes don't have wi fi - so with cellular coverage, I can still get my tennis fix. :thumbs up:

Gismo
22nd December 2013, 05:35 AM
Alan I've got the original iPad. It was cutting edge at the time but it's sluggish as hell and a bit of a brick by modern tablet standards. However, I still love it so I've asked Santa for an iPad Air for Christmas.

I don't think Apple will ever give you the opportunity to expand the memory because no one would ever buy the (much more expensive) higher capacity models. So, I think you're stuck with whatever size you buy.

As for Cellular... Mine is cellular and I've asked Santa to get the cellular version of the Air too. In the UK it's a £100 more, but I like having the convenience of cellular access anywhere I want it. One of my uses for the iPad is for watching tennis while I'm on holiday - we often go to holiday cottages in the UK and they sometimes don't have wi fi - so with cellular coverage, I can still get my tennis fix. :thumbs up:Good tips Andy, with the cellular, i take it you get a new telephone number? or can you use you're existing one?

EcosseGP
22nd December 2013, 09:43 AM
I've got cellular on mine too and I've used it a few times if I'm away and there's no wifi. It's just like having an additional line so to speak but it uses the same number.

Gismo
22nd December 2013, 10:12 AM
I've got cellular on mine too and I've used it a few times if I'm away and there's no wifi. It's just like having an additional line so to speak but it uses the same numberSo, dumb question, do you just turn the cellular off on one device to stop both ringing, or just leave them both on, i'd have them both with me all the time when travelling at least?

EcosseGP
22nd December 2013, 10:15 AM
Your ipad won't ring it'll just accept texts or iMessages sent from other "I users" .. I just leave it on it doesn't cost you any more only if you're abroad it's worthwhile switching it off as you can get hit with roaming charges from the different network suppliers.

Gismo
22nd December 2013, 10:29 AM
Your ipad won't ring it'll just accept texts or iMessages sent from other "I users" .. I just leave it on it doesn't cost you any more only if you're abroad it's worthwhile switching it off as you can get hit with roaming charges from the different network suppliersPerfect, i'm liking the idea of the cellular model now :lol:

AndyP & Lenore
22nd December 2013, 11:25 AM
Not sure what the process will be for you in the US, but when I got my iPad I just called my mobile service provider and asked them for a data sim. They sent it free of charge and I just pay as I go for whatever data I use; it's just added to my regular bill as a different mobile number and just has data charges on it.

I leave data switched off on it unless there is no wifi available to avoid generating unnecessary data charges. :thumbs up:

Gismo
22nd December 2013, 12:27 PM
Not sure what the process will be for you in the US, but when I got my iPad I just called my mobile service provider and asked them for a data sim. They sent it free of charge and I just pay as I go for whatever data I use; it's just added to my regular bill as a different mobile number and just has data charges on it.

I leave data switched off on it unless there is no wifi available to avoid generating unnecessary data charges. :thumbs up:I have an unlimited talk / text with 4GB data shared on 2 devices, namely, me and her indoors.
So, for me, this would just be added to the plan and we would pay extra for going over 4GB, never been over 1GB yet.
Since i travel a lot i already disable the cellular on my iPhone when leaving the USA and use Wi-Fi only.

I'm trialling different e-readers on my iPhone to see which one would work best.

I've got a free e-book in epub format which i'm messing around with, so far, iBooks is the best available, i cant get the book into the Nook App

Neil - TXJ
22nd December 2013, 12:28 PM
I don't have cellular but can teather to my mobile if I need to.

Angib
22nd December 2013, 01:05 PM
I'm an old fart just about to add an iPad to my all-Windows computing but, even accepting that Apple products are usually a lot more expensive for something a lot better, the price of Apple memory and the absence of expansion possibility really puts me off - knowing in advance that I will be screwed does not endear me to Apple.

Which? magazine (compulsory reading for us old farts, along with 'Pipe and Slippers Monthly') pointed out recently that Apple charge £80 retail in the UK to increase an iPad Air from 16Mb to 32Mb and it costs them just under £6 at wholesale prices to do that. Now a mark-up I understand and accept but 13 times the cost isn't a mark-up is it?

Buying an Apple product does seem to require a firm swallow first to avoid retching - they are a bit like wilder fringes of the cosmetic industry, in that 'pretty' and 'please fleece me' seem to mean the same thing.

Gismo
22nd December 2013, 01:15 PM
I don't have cellular but can teather to my mobile if I need to.Yep, i've considered that option too.

And in trying to get books onto my iPhone, which will be the same as my iPad, i've run up against the old iTunes and only one device can hold the library routine.
However, i can download my purchased Nook books from the cloud into the Nook App, but, for non DRM books you simply e-mail them to yourself, open the e-mail on the device, press and hold the book and select open in iBook, Nook or whatever App you like, so, i guess new books will be purchased from iTunes........as usual, more expensive

Gismo
28th December 2013, 05:30 AM
Decision made, 2 x iPad Air 128GB Wi-Fi's machines purchased, merry x-mas from/to me/her indoors :cool:

Mini Ecosse
28th December 2013, 10:47 AM
Decision made, 2 x iPad Air 128GB Wi-Fi's machines purchased, merry x-mas from/to me/her indoors :cool:

Phew thank goodness. My head is buzzing with all this techie talk :D:D;):thumbs up: