PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket - Cost / Garage Suggestions

jdl_1967
8th October 2013, 12:49 PM
After replacing my expansion bottle, thermostat and housing plus the heat exchanger, all of which were leaking on my R53, I'm still losing water and getting gunk on my dipstick and filler cap.

Although I don't have signs is oil in my water, I can now only assume HG failure, cracked head or cracked block.

I've searched on the forum for similar issues and it seems rare to non existent.

Has anyone else suffered HG failure and if so, how much was the repair in labour and if anyone has any recommendations for a decent garage near Stirling, it would be much appreciated. I'm still considering tackling this myself, but I'd quite like to be able to use the car after rather than have a pile of non functioning bits on my garage floor.

Thanks

John

Mon the fish
8th October 2013, 01:05 PM
Have you spoke to 1320?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

jdl_1967
8th October 2013, 01:14 PM
No, I know they're very well thought of, but too far away.

Although still technically drivable, it's off the road now in case the leaking water trashes the oil which in turn doesn't lubricate as it should.

Craig
8th October 2013, 01:20 PM
John I'll text you a couple of options :)

Mon the fish
8th October 2013, 02:54 PM
Not to take to them, but give them a call as they've seen it all with regards to Minis and will help with advice where they can.

I have heard of a head cracking due to age and fatigue, and gaskets have been known to go if running too lean - normally as a result of bluefin or superchips

jdl_1967
8th October 2013, 04:40 PM
Not to take to them, but give them a call as they've seen it all with regards to Minis and will help with advice where they can.

I have heard of a head cracking due to age and fatigue, and gaskets have been known to go if running too lean - normally as a result of bluefin or superchips

Doh! Sorry

Cheers

John

EcosseGP
10th October 2013, 09:09 PM
John I'll text you .. You know where I'd take it ;)

At 8000rpm no-one hears you scream !

jdl_1967
28th October 2013, 09:06 PM
Just a wee update......

Got the car fully tested today for head gasket failure and coolant system faults. All was absolutely fine, no head gasket or coolant leaks when the system was pressurised, but when run with the expansion bottle cap on they noticed the brand new cap wasn't holding pressure.

Now originally my expansion cap failed and caused the cooling system to spew it contents all over the engine.

This was changed along with the expansion bottle, thermostat, thermostat housing and thermostat gasket. However, I was still losing fluid.

Assuming that everything I had changed with OEM parts were okay, I assumed I was losing fluid internally as I could find no more external leaks. This was not the case, my brand new expansion bottle cap was faulty. I'm assuming this was causing coolant loss through evaporation like a kettle boiling!

So, if you're having water loss issues you can't fathom (no pun intended), check the expansion bottle cap and don't assume just because it's new it's working correctly.

The emulsion appears to be clearing up on its own and might have been caused by old contaminated oil left in the engine after the oil change?

Craig
28th October 2013, 10:21 PM
glad you have got it sorted finally John - now time to mod it and enjoy ! ;)

Mon the fish
28th October 2013, 10:27 PM
Any slight bubbles in the coolant (Minis are hard to fully bleed) comes straight out the expansion tank cap

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

jdl_1967
28th October 2013, 10:53 PM
glad you have got it sorted finally John - now time to mod it and enjoy ! ;)

Yep, I can afford my 15" wheels now ;-)

stoney
29th October 2013, 08:44 AM
Glad it's sorted

jdl_1967
29th October 2013, 09:06 AM
Glad it's sorted

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jdl_1967
4th November 2013, 10:25 PM
Oh dear, after being pressure tested to 1.2 bar and no leaks occurring, I'm still losing coolant!

Next plan - UV dye in coolant and then check for external leaks and also check condensation on oil filler cap with a UV torch.

EcosseGP
5th November 2013, 10:44 PM
No way John .. Get in touch with the lads at the garage again they'll be happy to help. I was talking them today too or I'd have said !!

jdl_1967
6th November 2013, 07:26 AM
No way John .. Get in touch with the lads at the garage again they'll be happy to help. I was talking them today too or I'd have said !!

I will do Davy, I was very happy with how they dealt with me and the car the other week.