PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool Run - Run Details Now Posted

The Dogfather
21st August 2004, 06:43 PM
More details on the Blackpool Run

So far the following people have confirmed their booking –

Julz + 1, Sheilz, Ewan aka Low n' Loud, Duncan Stewart, Weefossy and Mrs Weefossy, Nenah, Jai and G'day Lance.

The hotel is the Sleepwell Carousel (http://www.theaa.com/hotels/111303.html)- and there was rooms still available if any one else wishes to come along. A double room rate of £85.00 was agreed just mention the name Gaskell. Ring 01253 402642.

The Starting Point will be the Bothwell Services on the M74 @ 10am, I intend to leave at 10.15am so please don’t be late. If anyone is running late ring me on 07909 882663.

The route will stick to the Motorways (M74, M6, M55) all the way into Blackpool with a planned stop at Tebay Services, Malcolm you could meet us there if you wanted.

Once we leave the M55 we’ll take the A5230 to Squires Gate Retail Park, there’s a Halford’s, Mc Donald’s and a huge Morrison’s there to regroup and refuel. We can then book into the hotel and leave the cars and walk to the Pleasure Beach.

I’ve drawn up a short list of my pick of the rides (below) some are new and I haven’t tried them but everyone should have a go at the Pasaje del Terror especially as it’s Halloween, it’ll scare you witless.

The rides: -

Bling - BLING is a real diamond- knuckle experience for riders as they are lifted a whopping 100 feet above the ground and spun through the air on giant glittering gondolas in three different directions at speeds of 60mph as the ride pulls 2.5gs.

Spin Doctor - The £1 million Spin Doctor at Blackpool Pleasure Beach consists of two rotating ‘propellors’ which spin riders 360 degrees through the air to heights of 120 feet at speeds of over 60 mph.

Grand National – If reopened is a great wooden rollercoaster

Iron Bru Revolution – Rollercoaster with a 360 loop.

Big One – The biggest ride in the park.

Valhalla - For the 21st century the biggest and most spectacular water-borne dark ride in the world was designed and constructed at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Costing £15 million, Valhalla is a high speed thrilling ride with unique features, highly themed and incorporating a host of multi-sensory elements. Valhalla is the journey to the immortal resting place of Viking warriors souls combining elements of fire, water, snow and ice.

Wild Mouse - Not for the nervous! This hair raising ride deserves it's name. Down incredibly steep drops, up hills and whizzing round a seemingly endless array of bends. One of only three remaining traditional wooden Wild Mouse rides remaining in the world. Just like being a passenger in a MINI!!!!

__________________________________________________ ______________

After the funfair we have a choice we can either drive through the lights or get to the pubs, I’ll go with the majority on this.

I recommend we get Taxi’s from the hotel into the town and tour some of the pubs before heading over to Funny Girls – which will certainly be an eye opener I haven’t been in the new club but it’s supposed to be huge. Beyond that I’ll play it by ear there’s no shortage of nightclubs……..

Julz
23rd August 2004, 05:21 PM
When you say monday, do you mean today or a week today??:clown:

weefossy
23rd August 2004, 07:59 PM
Paul, can confirm deposit for Sioban and i has been paid. Hotel person was very helpful. Thanks again.

Sheilz
23rd August 2004, 08:51 PM
Have paid for my room too.

Julz
23rd August 2004, 09:06 PM
That's me booked too, very helpful people at the hotel!!:D

The Dogfather
24th August 2004, 03:16 AM
Great, just waiting on the others now. Lets hope the AA have done their homework on the hotel and everything is up to standard but it certainly sounds like the staff are OK.

seany
24th August 2004, 03:57 AM
is it going to be down the moterway or back roads

The Dogfather
24th August 2004, 06:18 AM
Mostly motorway but there could be a few detours if that's what people want. Have you booked yet Seany

Duncan Stewart
24th August 2004, 06:47 PM
Hi Paul. Confirmed our booking on Sunday morning. Sorry not to have posted sooner but been away last few days.
Cheers

seany
24th August 2004, 08:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Mostly motorway but there could be a few detours if that's what people want. Have you booked yet Seany

not yet, but will so.

seany
26th August 2004, 02:03 AM
sorry but i am going to pull out of this at the moment, as i dont know if i will be back from my working trip, but if back i will be there.

The Dogfather
26th August 2004, 04:18 AM
No problem Sean just let me know if you are able to make it.

Paul

seany
26th August 2004, 04:11 PM
ok thank's

Eggy7496
31st August 2004, 11:30 PM
Paul is it possible you could give me a contact number so i can speak to you about this run. Or is it to late, i spoke to you briefy on your chip butty run.

Nenah
13th September 2004, 06:37 AM
I've reserveda room for a mates from Oz who'll be staying with us in October. Anyone want a navigator's assistance on the run? Only so I dont have 3 adulta people travelling in my car slowing me down!?!?!?

MartinSullivan
13th September 2004, 03:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by Nenah-M3RPM

I've reserveda room for a mates from Oz who'll be staying with us in October. Anyone want a navigator's assistance on the run? Only so I dont have 3 adulta people travelling in my car slowing me down!?!?!?

Who is the third adult? - your mate, Jai and ?????? :D

The Dogfather
13th September 2004, 06:02 PM
Nenah - I would have said yes but the dog will be on the back seat, sorry!

Burple
8th October 2004, 01:33 AM
Woo!!
Finally remembered to do this!!

Booked!! :D:D:D:D

weefossy
17th October 2004, 12:36 AM
BDM, we will be coming down the Bigger Road (A702) so it would be good if we could meet you at the Abington services. You could either come off the motorway and collect us, or you could phone when you are near and we could catch you up on the motorway... as long as you ain't going too fast!! Let us know what you think. Really looking forward to the run.

Duncan Stewart
18th October 2004, 05:36 AM
As everyone going (except Malcolm) is from north/east of Perth would it make more sense to meet up at Perth? Just a thought - Glasgow is OK with me.

The Dogfather
18th October 2004, 06:09 AM
Duncan - I believe a couple will be leaving from Edinburgh, I might be wrong. From a logistics point of view it would be better to join up south of Glasgow saves the group breaking up in traffic.

Malcolm - PM your mobile number and we'll ring you as we pass, I don't intend to go much over 70 on the motorway, just in case.

Burple
18th October 2004, 07:15 PM
Malcolm...
We'll Prob be leaving from Flick's house (Musselburgh) so if you wanna meet up before hitting the convoy let me know! :D

weefossy
19th October 2004, 06:35 AM
Euan, we could meet at the Burgerking/Little Chief at the north end of Musselburgh (Monktonhall) and head down the Bigger road together. If the rest of the gang leave Bothwell at 10.15am they should be at Abington at about 10.45pm?? If we left Musselburgh at 9.15am we should be in plenty time to arrive and have a "cup o' tea" before we meet them. Do you think my timings are OK? I will PM my mobile no. to BDM and your goodself.

Burple
19th October 2004, 06:52 PM
Yup, that sounds spot on!
Much easier than us trying to get up that much earlier and scoot across country!!

Got your mobile number, I'll return mine as soon as I finish typing this! :D

heh... we still haven't 'decided' which car we're bringing yet.. ;):D

The Dogfather
19th October 2004, 07:07 PM
Can everyone who's going to Blackpool PM me their mobile numbers so I can keep in touch on the motorway just in case one of you wanders off, gets lost or needs to stop for fuel/emergency.

My number is in the first post.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Pix/pictures/2004/03/09/118_3.jpg
Julz - got your number
Malcolm - got your number
Ewan - got your number
Duncan - got your number
Nenah - got your number

Sheilz

Nenah
20th October 2004, 06:23 AM
Sounds like a great plan Paul! I think you already have my mobile number so we should be sorted.

Nenah
21st October 2004, 08:38 AM

Can everyone who's going to Blackpool PM me their mobile numbers so I can keep in touch on the motorway just in case one of you wanders off, gets lost or needs to stop for fuel/emergency.

My number is in the first post.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Pix/pictures/2004/03/09/118_3.jpg
Julz - got your number
Malcolm - got your number
Ewan - got your number
Duncan - got your number
Nenah - got your number

Sheilz

GOT YOUR NUMBBBBAAAAAAA! :cool:

Fontal
21st October 2004, 05:46 PM
I just got a message from Go-MINI as follows

Hi Richard,

I haven’t had any contact from the club — sorry to be a pain! If we are going to come we’ll need to know sooner rather than later so a photographer can be booked.

Cheers!

Helen

if we balls this one up by not contacting them there will be no chance of them comming again8)

Julz
25th October 2004, 05:59 PM
Okay, for those of us passing Perth, who fancies meeting up at the Broxden Services and leaving at about 9am-ish??:clown:

The Dogfather
25th October 2004, 06:38 PM
Julz - We'll be passing through so could meet up!

Julz
25th October 2004, 06:42 PM
That's what I thought, cause there will also be Nenah and Fiona heading from a northerly direction!!;)

The Dogfather
25th October 2004, 06:46 PM
The last I heard Fiona's wasn't coming and I think Nenah might be setting out from down south (I might be wrong!)

But Sheilz will be coming down, but I've not heard from her recently.

Julz
25th October 2004, 06:53 PM
Ah well, I'll be at Broxden ready to leave at 9am anyway!!:D

The Dogfather
25th October 2004, 06:57 PM
Is 1hr 15 enough time to get across to the other side of Glasgow from Perth. Jackie will be driving the MINI so very slow!!! I on the other hand will be in our old Audi which I'm giving to my Dad.

Julz
25th October 2004, 07:09 PM
According to my boss it takes just over an hour to get from Broxden to the Abington Services!!:clown:

The Dogfather
25th October 2004, 07:29 PM
Yes, but does he drive like he should be driving Miss Daisy cause Jackie does?

I often have to pull over and wait because she can't keep up, even when I'm driving slow!!!!!! Women Drivers Huh?

Julz
25th October 2004, 07:37 PM

Women Drivers Huh?

<thwack>:blackeye:

I've no doubt that his time goes by driving at a respectable speed, he does drive a Focus after all!!:p:)

The Dogfather
25th October 2004, 07:43 PM
Focuses or is it Foci can't handle being driven like a MINI that's for certain.

I had a zetec 1.8 hire car which I drove from Blackpool to Aberdeen in 3 3/4 hours 320 miles (fastest bit - 2 hours Blackpool to Glasgow, it's 200 miles) when I gave it back it was making some very strange noises.

Duncan Stewart
25th October 2004, 08:21 PM
We will meet up at Perth. leaving at 9am should be fine, it's only 60 miles and dual carriageway all the way.

Nenah
27th October 2004, 12:45 AM
I'll make a decision on Thursday night if I plan to drive to Glasgow on Friday night to stay over or head off from Aberdeen early Saturday morning. At this point, Jai is still overseas and its not looking likely he'll join me for the run but I will have G'day Lance with me. Is the plan still to meet and depart at Bothwell Services or Perth?

The Dogfather
27th October 2004, 01:03 AM
Nenah - I'm meeting Julz and Duncan at Perth and then carrying onto Glasgow to meet up with Ewan and Malcolm. If I can get hold of Sheilz I might change the meeting point to Abington services at 10.45am. It's just a bit further down the road

Nenah
27th October 2004, 05:32 AM

Nenah - I'm meeting Julz and Duncan at Perth and then carrying onto Glasgow to meet up with Ewan and Malcolm. If I can get hold of Sheilz I might change the meeting point to Abington services at 10.45am. It's just a bit further down the road

Yup, thats cool. Just keep me in the loop. I have to got to Glasgow to drop my brother and his mate (who are also staying with me at present) at Glasgow airport off to catch their flights home - certainly will test out the power of the BBR with 3 big Aussie blokes and 1 sheila on board! Have to say I'm looking forward to the stress releasse of the run after having so many Australians in my house for a long time!

weefossy
27th October 2004, 05:48 AM
Going back to Julz's idea of "fancy dress", what about "tarting the cars up" rather than the people? Sticking to a Halloween theme.... a bit like the Xmas run. Would look good as we "cruise the lights" before we hit the pubs / clubs.:D:evil::D

The Dogfather
27th October 2004, 04:32 PM
Malcolm et all - I've just been informed that this particular lights weekend is 'half term' so Blackpool will be mobbed.

Obviously this may have an impact on a run through the lights, as we'll need at least 2hours to get through and get back to the hotel, we can put it to the vote on Saturday. The pleasure beach is open till 10pm so we'll have plenty of time at the park. The hotel is close to the pleasure beach so we should be able to leave the cars there whilst we go on the rides.

The clubs are central Blackpool but we can get a cuple of bomber taxis to get us there and back. I dare say there'll be a few extra clubs in the town since I left so I've emailed my brother for an update on where's best to go. I'm assuming we are all 30+ so hardcore dance clubs wouldn't be the prefered choice?

Paul

Julz
27th October 2004, 04:54 PM

I'm assuming we are all 30+ so hardcore dance clubs wouldn't be the prefered choice?

Paul

Some (or at least one) of us are still in their EARLY 20's I'll have you know!!;):D

Just pubbing it would do us fine!:clown:

The Dogfather
27th October 2004, 04:58 PM
Oops, sorry Julz! We'll have to go to Funny Girls is a good laugh, but there's a good mix of club/pubs in the town, we can try them all! Hic!

Duncan Stewart
27th October 2004, 05:27 PM
We gotta have a run through the lights :D

The Dogfather
27th October 2004, 05:35 PM
If we go through early it might be better!

Burple
28th October 2004, 06:15 PM
Hi Everybody!!!

<Chorus: Hi Dr Nick!! :D>

Just a quickie..
For the Sat night... what's the general Dress code gonna be?
Are Jeans and Shirt ok? (Don't generally do 'posh') ;):D

any thoughts? :D

Duncan Stewart
28th October 2004, 07:03 PM
Good point. I was gonna take non-formal black trousers, T-shirt and trainers. But then I'm not keen on night clubs anyway. Pubs will do me fine.

The Dogfather
28th October 2004, 07:16 PM
Just go for Jeans, but a pair of shoes would by a good idea. Most clubs in Bpool are OK with jeans.

Eggy7496
28th October 2004, 09:23 PM
hey guys, enjoy yourself on this run, wished i could have made it

Julz
29th October 2004, 12:06 AM
Well folks, that's me signing off!! I've got tomorrow and monday off! So I will see you all on saturday, and those of you not going, why not??;):D

Scottie
29th October 2004, 12:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

Well folks, that's me signing off!! I've got tomorrow and monday off! So I will see you all on saturday, and those of you not going, why not??;):D

nar car to go in:(

Mini Me
29th October 2004, 12:56 AM
Someone's got to try and sell some more MINI'S ..............
Can't even pull a sicky ,cos big Col's got ma motor.

weefossy
29th October 2004, 05:31 AM
I'm with Duncan, you go to Blackpool, you have to do the lights. It's always slow, but it's worth it.:cool: I'm also for casual gear and a good "pub crawl". Although "Fanny Girls" sounds fun:evil::evil:. Sioban says she is like Julz; she's 20+;)

The Dogfather
29th October 2004, 05:23 PM
Right the lights it is (I know a few short cuts to spice things up on the return trip to the hotel!) We'll do a pubcrawl then onto Funny Girls, the area around North Pier is probably the best (Yates etc.).

MartinSullivan
30th October 2004, 05:37 AM
Have a good one guys - dont forget to bring us some rock back :)

Gismo
30th October 2004, 04:02 PM
and those of you not going, why not??;):D

Cause i'm stuck offshore :(

Duncan Stewart
1st November 2004, 04:26 AM
Thanks for a great weekend Paul and everyone who came.
Even the weather was good!
Here are the piccies :D
Fun at the pleasure beach ! Not Minis but similar handling
http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL568/2504290/4962736/71551896.jpg
http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL568/2504290/4962736/71551892.jpg
http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL568/2504290/4962736/71551885.jpg

Cruising the illuminations

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL568/2504290/4962736/71551910.jpg
http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL568/2504290/4962736/71551901.jpg

Could not resist this shot on the way home today - Vulcan V bomber

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL568/2504290/4962736/71551904.jpg

Big Col
1st November 2004, 04:39 AM
Ok.
1)Cool pics!
2)How scared do the two young people on the left in pic 2 look? <looks accusingly at lnl
3)Who's that on the left in pic 3? We all recognise gerbil features though. ;)
4)I know it's probably me being stoopid but aint that a really sad ending for a vulcan? They sound sooo amazing when they're flying and look so cool. :(

weefossy
1st November 2004, 07:27 AM
Well done Paul, what a great weekend. Went to see the lights, but saw some real "sights";):evil:;) Couldn't work the new camara at 2 ish am, to capture the "ladies of Blackpool:approve::evil:;), but have attached a couple of pictures (not up to Duncan's standards)

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/weefossy/47864.jpg

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/weefossy/47865.jpg

thanks again Paul, it was a really good laugh.

interceptor
1st November 2004, 07:52 AM
Sorry didn't get to meet up with you Peeps-We came across from Preston and the traffic was stand still so turned back. Glad you all had a good time-Maybe see you on a MINI run another day :)

Nenah
2nd November 2004, 04:14 AM
A big thanks to Paul for an awesome weekend in Blackpool and his hard work organising - I dont think I've ever laughed so hard, drunk so much and had to pick my chin up off the floor in shock so many times in one night! Def. highlight for me was riding on The Big One (ok, that's a roller coaster people!!!) and sinking (quite) a of my favourite bevvies - Carlton Cold - at The Walkabout Pub! ;) and getting near drowned on the Vahalla ride even whilst wearing a bin bag!!

Julz
2nd November 2004, 06:45 PM
Firstly, Col, you cheeky sod, that's me!!:evil:

Big thanks to Paul and Jackie for organising a great weekend! We got home at about 9pm on sunday night!!

So, who's for fish and chbips??:dead:

Burple
2nd November 2004, 11:57 PM
Just to echo all the comments so far..
Well done Paul! What an ace weekend!!
Some "interesting sights" right enough around Blackhole erm.. Blackpool!

We were total tourists on Sunday... Into the arcades and everything(was it Coral Sands?) tackiness all over!
(Ask Julz about her big Co erm.. Chicken ;))
And crapping our collective pants in the Passage Del Terror!!
heh heh..

And how much fun was the big one???
(and how much would it be worth to a certain girlie Mod to keep quiet about who chickened out of the Big One?? ;););))
Crikey.. what else?
The Helium baloons?
Getting soaked on Valhalla?
Nenah trying to walk through a plate glass window? (yeah... sure... you were sober... ;):D)
Smoothy Frank Sinatra? Siobhan was definitely in there with the geriatric crooner!!

Anything I missed? :D:D:D:D

Julz
3rd November 2004, 12:34 AM
So I don't like heights, that's why I'm short for goodness sake!;) I had more fun on the Carosel with Siobhan!!:D

Helium balloons..... my head is still all floaty! Although I do recall being the numpty to keep taking the stuff!:p

My feet are still all pruny from Valhalla and as for nenah and her walking through glass trick, I forgot about that!!:clown:

And Ewan, you leave my giant co... chicken out of this!!:D

Best of all was the very VERY pale colour of a certain little person with a shiny napper on sunday morning!!;):D

Burple
4th November 2004, 07:41 PM

So I don't like heights, that's why I'm short for goodness sake!;) I had more fun on the Carosel with Siobhan!!:D

Poo!! We should have gone back for a shot on that horsey ride too!!! that loked like a giggle! Looks like you'll ha ve to arrange it again next year Paul!! :D

quote:
Best of all was the very VERY pale colour of a certain little person with a shiny napper on sunday morning!!;):D

Ahem... yes... well... that was DEFINITELY the fault of the dodgy fish an' chips... :dead::dead::dead:
Quickly remedied by Bruger King tho!! :D