PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on chrome scoop....

simonfr
23rd September 2013, 09:14 PM
Whats the general consensus on fitting a chrome scoop surround ...... something like this :

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=400575264401&kw=400575264401

I can't quite decide whether or not I like it (would be fitting to a very dark grey Cooper S)

Si

EcosseGP
23rd September 2013, 09:18 PM
Personally it's not for me but that's the good thing about being a MINI owner you can make it your own ...

At 8000rpm no-one hears you scream !

Mon the fish
23rd September 2013, 09:57 PM
I don't buy the rush to de-chrome everything, some chrome is good.

But a chrome scoop is hideous IMO. Leave it body colour

simonfr
23rd September 2013, 10:34 PM
I think the bit that puts me off is the fact that it's a stick on scoop and I'm worried it'd look right out of place. Because the car is so dark the scoop just seems to blend in to the car, but because it's one of the few things that sets the Cooper S out from a "standard" mini I wanted to show it off a bit more (yeah yeah, I have issues ;)). I think some bonnet stripes right up the middle might be a bit more subtle.

Hmmm ... 2 minutes later .....

Just googled and found this :

Ok, I don't have the chome mirrors or black wheels, but other than that it's identical.... I'm torn.

Si

Stewart
24th September 2013, 12:04 AM
I prefer the subtle look, if you have an S it’s got the scoop and twin pipes and that’s enough for me to give it a nod of approval. To me that chrome scoop is trying to hard to be noticed.

The fact it’s a stick on could actually make great car look tacky in my opinion.

But everyone to their own and Mini is much better for it.

stoney
24th September 2013, 07:07 AM
If you like it go for it every one is different and so are there mini's I have de-chromed mine :lol:

Colin
24th September 2013, 12:20 PM
I had a chrome scoop on my dark blue Checkmate and I liked it. But would stay clear of the stick on ones, it'll just look crap!

simonfr
24th September 2013, 12:20 PM
The fact it’s a stick on could actually make great car look tacky in my opinion.

This is exactly what's worrying me. Think I'll give it a miss and put the money towards the DRLs instead.

Thanks all for the input :)

Simon

Stewart
24th September 2013, 12:26 PM
Now the DRL I like ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

simonfr
24th September 2013, 06:50 PM
Went in to Menzies today, but they quoted it as being a 2 hour job, and after the cost of the DRLs (supplied by them) it's looking to be in the region of £550 :confused: I can buy the DRLs (With the same part number) from Stratstone for £220, but it's not something I could fit myself.

Si

stoney
24th September 2013, 07:48 PM
Went in to Menzies today, but they quoted it as being a 2 hour job, and after the cost of the DRLs (supplied by them) it's looking to be in the region of £550 :confused: I can buy the DRLs (With the same part number) from Stratstone for £220, but it's not something I could fit myself.

Si

Yep that's about right they say 250 for the lights and 250 for the fitting

It's shocking if you ask me !! It's the only reason I have not got them !!

EcosseGP
25th September 2013, 07:52 AM
Not too sure what's involved in the full job but £250 for fitting is excessive but think there might be a bit of drilling through the bulkhead and then wiring into the main ignition loom required ...

I'd stay clear of stick on chrome scoop but you could alway tone it down with an a la GP scoop sticker in the middle so only the outer edge is seen ... just a thought

MINI William
25th September 2013, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't go with a stick on scoop, but if you like the chrome scoop get a replacment scoop every MINI is diffrent. About the DRL's I don't see the big thing with them I think they look awful and they cost a fortune

Mon the fish
25th September 2013, 10:38 AM
There's a whole heap of things you could do to your car with £500. Lights wouldn't be my first choice

ELFMAN
25th September 2013, 12:14 PM
There's a whole heap of things you could do to your car with £500. Lights wouldn't be my first choice

I agree! Nice Downpipe or Exhaust or Intercooler... :smilewinkgrin:
I'd stay well clear of the 'stick-on Scoop'. As Ali said, If you really want a chrome one, go for the 'kosher' MINI version.

simonfr
25th September 2013, 12:23 PM
ok, so I'm definitely not going for a stick on scoop. It's probably more because of concerns about durability rather than how it looks (each to their own, right?).

Regarding the lights, £500 is a lot, but I do like the look so may well get them yet. I'm done with performance mods having previously had a supercharged and tracked MX-5, although I have seen a CAI that looks quite good. Maybe I should just give the bank card to the wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simon

Gismo
25th September 2013, 03:39 PM
I fitted a chrome scoop to my cousins Cooper S, given the fact that there is a lot of chrome already on the car, ie, mirrors, handles, boot handle, belt line etc the chrome scoop actually looks ok
Just to throw a spanner into the mix :Whistle:

simonfr
25th September 2013, 09:59 PM
I fitted a chrome scoop to my cousins Cooper S, given the fact that there is a lot of chrome already on the car, ie, mirrors, handles, boot handle, belt line etc the chrome scoop actually looks ok
Just to throw a spanner into the mix :Whistle:

You can't put that and then not put up any photos ;)

I was just browsing t'internet and came across a CAI on YouTube (think it was the AEM), but I've no intention of buying one :(

I doubt I'd manage to fit the DRLs myself. I can do basic car DIY, but taking a bumper off is beyond my realm of comfort (not on a 8 month old car anyway!)

simonfr
10th October 2013, 09:20 PM
Well, just couldn't help myself and bought a genuine BMW chrome scoop via eBay. Some Internet research suggests its easy to do, but that clips can be broken in the process. Anyone here fitted one and have any advice?

Simon

EcosseGP
10th October 2013, 09:46 PM
Not fitted a chrome one but taken off and replaced plenty of others .. Simple really and only a matter of a few bolts and if your sensible you've no chance of breaking anything !

EcosseGP
10th October 2013, 09:46 PM
Whereabouts are you ?

Craig
10th October 2013, 09:51 PM
he's in the Nauld Davy... ;) Bandit Country... :Whistle: :lol:

simonfr
10th October 2013, 10:00 PM
Aye bandit and roundabout country, but if you're willing to help would drive....... Though you might be in Aberdeen ...... that'd be a wee bit far ;)

Craig
10th October 2013, 10:08 PM
we could have a MINI meet at mine Simon, I could sell you something else... - Davy's just 5 mins along the road ;)

simonfr
10th October 2013, 10:14 PM
Buy something else? What have you got? :-D

Mini meet sounds good ... what's the going rate for around here for this sort of thing? Beer?

Craig
10th October 2013, 10:46 PM
For a scoop? Sounds to me like hee haw and a bit of banter :). I'm sure Davy will agree :)

EcosseGP
11th October 2013, 12:20 AM
Yeah no hassle if you've got time to head over to Craig's I'll swap it over for you ..

Gismo
11th October 2013, 07:25 AM
Remove your watch, bracelets and any rings you've got, cause when the scoop gives way the chances of your jewelery scratching the paint or scoop is quite high :thumbs up:

simonfr
11th October 2013, 01:26 PM
The scoop "gives way"? Not sure I like the sound of this any more :hand:

If you can help, when would suit you?