PDA

View Full Version : 5C or not 5C that is the question

Neil - TXJ
22nd September 2013, 07:27 PM
So I am due an upgrade but been waiting for my new car as current set up in car wouldn't work with another phone.

Will defiantly be getting another apple but not sure on 5C or 5S - main use of phone is listening to podcasts / music and checking Facebook / Twitter / Taptalk. I do play some games but relatively simple ones.

Think 5C will do all I need but is there something in the 5S that makes it a must buy considering what I use it for?

The bigger question is how will I connect to the new car. Understand I will need a Y cable but does this also charge the phone? Am keen to avoid hanging wires but don't know if this is possible - like my current set up, picture attached which connects to the radio and charges with cables behind trim.

Thoughts appreciated.

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Trigger0404/Dock%20n%20Drive/c20f8972.jpg

simonfr
22nd September 2013, 10:32 PM
Yes - the Y cable does also charge the phone, but I can't see an easy way to hide all the cables. If you're just connecting to listen to music on the phone I'd be inclined not to bother....... I bought a 16Gb USB stick and copied the music I wanted in the car from iTunes on to it .... ok, it means I'll have to update it periodically, but as I don't buy music that often (once per month maybe?) it's no big deal. The navigation through the headunit is good enough for me :)

Sorry for the off topic, but what's the phone holder you have there?

Simon

Neil - TXJ
22nd September 2013, 10:38 PM
Thanks Simon - its not just an holder its a Dock n Drive system. I don't have a usb connector so this works off just off the aux system with a separate connector for power.

http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=959

Thanks for advice but I listen to podcasts mainly that I update daily so USB not great

simonfr
22nd September 2013, 11:08 PM
Ah - ok. The Y cable solution will be a bit better then than what you've got, but what we really want want is a dock of some sort that the Y cable can plug in to, but also one that you can just drop the phone in to. I've not managed to find one yet.

Simon

AndyP & Lenore
22nd September 2013, 11:22 PM
Neil, the Y cable is a USB cable. If your car doesn't have USB it won't be any use to you. :idunno:

Neil - TXJ
22nd September 2013, 11:27 PM
Thanks Simon.

Andy - it's for new car which is on order.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd September 2013, 11:28 PM
But to answer your initial question... I just don't see the point of the 5c. Rrp is only £80 cheaper than 5s. No idea what the difference on contracts are. I think I did see some free handset contracts which you won't get with a 5s, at least not without going to silly money / month.

The 5s has the A7 processor, touch sensor - which btw works amazingly well - better camera, better screen (I think).

It's not that the 5s is so significantly better than the 5c, it's that the 5c should be significantly cheaper than it is to tempt folk to go for the lesser model.

All IMHO. :smilewinkgrin:

AndyP & Lenore
22nd September 2013, 11:28 PM
Thanks Simon.

Andy - it's for new car which is on order.

Oh aye. Sorry. Missed that. Lol

Crombers
23rd September 2013, 03:29 PM
In a word ................ gobbledegook

Havent got a clue what you are all on about & as such can offer no assistance whatsoever :confused: :hand: