PDA

View Full Version : ios7 iPhone Update

Gismo
19th September 2013, 09:21 PM
Anyone else updated their phone today?
Some neat touches and now finally you can use your iPhone as a personal hotspot :thumbs up:

Craig
19th September 2013, 10:03 PM
Yup - liking it tbh :)

www.lodgeonthecaley.com

Stewart
19th September 2013, 11:07 PM
No my 3Gs does not like as its not in the in crowd!!!!!!!!! :ragin:

AndyP & Lenore
19th September 2013, 11:50 PM
Yeah quite liking it. Nice and fresh look.

Not overly keen on the way the app icons no longer have a drop shadow so they are less well defined against the background image. Had to change to a dark stock image so I can see them ok.

But it's pretty slick and pretty intelligent. Best update yet.

Next up... A 5S. :thumbs up:

jdl_1967
20th September 2013, 04:23 PM
I lost all my contacts :-( no amount of switch contacts off and on and rebooting phone from previous back have have restored then.

I like it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

N16SHP
20th September 2013, 04:28 PM
Not overly keen on the way the app icons no longer have a drop shadow so they are less well defined against the background image. Had to change to a dark stock image so I can see them ok.

The guys at work all thought the same. One of the guys in studio said he thought a 9 year old had been in charge of the design. But they agree some of the functionality is now better.

AndyP & Lenore
20th September 2013, 07:56 PM
The guys at work all thought the same. One of the guys in studio said he thought a 9 year old had been in charge of the design. But they agree some of the functionality is now better.

It's all very.... swishy? If you know what I mean. Icons and menus all swishing in and out etc.

MINI William
20th September 2013, 10:01 PM
Just updated my iPad. It's all a bit colourful. Seems to be running a tiny bit slower or less responsive. May seem a bit of a stupid question but how do I now close down apps. Before I just needed to double push the home button then hold on an app then I could close them down. Can't seem to any more.

scratch that managed to work it out just need to slide them up now

d.oxley72
20th September 2013, 11:16 PM
I'm liking ios7 (downloaded it today into the iPad). The keyboard is much nicer than before and there are features 'inspired' by Android, which I like as I am used to working with both systems. The only downside was having delete a few apps in order to make space for the upgrade. Will have to manage my apps better in future.

With the exception of my Facebook friends, Contacts have 'lost' the information I had entered, however Notes have kept the documents I had made.

john
20th September 2013, 11:49 PM
I preferred how it was :(

Gismo
21st September 2013, 01:32 AM
Any way to kill apps that are still running in the background?? or is it that not a hassle any more?
Used to double click the round button and then you could shut them down

Neil - TXJ
21st September 2013, 01:43 AM
Double click which shows open Apps and swipe upwards on the App to close

Gismo
21st September 2013, 01:44 AM
Double click which shows open Apps and swipe upwards on the App to closeNice one :thumbs up:

boozeman
22nd September 2013, 11:40 AM
I updated my iPad yesterday, wasn't impressed that my 10yr old managed to unlock it even though its got a pass code on it. Something to do with the notification drop down she said. It took her 20mins of messing to brake into to it. My phone can wait till that's sorted before I update that.

stoney
22nd September 2013, 01:31 PM
I think it ok so far not messed to much tho !!

T5LLC
22nd September 2013, 02:04 PM
I updated my iPad no issues... my iPhone5 was a different story, lost my iMessenger and alll app notifications.. took reset of everything and reset of apple ID to get it fixed but the guys at apple were more than helpful :) I quite like the new look, had an iPhone since 2010 so a little change is quite nice

Gismo
22nd September 2013, 04:07 PM
I like the swipe from the bottom (oooeerrr)

Crombers
23rd September 2013, 03:32 PM
I havent got a clue!!

Neil - TXJ
23rd September 2013, 03:45 PM
I havent got a clue!!

Is that just a general statement 😊

Crombers
23rd September 2013, 08:36 PM
Is that just a general statement 

Yeah pretty much, it follows me around :dizzy:

MINI William
14th October 2013, 01:19 PM
is anyone else having troubles with Imessages? Mine arent working at all.

Gismo
14th October 2013, 01:54 PM
is anyone else having troubles with Imessages? Mine arent working at all.Do you mean just regular text messages? if so, everyone ok with me, even between other non iPhone users :Whistle:

MINI William
14th October 2013, 02:14 PM
Do you mean just regular text messages? if so, everyone ok with me, even between other non iPhone users :Whistle:

No the Imessage system that goes between Iphone to Iphone or Ipad (blue messages)

Gismo
14th October 2013, 02:37 PM
No the Imessage system that goes between Iphone to Iphone or Ipad (blue messages)Ok, i kinda said that in my reply, but, for me, no problems sending messages between iphone users

jdl_1967
14th October 2013, 08:17 PM
My eBay app and Safari are much slower and more laggy in their operation than before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MINI William
14th October 2013, 08:33 PM
I'm also getting a message if any app can give me notifications when I go into it each time.

Gismo
15th October 2013, 06:31 AM
I've just noticed that my battery drains more when not being used :ragin:

Big Col
15th October 2013, 12:43 PM
Have you turned off background app refresh in setting>general>background app refresh Gismo?

Gismo
15th October 2013, 12:51 PM
Have you turned off background app refresh in setting>general>background app refresh Gismo?Yip, in fact, someone posted 7 ways to keep the battery usage low on FB, since then the standby rate is incredible, almost 60 per cent overnight, can't find the link anymore.............:sad:

Craig
15th October 2013, 05:21 PM
Yip, in fact, someone posted 7 ways to keep the battery usage low on FB, since then the standby rate is incredible, almost 60 per cent overnight, can't find the link anymore.............:sad:

yeah I did that aswell, made a big diff. Just googled it....

http://mashable.com/2013/10/11/ios-7-battery-life/

Gismo
16th October 2013, 05:22 AM
yeah I did that aswell, made a big diff. Just googled it....

http://mashable.com/2013/10/11/ios-7-battery-life/Thanks, but, what i meant was, since using these tips my standby battery usage overnight is 60 per cent, just sitting there doing nowt it drains 60 per cent

Gismo
16th October 2013, 09:06 AM
A bit more research, i'm not alone with this problem.
Fixes are wide ranging from the obvious to the ones linked to by Craig.

Latest one for me was to do a hard reset of the device, basically, hold the round button and the on/off button at the same time until it restarts.
Also a recommendation is to uninstall facebook and reinstall it
If this doesn't work i'll be totally resetting the device when i get home and if that doesn't work i'll be asking for a replacement handset, if no go then i'm gonna do the same as Rob and get a Windows 8 phone.
As much as i very much like the iPhone i'm totally fed up having to recharge twice a day..............

AndyP & Lenore
16th October 2013, 05:46 PM
I have to admit, my S5's battery is way better than the S4. I always leave it charging overnight next to my bed and only unplug it in the morning. By the end of the two years of my 4S I couldn't really get through a full day without having to charge my phone. Most days my 5S is still showing 40% to 60% of battery left.

It's difficult to get a proper comparison though because I changed to Vodafone (from Orange) at the same time and Vodafone's signal is utter crap - significantly worse than Orange in every location I've used my phone so far. And a poor signal - especially if you're phone is constantly trying to find or use a poor or non-existent 3G signal - is the worst possible drain on a phone's battery.

stoney
16th October 2013, 05:48 PM
Yep I moved a way and got the nokia lumia 1020 windows phone it's very good battery last a day easy like it a lot nice big Screen as well

Gismo
16th October 2013, 05:57 PM
Since i did the hard reset my iPhone has significantly improved, tonight will be the big test, anything less than 60 per cent drain on standby will be a big bonus

Gismo
17th October 2013, 06:37 AM
Overnight test, 40 per cent battery drain, but, it's constantly searching for network, anyway, well happy, so, anyone else having similar problems, try the hard reset.
Today i am gonna let the battery run down completely and then recharge, which was another remedy advised online

Gismo
19th October 2013, 06:28 AM
Finally was able to let the iPhone run out of battery, even to the extent trying to turn it on again a couple of times to ensure full drain.
Recharged and did the overnight test again, wow, significant result, now only a 14 per cent drain overnight.

My advice, hard reset and then do the battery drain :thumbs up: