PDA

View Full Version : run flats

gordyglen
19th September 2013, 11:06 AM
Hi,

Looking for some advise.

having to replace worn front tyres on my R56 cooper S, I was thinking of moving away from run flats due to the combination of 205/45 17 tyres and sport suspension, the ride is very hard

Question, I only want to change front tyres as the backs still have 6mm tread left, is it ok to have runflats on the back and ordinary tyres on the front or the other way round, will it upset the balance / steering or handling of the car

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

G

Craig
19th September 2013, 11:16 AM
Others will prob disagree with me but I would not put a mixture of run flats and std tyres on any car, just like I wouldn't mix winter and std tyres. This is just my opinion.

If it was me I would sell the run flats on with the 6mm on them for about £60 each minimum and buy 4 std tyres. You will see much better ride comfort, grip and less noise. It's a no brainier AND you get better choice of tyres at less than half the cost. My recommendation would be Vredestein Ultrac Sessenta, Yoko Parada Spec 2 or Hankook V12 Evo :)

www.lodgeonthecaley.com

GreigJCW
19th September 2013, 12:24 PM
Others will prob disagree with me but I would not put a mixture of run flats and std tyres on any car, just like I wouldn't mix winter and std tyres. This is just my opinion.

If it was me I would sell the run flats on with the 6mm on them for about £60 each minimum and buy 4 std tyres. You will see much better ride comfort, grip and less noise. It's a no brainier AND you get better choice of tyres at less than half the cost. My recommendation would be Vredestein Ultrac Sessenta, Yoko Parada Spec 2 or Hankook V12 Evo :)

www.lodgeonthecaley.com

Agreed i would never mix rfs and non rfs .Continental contact 3s are decent too.

Sent from my iPad mini.

MINI William
19th September 2013, 12:52 PM
AS Craig and Greig have said I wouldn't mix RF and non RF. On a side note Parada Spec 2 are great in the dry but were rubbish in the rain on Sunday.

Angib
19th September 2013, 08:05 PM
I don't think there's enough difference between the handling of runflats and non-runflats to justify never mixing them. I tried mixing them for a week on my Cooper on 16s and I couldn't detect any change in oversteer/understeer at the limit - and I certainly took them over the limit. Frankly there's as much difference between different makes of the same tyre.

So I would say it's not best practice, but not dangerous, particularly on a R56 with ESC. Ali's suggestion of runflats front and non-runflats rear sounds right to me.

Stewart
19th September 2013, 08:17 PM
Best thing I ever did was get rid of the RF all round. Car for everyday driving was so much better. Less bang and crash on the crap roads at the time.

stoney
19th September 2013, 08:37 PM
Done it in the past but don't think it's the best idea tbh I would change them all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

weefossy
19th September 2013, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't mix and then its down to the usual RF v normal discussion. From our experience the Sports suspension is much more responsible for the "harsh" ride than the runflats.imho

gordyglen
23rd September 2013, 10:35 AM
ok, food for thought, thanks for the advice, think I will change the two tyres and see what happens, if there is any adverse affect i will change the other two, will keep you posted

Thanks Again

G

G17RDY
6th October 2013, 10:34 AM
I have a very similar dilemma, run flats all round, but want to move away from them.

Front two have 2mm, and following M.O.T on Friday found nearside needed replaced, with 3mm on the offside - So i had to stump up and buy a new RF for the nearside rear.

The front two need replaced in the next month, so i'm thinking on replacing the front two with standard, leaving the RF on the rear, until i need to replace the back offside!

gordyglen
28th October 2013, 11:13 AM
Update to the above thread, I have changed the front two tyres to non runflats and kept runflats on the back, the tyres I chose are Yokohama Parada spec 2, no adverse effect to the cars stability, front grip is better, ride is far smoother, will change the backs to same tyre when these ones wear out, also bought a tin of scooshy stuff incase of punture.