PDA

View Full Version : Spam Attacks

Gismo
26th August 2013, 08:22 AM
Apologies if anyone finds the site slower than normal, the registration spam attacks are increasing all the time.

I'd perviously simply just closed registrations to all which cures the fault, but, it obviously stops an unknown amount of true new members, i've just about tried everything.

I've closed the site to non registered folks, so, only registered members can view and make any posts, i know a few people have concerns that information was shown to anyone viewing the site, but, from now on the site will be closed to non registered members.

Gismo
26th August 2013, 09:23 AM
:lol: 8 in the first 10 mins

stoney
26th August 2013, 09:55 AM
That's good glad we are back

Any idea why we are getting so much spam ?

Gismo
26th August 2013, 10:01 AM
Any idea why we are getting so much spam ?No idea :idunno:

Craig
26th August 2013, 11:00 AM
Spam is a complete pain in the arse !!!

Gismo
26th August 2013, 12:32 PM
Spam is a complete pain in the arse !!!Sure is, however, of the 24 new registrations we actually gained a new member, still, very time consuming to delete them, especially on a crappy connection

Gismo
2nd September 2013, 08:36 PM
Ok, might have figured out what was going on, update tomorrow, site is open again for new registrations
Still closed for guests viewing :thumbs up:

Craig
2nd September 2013, 08:37 PM
Ok, might have figured out what was going on, update tomorrow, site is open again for new registrations

Good stuff ;)

stoney
2nd September 2013, 08:38 PM

That's good news if we can stop the spam :)

Gismo
2nd September 2013, 08:42 PM
Good stuff ;)

That's good news if we can stop the spam :)So far so good, site's been open for 20 mins and not one spammer, usually would have 2 by now

Gismo
3rd September 2013, 06:40 AM
So far so good, site's been open for 20 mins and not one spammer, usually would have 2 by nowHmm, over 50 through the night, absolutely sick to death of this..........more investigation required.
This is having a serious impact on the site, we are falling way down the search engine searches.
I'm of the opinion that we have been targeted at all costs.
It's not spam bots, it has to be humans cause they are answering the questions during registration, nae happy :ragin:

Craig
3rd September 2013, 10:46 AM
Hmm, over 50 through the night, absolutely sick to death of this..........more investigation required.
This is having a serious impact on the site, we are falling way down the search engine searches.
I'm of the opinion that we have been targeted at all costs.
It's not spam bots, it has to be humans cause they are answering the questions during registration, nae happy :ragin:

That's very strange... So you think we are being targeted by certain people ?? If I can help, let me know. ;)

stoney
3rd September 2013, 10:56 AM
That's very strange... So you think we are being targeted by certain people ?? If I can help, let me know. ;)

like wise !!!

Gismo
3rd September 2013, 01:12 PM
There is nothing you can do against human registrants, well, you can't stop them registering, so, i've decided to go against my decisions and have opted for a plug in, efefctively not covered by vBulletin's help.
It's from a reputable source so will be ok, it stops folks registering if their e-mail address isn't legit.

Most of our problems are from people who just throw in a fake e-mail address, so, at least this will weed out that, again, fingers crossed

Craig
3rd September 2013, 01:31 PM
Ok Alan, hopefully this will help ;)

weefossy
3rd September 2013, 06:54 PM
Some folk really do need to get a life................dickheads.......:moonie: to all you spammers out there....

MINI William
3rd September 2013, 07:35 PM
Hopefully this will help

Gismo
4th September 2013, 06:54 AM
Folks may have noticed a new object at the bottom of the main page, Spam O Meter, have a look at the amount of spam that has been stopped in one day.

This highlights my problem, but now with this installed we have assistance :thumbs up:

RobSco
4th September 2013, 05:39 PM
Folks may have noticed a new object at the bottom of the main page, Spam O Meter, have a look at the amount of spam that has been stopped in one day.

This highlights my problem, but now with this installed we have assistance :thumbs up:

Looks like your Spam-O-Matic is working well Alan, Quite a few stopped today... :thumbs up:

Gismo
5th September 2013, 02:10 PM
Looks like your Spam-O-Matic is working well Alan, Quite a few stopped today... :thumbs up:And now with the latest server addition the fake e-mail types should be blocked as well :thumbs up:

Craig
5th September 2013, 04:08 PM
And now with the latest server addition the fake e-mail types should be blocked as well :thumbs up:

Sorted !

www.lodgeonthecaley.com

MINI William
5th September 2013, 04:41 PM
This is great news. 220 denied so far, great results

Gismo
19th September 2013, 09:55 PM
The new system is working very well, the only thing coming through are e-mails advising me of fake e-mail attempts, which is perfectly fine, about 5 per day.
The upside is that we are getting genuine new members and they are easy to see and approve.

However, i'm now getting a lot of spam messages suggesting i buy certain pills and creams to, erm, well, enhance my performance :lol:
Didn't know that by rubbing a cream onto my engine it would make it go faster or grow................................. :Whistle:

Craig
19th September 2013, 10:06 PM
Lol :lol: PMSL :)

www.lodgeonthecaley.com

Gismo
2nd October 2013, 02:27 PM
Happy to say that with just over 1,000 spam attempts to register on the site none have gotten through :thumbs up:

weefossy
2nd October 2013, 05:39 PM
Excellent news, well done sir.

MINI William
2nd October 2013, 06:19 PM
Great news

Gismo
15th December 2013, 05:43 AM
Now over 3,000 spam registrations detected and not a single one has gotten through, equates to approx 26 per day

stoney
15th December 2013, 09:11 AM
We at least the filter is working

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_212 using Tapatalk

Craig
15th December 2013, 11:44 AM
Great news !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)