PDA

View Full Version : More of a return than new Mini owner

jdl_1967
25th August 2013, 09:42 PM
After a two year absence with a Clio 182 I've returned to Mini ownership and just bought the below R53 JCW

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/26/6e3a5aqa.jpg

Which after 2 days now looks more like this

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/26/nu9y9yvu.jpg

White door mirrors coming soon, plus possibly some lighter wheels and non run flat tyres.

It's got a few issues, apart from being a pre-facelift that seems to get a lot of bad press, but hopefully all rectified soon.

Craig
25th August 2013, 09:46 PM
Welcome Back John - glad you got rid of the French plastic thingy ;)

www.lodgeonthecaley.com

jdl_1967
25th August 2013, 10:18 PM
Thanks Craig, I just need to work out why my low oil pressure light flickers on very occasionally when the engine is at tick over and very hot. Only done it a couple of times, but needed it sorted before the engine sounds like I've left my spanners in it ;-)

RobSco
25th August 2013, 10:28 PM
Welcome back to NMS... :thumbs up: ...Like the look of your new Mini... :yes nod:

Gismo
26th August 2013, 08:00 AM
:welcome:
Welcome back John

stoney
26th August 2013, 08:06 AM
Welcome back

Colin
26th August 2013, 11:25 AM
Welcome back!

jdl_1967
26th August 2013, 12:10 PM
Cheers guys, it's good to be back, even with my mechanical issues

jdl_1967
26th August 2013, 08:19 PM
Low oil pressure cured, I hope! Checked oil filter and it had partially collapsed, replaced and now no more flickering.

Now a new problem, slight amount of creamy substance on oil filler cap and dipstick, bloomin' heck :-(

Absolutely no overheating, radiator fan works when climate on as does power steering fan. Never seems to get warm enough for main fan, needle never goes above half way.

Anyone want a cheap (junk) car? ;-)

Craig
26th August 2013, 09:13 PM
Good news about he oil pressure, not good about the creamy stuff in the oil cap. Could be the car just not getting used a lot (bit of condensation in the engine..?)) Maybe do an oil change ? Hope it's not head gasket.

Is this where I say about buying a facelift again ?

www.lodgeonthecaley.com

Mon the fish
26th August 2013, 09:33 PM
Get an OBD reader, check the running temp, and when the low- and high-speed fans kick in

jdl_1967
26th August 2013, 09:42 PM
Good news about he oil pressure, not good about the creamy stuff in the oil cap. Could be the car just not getting used a lot (bit of condensation in the engine..?)) Maybe do an oil change ? Hope it's not head gasket.

Is this where I say about buying a facelift again ?

www.lodgeonthecaley.com

Yeah, but any car could do this, just wish it wasn't mine :-(

I do love the car though, other than a dodgy engine, it's great. Fairly major part admittedly ;-)

Craig
26th August 2013, 09:43 PM
It might not be major tho John ... Think positive ;)

www.lodgeonthecaley.com

EcosseGP
27th August 2013, 12:35 AM
Welcome back John and its looking great already .. Knew you'd have those stripes removed asap. Interesting that the oil filter had partially collapsed but could be the reason the oil light flickered occasionally. There wasn't any "cream" on the oil filler cap or dipstick Saturday ...

The car was reading a steady 96 degrees on the reader but like you said the needle doesn't move but neither does mine on the GP or S even with the fan kicking in ...

Don't be so hard on the wee buggy I'm sure it'll be ok ? Get the bits sorted we spoke about and it'll be fine .. Wanna swap ?

At 8000rpm no-one hears you scream !

jdl_1967
27th August 2013, 06:13 AM
Welcome back John and its looking great already .. Knew you'd have those stripes removed asap. Interesting that the oil filter had partially collapsed but could be the reason the oil light flickered occasionally. There wasn't any "cream" on the oil filler cap or dipstick Saturday ...

The car was reading a steady 96 degrees on the reader but like you said the needle doesn't move but neither does mine on the GP or S even with the fan kicking in ...

Don't be so hard on the wee buggy I'm sure it'll be ok ? Get the bits sorted we spoke about and it'll be fine .. Wanna swap ?

At 8000rpm no-one hears you scream !

Cheers Davy,

I know, it was totally clear of the white stuff at the weekend, it arrived last night after wife had taken it to work. Once cleaned off, I let it run again for about 20 minutes and didn't get any back, but I'll see what it's like tonight after its been to Larbert and back today.

Oil change already booked this week and I'll flush the coolant system out this week too.

New belt, tensioner bushes and Alta Tensioner Stop just about to be ordered from Lohen.

Gismo
27th August 2013, 07:35 AM
If you're doing short journeys to and from work, try and avoid sitting in too high a gear, keep the engine revvy, labouring the engine on short journey's will always bring the emulsion problem in the oil cap :thumbs up:

jdl_1967
27th August 2013, 08:16 AM
My wife is actually driving it at the moment as hers is off the road getting some work done. She does drive it in 6th even at 5mph and ignores the juddering and banging that is going on!

We just end up shouting at each other, it's a relaxing travelling experience!

I'll thrash it (carefully) tonight

Crombers
27th August 2013, 04:45 PM
Welcome back, hope your MK1 (original is best) is ticketyboo in no time :thumbs up: