PDA

View Full Version : lowering and spacers

Cooper S Scott
23rd August 2013, 05:00 PM
hi guys

ok just wondering what u guys would recomend...
as i was thinking of keeping my wheels that are on my cooper s and getting them powdercoated but was thinking about geting spacers to bring them out a bit.
also lowering it a bit.
now i do use the car every day and unfotunatley i have stupid speed bumps all the way up my estate to my house
so cant go to low.
also i take my 2 and half year old son about in my mini so dont really wanna make it as stiff as hell.
so was thinking if am just looking for the look and not to low is it worth me leaving the standard cooper s shocks and fitting maybe 40 or 30mm lowering springs?????

whats your thoughts guys

an if you guys agree or any 1 has done this before what springs would you recommend?

were can i get a full set of wheel studs as the 1ns thats on are very shabby and make the white wheels look dreadful
;)

Mon the fish
23rd August 2013, 08:00 PM
Springs are bad. Your shocks are old and worn, putting springs on them will only show up their age. The ride will be terrible. If you want lows without performance (camber, drop links etc) get a set of AP coilovers. More comfortable than the terrible stock suspension, fully adjustable for height, £500 new.

Spacers will also ruin the ride, as you're adding extra weight where it matters most. And on an old car, will wear out the wheel bearings.

So, in summary - APs, and if you want a better offset, buy better wheels

Cooper S Scott
23rd August 2013, 11:38 PM
Cheers mate
Always like to hear what others have done.

Big Gordy
23rd August 2013, 11:45 PM
Springs are bad. Your shocks are old and worn, putting springs on them will only show up their age. The ride will be terrible.

Sorry.....but have to disagree with you on this:frown: I will admit that if your standard shocks have 50,000 miles on them fitting new springs will not liven them up. I fitted Eibachs on my ONE which only had 12,000 miles on it and it transformed the handling IMO. Dropped the front 25mm and the back 35mm. Now looks good and handles better.
2nd best mod I ever did to it.....1st being a PLAYMINI exhaust :yes nod::thumbs up: ....ohh yeh baby.

Cooper S Scott
24th August 2013, 01:03 AM
Thanks Gordy
An I totally agree with u guys regards to it ain't gonna do them any favours.
But all I was thinking was perhaps I could get a set of springs for the time being
Like u said Gordy nothing extremely low.
Just subtlety an if the shocks do go well I would cross that bridge when I come to it
But if I get 5k 10k 20k or what ever out them
Well a would be happy :)
I actually think the standard kit is quite stiff on the cooper s
Well mines feels it any ways
Can I ask Gordy were did u get urs and what kinda money was involved if u don't mind me asking mate
Cheers

Gismo
24th August 2013, 05:59 AM
I had an 02 S and put on Eibach's, looked good but handled terrible, changed to full coilovers and had them professionally setup handled great, but, was way too stiff for road purposes.
A very fine balance for what you are seeking, but, if it's handling over ride then Coil Overs, looks only then it's lowering springs, i think most people specced sports suspension when ordering a new car.
If i ever wanted to repalce the shocks again i wouldn't spec sports suspension and just put the money to coil overs

Mon the fish
24th August 2013, 06:55 AM
Stock dampers were only designed to work with OEM springs. Shorter springs take them outwith their designed operating range.

APs will give you a better ride, and avoid reverse rake, for not much more than springs. Buy once, buy right IMO

Cooper S Scott
24th August 2013, 07:13 AM
Cool guys
I have been in many of my friends cars all different makes and models with coil over some set up as low as can go and as stiff as u get others no so low an stiff....
And they are good there is no taking it away
An totally understand what ur saying fish
Was just thinking of a cheaper option for the time being as getting married in a few months and no to sure if the wife would be happy spend our wedding found on coil overs lmao
However it's not to say I won't go down that road
But I remember having mk4 Astra gsi and I don't this just put loading springs on standard stock shocks an was told it will never work an will be this that an the next thing but actually worked out ok.
Don't get me wrong was only a small drop 25 or 30mm but I actually liked the fact it looked subtly standard
And still had the same ride comfort.
But again every car is different a suppose
Thanks for the info and advice guys

stoney
24th August 2013, 07:15 AM
I with mon on this one I did do a reply but not showing for some reason !!

stoney
24th August 2013, 07:18 AM
Springs will do the job but just not the best job I would hold off till after wedding then get coils I hopefully will be getting mine at x mas 😃

Gismo
24th August 2013, 07:34 AM
The car will handle way better on standard suspension than with lowering springs

john
24th August 2013, 11:38 AM
If you want your car to look low and wide then go for it.
However if you want to drive your car and enjoy it then don't mess with it! Do you think Mini did not consider making it wide and low? They made it sensible and useable.

I have had 13 minis and the only one that had different suspension was my race car.

Big Gordy
24th August 2013, 01:32 PM
Can I ask Gordy were did u get urs and what kinda money was involved if u don't mind me asking mate
Cheers

Jings....its a while ago....they were not new...sure I bought them from a guy off this website second hand .40 quid if I remember correctly.

boozeman
24th August 2013, 08:27 PM
I agree with everyone. I fitted coilovers to mine. Went stupidly low. But they're so adjustable you could lower 40 maybe 50mm all round and it'll handle much better than on springs. Saying that I ran blisten b8 shocks with ebach springs on a fiesta was very nice to drive. Spacers fit some 5mm and get slightly longer bolts. Looks a bit better but hardly adds weight.

Stavy
24th August 2013, 09:39 PM
Hi I got ap coilovers off orrange and went very low hit off everything
now I've got a fast road / track set up its raised up a bit but you have the option of looks or performance with them well worth the money

Cooper S Scott
24th August 2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys for all ur feed back
Will take all in to consideration it doesn't have to be as low as anything just wanted to drop it a wee bit closer to the wheels
An like I say hoping to keep an element of comfort as I said I kart my son about.
Also every now and again my better half uses it
An if it was down on the weeds am sure she would destroy my mini on something lol
:)
But again thank u guys will keep u guys updated on what road I go down
:)

Blueboy
16th September 2013, 05:23 AM
Just bought my first Mini, a Cooper S 2002 and have to say very impressed with the handling. And dealing in KW suspension every vehicle that I have owned has always had a set of V2's or V3's fitted as the best you can get IMO, but for now I don't think i'll bother as it drives like a go-kart and don't want to muck about with the handling and spoil it. I don't know if the previous owner has changed anything but it seems to sit nice n low at the moment, and is fitted with the larger 17" wheels with some nice Toyos on them
cheers Paul