PDA

View Full Version : Part worn tyres

boozeman
9th August 2013, 11:46 AM
What's everyone's opinion in part worn tyres?

the_r_sole
9th August 2013, 12:45 PM
wouldn't bother with them on my mini because it goes through tyres quick enough and I'd prefer to be confident in the rubber, used them on my old car and wouldn't have a problem using them on my pickup - think taxi drivers run them all the time too! saves a bit of cash

Gismo
9th August 2013, 01:59 PM
What's everyone's opinion in part worn tyres?They won't be brand new

Mon the fish
9th August 2013, 02:18 PM
The one area no-one should hobo on... tyres. You have no idea what's happened with them

Alex
9th August 2013, 03:44 PM
Personally I wouldn't touch them unless it was an emergency situation...

stoney
9th August 2013, 04:40 PM
The one area no-one should hobo on... tyres. You have no idea what's happened with them

This !!

Craig
9th August 2013, 04:55 PM
Not worth it.

There is only 2 things I don't skimp on and that's tyres and brakes. It's your cash but I'd buy new ;)

Big Gordy
9th August 2013, 05:00 PM
That's a no for me as well......they are the only things keeping you in contact with the road after all...!!!

Stewart
9th August 2013, 05:15 PM
I gave my front two RF 16” to my Neighbour a few doors down. His mini was getting serviced by one of his friends and he had said his two fronts were shot. I said your welcome to my old pair that were my rear tyres as long as the guy checked them and was happy. If it gives him another year then fair play I was happy to give him them for nothing. So both RF now on the wee Coop a few doors down. Better than in the Hut getting in my way.

Got to say I went down the non RF route and got four brand new Rainsport 16”. I don’t know but about six months after coming through Glen Coe just coming round the last bend down to the green Welly and I was following a Girl in a wee Fiat 500 in heavy rain sitting at 60 Mph. An old VW was sitting bonnet up on the otherside with the guy up an embankment on the phone round a bend and a Morrison’s Truck was over the double white lines on our side try to pass him. The wee Fiat went on the brakes hard and even ended up squint. The Cooper I was really impressed with pulled up straight and amazingly quick with all the anti skid tech kicking in to stop me going into the back of her.

Back of my mind was did the Rainsport’s stop me so well in the wet and if so it was the best £300 fitted I’ve ever spent. Begs the thought what would the old RF that were bordering on 2.5- 3 MM left in them on the front would have done.

boozeman
9th August 2013, 10:45 PM
I was just wondering, somebody offered me theirs for a really good price but I wasn't 100% on them.

stoney
10th August 2013, 07:02 AM
I was just wondering, somebody offered me theirs for a really good price but I wasn't 100% on them.

Well if not 100% would stay away !! I have done it in the past but not a good idea

boozeman
10th August 2013, 03:02 PM
Well if not 100% would stay away !! I have done it in the past but not a good idea

That was my reason for asking about. I need a full set of tyres at a decent price these came up but looking around for a few quid extra I can get a hold of a full set of brand new tyres.

Big Gordy
11th August 2013, 06:36 PM
If you know there history then it might not be too bad.....but if you're only saving 50-60 quid then why take the risk IMO.

boozeman
11th August 2013, 09:30 PM
If you know there history then it might not be too bad.....but if you're only saving 50-60 quid then why take the risk IMO.

Exactly my thought behind them. Plus £50 quid saving or is it because I might have to buy new sooner than I would normally

Stewart
11th August 2013, 09:43 PM
What the tread depth or have they only been on a car a matter of weeks or a month or two? If it’s a low a £50 difference then for £12.50 more a Corner I’d go new unless it was inferior cheaper tyre the new.

boozeman
12th August 2013, 12:04 AM
I think the tread depth was between 5-7mm across all 4 tyres. So in the end I've decided against it.

Si aldo
12th August 2013, 09:25 PM
Wouldn't bother with them on a MINI.

If you do short trips and speeds of less than 70mph, they might be an option.

Depends on your wallet I guess :)

boozeman
13th August 2013, 08:01 AM
It's just a case of finding a decent set of 4 235/35 r18 brand new. So far the best price I can get is £87 a tyre for toyo's

Big Gordy
13th August 2013, 08:51 AM
That's not too bad. My A4 runs 19's and I'm struggling to find a 'good' tyre for less than 200 quid a corner....:thud::thud::sheep:....and with it being a quattro it looks like I'm gonna need all 4.....:sad:

boozeman
13th August 2013, 10:46 PM
I bet they're a daft width too. My mates 5 series had some daft sized rear wheels as standard cost him a fortune for tyres

Big Gordy
14th August 2013, 07:55 AM
I bet they're a daft width too.

Don't think they're too daft a size (255/35 x 19") I've tried going up a size on the width and down a size on the profile but they just get dearer so ain't gonna go there...lol....30 profile is very skinny....!!! Best I've found so far is blackcircle. They have an 8000 tesco points bonus if you spend more than 800 quid on certain tyres which could relate to a £350 saving effectively which isn't to bad I suppose:rolleyes:

Crombers
14th August 2013, 12:12 PM
I use part worns on the Punto. I always get a matching pair & the current fronts (Barum's @ £20 each) have been on for over 18 months/12K.
When I put on a set of alloys 5 years ago they came with new Hankooks which were woeful, very interesting drifts in the wet.
I then tried new Uniroyals up front which were much better but the wear rate was shocking.
It sure as heck aint no performance car and as such is driven accordingly. The car is driven with economy in mind (currently showing 43mpg) & is mainly used to get to work & take the dog to the park every day.

As for the MINI I would never even consider p/w's. Again it isn't the fastest on the planet but it's driven with 'enthusiasm' & I need to know I've got good contact with mother earth :yes nod:

Mon the fish
16th August 2013, 08:07 AM
235 18s? What wheels you running?

boozeman
21st August 2013, 02:03 PM
I'm running s spikes at the moment but have a set of rota sdm 18x8 to fit. Need tyres. Well that and some spacers but they can wait till the tyres have been fitted

Mon the fish
21st August 2013, 03:04 PM
215s will fit surely?

boozeman
22nd August 2013, 11:51 AM
Yeah 215's fit. It was my mistake that's what I was advised to fit.

Mon the fish
22nd August 2013, 12:13 PM
What camber, ride height etc you running? And what offset are the wheels? Might take a bit of adjustment to make fit

boozeman
22nd August 2013, 01:56 PM
Honestly mate I couldn't tell you. I fitted coils and just lowered the death out if it. To make them fit it will need raising. Then 15mm rear & 13mm front spacers. Camber I'm insure of yet. But when I do finally get some tyres I will get them to fit