PDA

View Full Version : private plates

eddie 44
19th August 2004, 02:58 AM
looking for a private plate for my wifes new car, anyone have any
sites other than the DVLA... cheers :D

Sheilz
19th August 2004, 03:45 AM
Hi, there are loads of sites that you can get licence plates from. I spent ages going through various sites before I got mine. If you have an idea of what you want you can try making your own, old or new style. My plate was cheaper on the DVLA site than on others. Sorry cant remember any names of these sites but there are loads of them. There are some cracking plates out there with equally cracking price tags! Happy hunting!
:D:D:D

GAJ
19th August 2004, 04:37 AM
Most if not all of the affordable (for me anyway) plates are held by the DVLA. The other sites merely buy these from the DVLA and charge you a premium. People who already own private plates and want to sell them tend to ask silly money. Again these websites merely act as brokers for private sellers and make their profit by charging you more than they pay. I would look for something suitable on the DVLA site for maximum value for money; what sort of thing are you looking for?

Nenah
19th August 2004, 04:41 AM
The DVLA price is inclusive of transfer fee and VAT whilst the other sellers charge you this on top of their advertised price.

The DVLA site is really crap to navigate and search on and they dont have online buying and DLV office s only open till 5pm to place and order - so persist and you'll eventually find what youre looking for!

X30YES
19th August 2004, 04:49 AM
DVLA is the cheapest as the others buy from them and add the mark up ...if its a new reg number ie never reg'd.....just read GAJ reply,and her from Oz oops:D:I

AberdeenMini
19th August 2004, 06:46 AM
Get onto google and type in "private reg plates". I've been looking for a while now and as everyones saying, the DVLA site is probably the cheapest, usually only by a few quid tho! :)

sleepyrascal
19th August 2004, 07:29 AM
Aye but DVLA, as scary OZ woman says, is inclusive of the 80 quid trnsfer fee etc. I'm lookin to get a plate at the moment and I cant find a reason not to use DVLA. Check out the DVLA auction pages also! There are some bargains on some really cool plates! Mind you, the price can swell this way depending on what you want. A friend of mine wanted D RO881E (David Robbie). He ended up paying over £2500 for it. But then it is an exclusive plate.

john
19th August 2004, 07:38 AM
You could do what I did:)

I bought a car for the reg then sold the car at a profiet:cool:

sleepyrascal
19th August 2004, 07:44 AM
You could do what JOhn did ! I also, could do what John did. .. Think I'm gona do what JOhn did. Well, try.

john
19th August 2004, 07:47 AM
here is a bargain

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43123&item=2487316635&rd=1

monkimagic
19th August 2004, 09:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by john

here is a bargain

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43123&item=2487316635&rd=1

a perfect way to do it

Monki

monkimagic
19th August 2004, 10:03 AM
Depends on what you want, I have been looking at newreg.com who have a bargain bin thing, I found this at £290 ( Y4 JKC ), they have lots at around the £230 mark if all you want is a short reg.

Have a look

Monki

Julz
19th August 2004, 04:13 PM
These folk were very helpful when I got Rob his plate!!

New Reg (http://www.newreg.co.uk/)

X30YES
19th August 2004, 06:32 PM
DVLA ....C16 NMS £399.. M16 NMS £250.. and lots of JCW @ £250 !!!!!even MCS at 250-499:D

Scottie
19th August 2004, 06:37 PM
I want F1 0NA guess the price £80,000.00.

R7 ETH
19th August 2004, 06:40 PM
Marie's mums pal has AA 4, the AA apperently offered her a six figure sum and she declined:eek:. The plate is on a jeep Cheroke :eek:

Julz
19th August 2004, 06:45 PM
My mates gran owns DOC 999!! Tried to buy ROB 964M, but it turned out the car it was on failed it's MOT and was scraped!!:(:(

KenL
19th August 2004, 06:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by monkimagic

Depends on what you want, I have been looking at newreg.com who have a bargain bin thing, I found this at £290 ( Y4 JKC ), they have lots at around the £230 mark if all you want is a short reg.

Have a look

Monki

Do newreg.com include the £80 reg fee in the price?
DVLA have loads of plates fpr £250 and that includes the reg fee.

KenL
19th August 2004, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know what you do if you get a new reg and then want to transfer it onto another car?

Do you have to pay £80 to get a bog-standard plate that you are selling/trading in?

Does it cost anything to put your plate onto another car?

If you have to pay these 3 charges then it could be pretty pricey just keeping a plate.

R7 ETH
19th August 2004, 07:03 PM
I have N40 BJW on retention and it will cost me £80 to have it put on another car or after a year on retention i can claim back £80 and give the plate back to DVLA.
If you want to transfer the reg it will cost £80 to put on the new car then the old car willbe nominated a new reg (usually it is the original one)

Scottie
19th August 2004, 07:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by R7 ETH

Marie's mums pal has AA 4, the AA apperently offered her a six figure sum and she declined:eek:. The plate is on a jeep Cheroke :eek:

Oh that's freaky I used to know someone that had a few plates like that from Bridge of Allan.

Big Gordy
19th August 2004, 08:57 PM
Our plate was out of the DVLA's £250 bargain bucket and yes it includes ALL the fee's :p:D:approve:

Smurf
19th August 2004, 11:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Our plate was out of the DVLA's £250 bargain bucket and yes it includes ALL the fee's :p:D:approve:

Mine too, and my Dad's.....
(Looks like he's following in my footsteps now, not the other way round!!)

GAJ
19th August 2004, 11:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Mine too, and my Dad's.....
(Looks like he's following in my footsteps now, not the other way round!!)

My auld man did the exact same! No individuality, these auld yins!:evil:

Steve74
19th August 2004, 11:57 PM
Just bought mine too for £250. DVLA is pretty good. Even some MCS ones left! Well only if your name is Yankee 999!

Nenah
20th August 2004, 12:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by AberdeenMini

Get onto google and type in "private reg plates". I've been looking for a while now and as everyones saying, the DVLA site is probably the cheapest, usually only by a few quid tho! :)

This women from OZ has a name u know! :p And what's with the scary part...you've never sat in my passanger seat!

Nenah
20th August 2004, 12:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by john

You could do what I did:)

I bought a car for the reg then sold the car at a profiet:cool:

I bought my car with reg M3 RPM - I've had an M3 driver stop and ask me if I'd sell it and one note left on my windscreen from another M3 driver...you may wonder why I have M3 on a mini? Unfortunately, its not mine to sell (long story) it will be replaced with XII BBR (No.12/50 BBR) soon.

Gismo
20th August 2004, 01:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by Nenah-M3RPM
it will be replaced with XII BBR (No.12/50 BBR) soon.
And a nice price it is too, i can't remember what number my BBR is, i ditched the stickers and opted for stealth :p

Nenah
20th August 2004, 02:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by Nenah-M3RPM
it will be replaced with XII BBR (No.12/50 BBR) soon.
And a nice price it is too, i can't remember what number my BBR is, i ditched the stickers and opted for stealth :p
Yep, £499 is quite reasonable. If only! In Oz you can have full words on you plates without numbers so theyre easier to understand. I finalised the order today as just received my new rego papers...well pleased.

eddie 44
20th August 2004, 05:34 PM
thanx folks you have been most helpful :)
off to start trawling the web cheers.
only probs her names pamela & they all
seem to start at a grand :mad: maybe have
to change her name :clown:

GAJ
20th August 2004, 05:53 PM
I considered changing my name to ST 52 SRL in order to have a personalised plate and save a few bob!

MartinSullivan
20th August 2004, 06:03 PM
It costs £39 to change your name by deed poll, thats a saving of over £200 on the cheapest DVLA plates - think of the stuff you could buy for your car with the money you saved :cool:

You can fill the deed poll forms in online here

UK Deed Poll Service (http://www.ukdps.co.uk/)

Smurf
21st August 2004, 12:17 AM
How easy is it to transfer the number to a new car? I bought my number specially for my MINI before it was ready, and the dealer did all the necessary paperwork to apply it to the car. However, I'm thinking of changing to another MINI next year, and I was wondering how much hassle it is to change the number to a new car. The dealer will naturally do it all for me, but the trade in price on the car will be about 2K less than selling it privately.......

Anyone sold their car privately, and kept the number for a new car?
Any tales to tell? (Silly question, I know....)

Steve74
21st August 2004, 12:36 AM
Change your name to Mini Cooper!

Smurf
21st August 2004, 12:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by Steve74

Change your name to Mini Cooper!

Very helpful, thanks.........

X30YES
21st August 2004, 06:18 AM
£80 transfer fee and takes about a week

X30YES
21st August 2004, 06:21 AM
Deed Poll ....yes its cheaper ...but think of the other probs , bank accounts NI number CC etc etc !!! will cost more in the long run I bet ;)
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

It costs £39 to change your name by deed poll, thats a saving of over £200 on the cheapest DVLA plates - think of the stuff you could buy for your car with the money you saved :cool:

You can fill the deed poll forms in online here

UK Deed Poll Service (http://www.ukdps.co.uk/)

Craig
24th August 2004, 12:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

How easy is it to transfer the number to a new car? I bought my number specially for my MINI before it was ready, and the dealer did all the necessary paperwork to apply it to the car. However, I'm thinking of changing to another MINI next year, and I was wondering how much hassle it is to change the number to a new car. The dealer will naturally do it all for me, but the trade in price on the car will be about 2K less than selling it privately.......

Anyone sold their car privately, and kept the number for a new car?
Any tales to tell? (Silly question, I know....)

If you want to sell your car privately, then you will have to put your "plate" on retention. Forms are available from most large post offices or from DVLA offices in Glasgow or Edinburgh. You fill it out and take the form to one of the DVLA offices with your £80 and they will then re-register your old car with another plate. You then give the retention cert to the dealer to use to put your "cherished number" onto your new car when they are registering it. If you are going to make £2k on the deal, the little bit of running about you have to do is worth it. I've had to do this with 2 cars and a motor bike, and it is not that much of a problem, apart from the DVLA's opening times.

Craig

Smurf
24th August 2004, 02:30 AM
Thanks very much Craig, that seems quite straightforward. :D

Now all I have to do is work out what I'll do without a car for up to 3 months, if I manage to sell mine privately while I'm waiting for a new one to be built!! :eek:

Cheers,
Vaila.