PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Plastic Trim..?

Alex
24th July 2013, 12:07 AM
I am looking to make the exterior plastic trim on my car (R56) nice and shiny like the gloss finish that you get on the A and C pillars.

Has anyone tried this? I am looking for something that is permanent as opposed to the likes of "back to black" trim cleaners.

Just looking for options before I go down the trim off and paint it route!

Cheers

Alex

stoney
24th July 2013, 07:50 AM
It's trim off and paint I'm afraid :)

EcosseGP
24th July 2013, 08:01 AM
^^ just like Rob says. Be warned though the stone chips can make it look tatty over a period of time.

At 8000rpm no-one hears you scream !

N16SHP
24th July 2013, 08:54 AM
Craig painted the trim on his old JCW. Have a look at his thread HERE (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?18039-Craig-s-Black-Eye-Purple-R53-Cooper-S-JCW/page8)

Craig
24th July 2013, 10:47 AM
Yeah as Neil says I painted mine black. But be aware as Davy says stones chips can make it look quite tatty after a while ;)

Looks great tho !

Alex
24th July 2013, 10:52 AM
Yeah as Neil says I painted mine black. But be aware as Davy says stones chips can make it look quite tatty after a while ;)

Looks great tho !

It does look rather nice :) stone chips are the bane of my cars life, have two massive ones where I can only assume a couple of meteorites smashed into the bonnet...

Crombers
25th July 2013, 12:10 AM
Yup painted is your only opt. Mine are well overdue a re-paint (still look ok'ish) but I'd go for it any day of the week as opposed to the back to black troll :yes nod:

Mon the fish
25th July 2013, 02:08 PM
Dodo Juice Supernatural Trim Sealant has lasted me a year, for one application. Best stuff I've used. Apply, then just buff it when you wash the car

EcosseGP
25th July 2013, 02:27 PM
If the exterior trim is looking faded and worn Auto finesse revive will sort it out. Use a degreaser to take off any current product you have on there (G101 or similar) dry off then apply sparing using a sponge leave to dry and buff off. Job done and beads like a wax and doesn't run (unless you apply too much) .. I like painted trim but on the MINI don't think it's possible as they'll take all the hits from stones getting thrown up from the tyres ..

At 8000rpm no-one hears you scream !

bpirie1000
25th July 2013, 07:26 PM
Have seen the plastics venal wrapped and they ain't to bad.... If they get chipped just take em off and re wrap.
. Saves sanding painting laborious task..

Alex
26th July 2013, 05:48 PM
Have seen the plastics venal wrapped and they ain't to bad.... If they get chipped just take em off and re wrap.
. Saves sanding painting laborious task..

I might have a look into that :)