PDA

View Full Version : Coolant loss

d.oxley72
17th July 2013, 06:53 PM
Went to check the levels today and found the coolant tank completely empty. I know I haven't checked the level for at least a fortnight and the weather has been hot, but this is the first time since I bought the car, has this happened.

I have been a lot of miles over the past fortnight, but the warning sensor has not triggered.

I've refilled the tank and checked the hoses and container for leaks while the engine is running. So far so ok.

Will book the car into the garage hopefully this week, but was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

EcosseGP
17th July 2013, 08:02 PM
Yeah it's a common fault for the coolant reservoir to split .. What model you got ?

At 8000rpm no-one hears you scream !

Mon the fish
17th July 2013, 08:04 PM
You in an R56? Can leak at water pump

d.oxley72
17th July 2013, 10:06 PM
I've got a 2008 ONE 1.4

Alex from NM
17th July 2013, 11:19 PM
Thermostat housing too. Have a feel about on top of the gearbox

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

EcosseGP
18th July 2013, 08:33 AM
If you have a look around the engine bay there should be tell tale signs of where the coolant has leaked from .. Look for a blue or white dried patch on the engine or engine bay. Could it be that there was no fluid in the car or it was very low ?

At 8000rpm no-one hears you scream !

d.oxley72
18th July 2013, 03:19 PM
Got a call from the garage with the prognosis : it's the water pump. :sad:

Stewart
18th July 2013, 04:47 PM
I always feel there is a distinctive MINI noise for the early ones right through to the R56 etc, hard to explain a low speed whine some more pronounced than others. I often feel is it the water pump or steering rack. Thing is it seems to be the norm the noise. Hope it gets fixed without to much bother.

Water pumps seem to be a weakness, I really should check my car more as I cant remember the last time I had the bonnet up. But it was checked when it got serviced just before May.

d.oxley72
22nd July 2013, 08:45 AM
Got the water pump fixed in good time on Friday. MINI is now behaving itself.