PDA

View Full Version : Sir Andy Murray?

N16SHP
9th July 2013, 09:30 AM
So, I'm pretty sure we all watched Andy Murray win on Sunday and I for one will admit to firing up a status on Facebook saying "now rise Sir Andy Murray". There was a really interesting debate on Breakfast this morning about Andy possibly getting a knighthood. What is everyone's thoughts? Has the Queen gone mad and started handing them out left right and centre? My comment was more once Andy retires he should be given a knighthood, I think it's too premature to give it to someone who is 26. What if he wins another 6 Wimbledon's, 4 US Opens and an Oz Open...how shall he be acknowledged then if he is already knighted?

Discuss?

Mon the fish
9th July 2013, 01:24 PM
Not until John Surtees is recognised, a disgrace he has been overlooked.

- - - Updated - - -

And to add - I don't agree with handing these things out for doing your job. Admittedly very well in Andy's case, and congrats to him. But he won Wimbledon for him, and him alone. He wasn't wearing his country's jersey, for example.

If I have a good day at work, do I get a knighthood? They should be for service to country/community, such as establishing a charitable foundation, or as in Sir JYS's case, for all his work on safety, which a lot of people can thank him for their lives.

So no, I don't think he should get one.

stoney
9th July 2013, 02:59 PM
No he should not nor should footballers tho I don't see why you should get a knighthood for playing sport as mon said its there job they get paid very well for it !!

Mon the fish
9th July 2013, 03:36 PM
Sadly, I also don't see this having a lasting positive impact on health and wellbeing.

Our country is too fat and lazy.

rpn
9th July 2013, 08:24 PM
I agreed 26 is too young but what about that cyclist guy, Wiggo, last year?

gauldrymini
9th July 2013, 09:56 PM
...arise Sir Andy of Murray :tennis:

d.oxley72
10th July 2013, 04:26 AM
Andy Murray's win was a great achievement but I don't think it merits a knighthood.
Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins at least won multiple titles as well as Olympic golds before being knighted, however I think the media spotlight pushed the way their honours were chosen.
Sadly, the honours system has become trivialised in this modern age. Admidly Harold Wilson tried to be popular by giving The Beatles MBEs, back in 1965.

It's the Honours Committee (https://www.gov.uk/honours), to which nominations are submitted and selected.

KenL
10th July 2013, 08:35 PM
I am firmly in the yes camp.

As much as I greatly admire Chris Hoy, both he and Wiggo owe much or their success to the team who support them during the event. This is most evident in the Tour de France. Andy is absolutely out there on his own.

So yes, arise Sir Andrew.

ps Was anyone else embarrassed by Salmond appearing at the final with his Saltire?

AndyP & Lenore
10th July 2013, 11:02 PM
Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins at least won multiple titles as well as Olympic golds before being knighted...

ps Was anyone else embarrassed by Salmond appearing at the final with his Saltire?

<<Wades into a discussion about someone I regard as, quite simply, my hero... :D

"Multiple titles" for Wiggo and Hoy... Are you forgetting Andy's 28 Titles including 2 Majors (slam titles) and Olympic Gold and Silver?

It's too early to tell if he has inspired a nation to play more tennis, but it already looks quite positive. An extra £5.8m in funding for Tennis Scotland over the next few years - actually not a lot of cash when you spread it out, but it's a step in the right direction. I spoke to my coach on Monday and he's expecting a strong increase on an already over-subscribed coaching plan after the summer is over.

Salmond was a tit, simples. Worst case of photobombing I've ever seen. I suspect he didn't intend to steal anyone's thunder, but it didn't come off well. And, he broke Wimbledon rules.

But does Andy deserve a Knighthood? Hmmm. Not absolutely convinced myself. To be honest, I'm not sure he will have a better period in the future of his career - bear in mind he currently holds 2 slam titles, Olympic Gold & Silver medals. No other player on the planet can say that at the moment. He may be No 2 in the world, but the general consensus among the "experts" is that he is, right now, the best player in the world, and it's only a matter of time - and points - to reach No 1. If he was to perform reasonably well in the US Open series, retain US open title, do better in this years Asian swing, then hopefully win the Australian Open, he would be the current holder of 3 slam titles, and the Olympic medals. Now THAT, no matter what anyone says, deserves recognition.

I would say Andy is at the current peak of his game. I can see a period of stability for the next couple of years where he either wins or at least is a finalist in ALL the slams, before "old age" simply takes it's natural course and his game drops off.

Do they wait until he's stopped winning titles? Or do they wait until he's retired and either; taken up golf or dedicated his life to philanthropy?

I suspect they will strike while the iron is hot, he's winning titles, winning slams and is a current Olympic Gold medalist.

N16SHP
11th July 2013, 11:21 AM
I am firmly in the yes camp.

As much as I greatly admire Chris Hoy, both he and Wiggo owe much or their success to the team who support them during the event. This is most evident in the Tour de France. Andy is absolutely out there on his own.

Ken, I'm afraid I have to disagree here. Yes Chris Hoy and Wiggo have a great team, but for Chris on the track and Brad in the time trial, they are completely on their own. There is no difference to Andy, he has a huge team in his corner, Coach, Training, Physio, Hitting Partner, Brand Manager etc etc but when he is on the court, he's on his own. The only thing I do agree with is you cannot win a Grand Tour on your own, you need a good team around you to protect you.

Very much agree Mr P. that Andy is totally in his prime. Very interesting what the likes of Cash, Becker and Wilander are saying - gone are the days where a 17 year old can win a grand slam. The guys who are 23, 24, 25 are where the wins are going to come from.

d.oxley72
11th July 2013, 04:56 PM
I no issue with Salmond waving his flag. I didn't expect anything different from him.
Maybe, he wasn't allowed to dress up as Mel Gibson and yell 'See that Andy boy, he's SCOTTISH!!!' while swigging at a bottle of Buckie, which isn't really in keeping with the environs of Wimbledon.

KenL
11th July 2013, 05:57 PM
Whisky yes, but buckie has nothing to do with Scotland apart from some peoples' habits and regrettable behaviour!

- - - Updated - - -

Wiggo.

Timetrial, yes he is on his own but his knighthood was for the tour de france - a team game.

Sir Chris.

Some (all, I don't know) were team events.

I am not knocking either or them, they totally deserve their adulation (from me also BTW), I just think Andy is right up there.

MINIme:)
12th July 2013, 02:05 AM
interesting. I am delighted that Andy won, really pleased for him, really proud he's 'one of ours' etc but a knighthood. Hmmm. I think the meaning of a knighthood has been completely lost. I've no idea what it is supposed to represent now so it's hard to judge if he should be deemed 'worthy'. I'm sure I could go and look up the rationale of the honour, but it's 2am, I'm not long in the door and going to bed in the reasonably near future seems a sensible choice. If it has been totally diluted into general hero worship (and I am not dissing the worshiping of heroes) rather than something about, I don't know, is it contribution to the country or something?? then if the meaning has changed maybe it will upset a lot of people if he doesn't get one. But I'm not sure that his massive and exciting win is the achievement that a knighthood was meant to represent. I'm not sure I'm making any sense :D
So perhaps more importantly.... who saw me on telly :D :lol: :Whistle:

also, if he does get one, I'll be delighted

AndyP & Lenore
12th July 2013, 10:22 PM
Jo, an extract from The Honours System web site.

"Knight/Dame
This is awarded for having a major contribution in any activity, usually at national level. Other people working in the nominee’s area will see their contribution as inspirational and significant, requiring commitment over a long period of time."

Does winning the most prestigious tennis tournament on the planet constitute a "major contribution" to the sport? Especially taking into account he's the first British man to do so for 77 years, all his previous achievements, titles, recent charitable work and so on... I say YES, he should receive a Knighthood.

https://www.gov.uk/honours/types-of-honours-and-awards

MINIme:)
13th July 2013, 03:16 PM
ah well thank you Mr Poole! Now I see that then Yes, I think he does. General 'we never win anything' 'we'll never produce anyone good enough to win' type apathy has been turned on its head. That's a pretty good contribution ;)